Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would recommend getting a class A MH. They are easier to maneuver and if you tow a car you can unhook it before going into the campground to make it easier to park into the spot. If you love the 5th wheel you have you might consider putting a camera system on it (if you don't have one already). Having rear and side cameras might help you maneuver your trailer into the campground slot worry free.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #16

Doc, Welcome to the forum. I would opt for the MH and personally wouldn't go back to towing, TT or 5er...

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Setting up

Hey Doc, When I get there I only do what is necessary for the firstnight. Then on the second (or third) day I finish off. Then I'm not exhausted. I do the same in reverse when it's time to leave. We've had trailers, vans, tents and 5 Class "A"s and we won't go over 32ft (with 2 slides). We stay with a Class A cause we have no mechanical skills.

You have to get over that "work ethic" thing.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #18

Started camping with a van and a tent. Next a TT with bunk beds for the kids. Kids gone, purchase a 28ft. MH no slides, traded for a gas 38ft. MH with slide. Cannot go back. Next MH will be a diesel and have at least 2 slides.
Have traveled with a friend who has a 5er, I back into site, push button to level, hook up water,sewer,electric. Push button for slide to go out. Set out two chairs under awning, time for a cold one. My friend has a lot more to do to be setup and the same is true when leaving. Stopping for one night or a rest, no slide out, can fix a meal, take a bath, sleep, watch TV(no generator-inverter) surf the internet(mobile mifi).
My wife drove the 28ft. when we test drove the 38ft. she was the one driving, should have seen the saleman face.
My two cents: If you get sick! who drives?? If you are both capable of driving its a plus.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #19
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doc, we loved our slide-in and our TT. Never did a 5er due to some hairpin turns to our house. Loved them all when I was younger. Now I like the convenience of turning the key and go. Not that simple but close to it. I miss my old 3/4 ton and duallys but now we bothi have wranglers and we tow mine all 4 down. Stow master hitch is so easy to hook up the wife sometimes gets to it before I finish storing the shore power.

I think you will find camping a lot easier and more enjoyable. Get an automatic awning and leveling system will reduce a lot of setup work.

I hope you find what works for you. Everyone is here if you need help. I have had a lot of help from other on this site.

Good luck!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We owned a really nice 33' 5th wheel before our current 34' MH and loved the floor plan and the quality of construction in the 5th wheel but there is no comparison in the ease of setting up the MH vs the 5th wheel. Unhooking the toad which we tow 4 wheels down is a snap. A lot of times we do that right at the check in if it looks like the campground is going to be tight turns or hilly. Backing the MH is a breeze. The auto levelers make leveling a snap. Not much difference in putting the slides out and hooking up the electric, water and sewer. We also like running all around when we are set up in the Vue instead of a one ton, crew cab, LWB dually that we had to pull the 5th wheel. Anyway that is my two cents worth.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #21

Hi Doc, looks like you got alot of good info. I am a retired cross country trucker. I am accustomed to backing a trailer, but semi trailers are very much easier to back despite their size. I have a 99 alpine 36 ft diesel pusher, love it. Yes its easy to park, a 40 ft is really getting a little big, but like Jim & BJ said about the freightliner turning radius makes sense, but some parks are small and you still need room to manuver. Automatic leavlers are wonderful..jusr push a button and it is done. Automatic rewind on water & electric would be great for you. Like time & BJ sid, with a pusher, the noise is behind you, and you have a flat floor, no need to be an acrobat to get. in the drivers seat Love my diesel pusher,its our very first RV. Good wishes in what ever you decide.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trucker View Post
Hi Doc, looks like you got alot of good info. I am a retired cross country trucker. I am accustomed to backing a trailer, but semi trailers are very much easier to back despite their size. I have a 99 alpine 36 ft diesel pusher, love it. Yes its easy to park, a 40 ft is really getting a little big, but like Jim & BJ said about the freightliner turning radius makes sense, but some parks are small and you still need room to manuver. Automatic leavlers are wonderful..jusr push a button and it is done. Automatic rewind on water & electric would be great for you. Like time & BJ sid, with a pusher, the noise is behind you, and you have a flat floor, no need to be an acrobat to get. in the drivers seat Love my diesel pusher,its our very first RV. Good wishes in what ever you decide.

OT, the front of my Freightliner Columbia is a bit noisy compared to a pusher, BUT when I want to leave early and my wife is sleeping in the back, she glides along in peaceful rest, nice and quiet
Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #23

Hi Doc, listen to swampdog and others. I have the same with my son. By the time he is set up, I've already had my first refreshment. Also recommend calling or getting in touch with MShappy campers. From the number of posts he is full of info. Welcometo the forum.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
hi and welcome i use to have a 31 foot travel trailer and got sick and tired of always leveling etc, i recently bought a 32 foot motorhome and love it when i get to where i am going i just un hook the jeep that i tow behing so i have a vehical to drive and park the mh in its place hit a button and it levels it self, another button the slides come out and another button the awaning extends, the only hooking up i need to do is water, sewer and electric, so about 5 min of work and done, and also have alot more space in the mh than the trailer, so i would say get a mh and i love the 32 foot great to monuver and i find it easyer to back in to tight spots than the trailer, jim
Old 01-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't speak to what is best for your personal situation since everyones needs are so different but as an 2011 Insignia owner I am a very happy camper.
Within a couple of years we went from a 31' tt to a 38' mh and finally our 40' Entegra Insignia, and I would NEVER go back. It is the most comfortable best built coach for the $ on the market.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #26

Jimbooth, what type of mh do you now have that is 32' ? Where could I see the floorplan, etc ?

Doc S
Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have a coachman mirada 32 bh, love the floor plan we wanted something with bunks so we can take our dogs and also freinds and also have a space for extrar stuff, love this floor plan and they have others also. with mine the bathe room is all contained in one room and its situated nicely with plenty of room for us. when we go camping we usually take the top bunk matress out and use that bunk for our bar area we keep an ice maker up there drinks and liqure and the only issue is its a tight fit t use the bathroom with the slidout in since the door opend but not the while way but it works still can get in and out, also with the bottom bunk we use it as extra closet space for our long trips like we are going to be going on in febary gonna be gone for over a month first time in this unit. i got this coach for around $70.000.00, tow a jeep behind or a utility trailer with the golfcart on it when we go to the private camp in the mountains. if you want to see pics of this unit you can try Shop Boat N RV for Boating and Camping Fun | RV and Boats for Sale | New & Used RV Dealer |New York Trailer | South Carolina Trailers | Tennessee Trailers | Pennsylvania Trailers |Boat-N-RV Supercenter or http://coachmenrv.com/.well hope this helps and dont be afraid to ask anymore questions will gladly help
Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #28

I agree that motorhome is much easier, and diesel pusher usually has better ride, and quiet up front. Make sure you look at floorplan, with slides in and slides out. A quick stop for lunch with slides in or stopping at a Walmart for the night with slides in is pretty nice option, but only if you can use it with the slides in.