Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Smile Looking for Advice

To all my "new Friends" -

I'm looking for advice and or opinions. We currently have an "08 Kingston 5th wheel being pulled by an '08 chevy 3/4 ton. The combination travels well with very little problem. The problem comes in when I or my wife have to maneuver the camper into the campground slot. We only go out maybe 5 or 6 times a year at this point, so lack of practice is one problem. The other problem is setting up the camper as I am on oxygen and stooping and bending is quite a chore. My wife is quite able and willing but hate for her to have to do it all.
My point - we want to camp and travel more but feel these problems and a few other little things make us not want "the hassle". Let's just stay home.

We are considering trading for a 40' Jayco Insignia motor home. Just about everything on the unit is automatic and we feel we could both park it easier than maneuvering a truck and trailer. We have used a couple of other motor homes ( borrowed ) in the past. I could go on, but please give me some feedback and thoughts, am I thinking the right direction or just need to stay with what I have and "practice" more ?

Also being new to the forum, will someone please send me an email to DrSaum@cableone.net giving me directions on how to get to any replies made to my questions ? I'm sure that sounds somewhat ignorant but I'm new to this whole process and do appreciate the help !

Doc Saum

Doc S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just my thoughts - do you really need 40' of motorhome? You get a lot of great features in rigs a little shorter and they tend to be easier to maneuver, especially in tight situations. Less length won't reduce your set-up time, but it might give you a little more flexibility. Good luck and happy camping with whatever you decide.

Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doc Saum;

We are happy you joined us. There is a wealth of information available to you on this site just by asking. We have a great group here who like to help when they can. I would suggest you start a new thread in the Class A Motorhome Discussions Forum. You will likely receive more replies there . Click Here

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Doc Saum and welcome to the forum.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Doc and welcome. We are newbie RVers having bought our first in November! Therefore, I don't have a lot of advice. Having never owned a 5th wheel nor any travel trailer, I can't really say whether a motorhome would be less prep work or not. There is a LOT of "stuff" to do when setting up or breaking down at a campsite, even with the automated systems on new RVs. I guess I'd say to do lots of looking, comparing floor plans and features, and try to decide what would work best for you....it's a BIG investment to end up disappointed!

A 40 footer is a sizeable moho. Demoon is correct; a smaller coach will be easier to maneuver and there a lots of great floorplans to choose. Good luck to you.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

Welcome to IRV2 and you will get a lot of information here but I will enter my 2 cents.

Since you are looking for something easy to manever and setup I would recommend A moltorhome no longer than a 33 footer. They have plenty of room with the slideouts out, have hydraulic jacks for leveling and ease of connecting at campsite. Now I am a little prediguous by I like my Winnebago Adventurer on a Workhorse Chassis.

I would also recommend a gas powered unit as opposed to a diesel rig as there is more maintenance to do on a diesel than gas and I personally don't think you ever get your money out of it due to the expense to purchase ( I will probably get a lot of flack with that statement) plus people don't keep them over 100K which they will go.

So in recap I would get a motorhome that is gas powered and really no longer than 35'.

Good Luck!
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P,Ford F-53, V-10
2011 Ford Escape,2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
"Have a Great Day, Enjoy RVing."
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum. I'd agree that the Class A motor home forum would be a good place to start.

I'd say that having a self contained MH over a TT would save you both quite a bit of labor, especially when traveling since you can just stop anywhere for a meal and relax, or sleep for a bit.

One feature you might look for that isn't standard is a retractable power cord. The 50 amp cords are a bear in cool or cold weather and that would save you a lot of exertion.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Doc! I thought that name looked familar! You're right here in Columbus! Spent many hours in your office last year! Give me a call and lets talk RV'ing!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Doc Saum. With a person who has COPD I know from which you speak about the trials and difficulties of stooping and bending. I have never owned a 5th wheel but I have owned a travel trailer. Setting up the motorhome is breeze compared to the trailer. If you like the floorplan of the 40' Entegra Insignia I would think that would be a lot easier than your current 5ver. 40' is not a hard coach to drive, manuver, or park. The 2011 Insignia is on a Freightliner XCR chassis with a 55 degree wheel cut. The Freighterliner XRC has been manufactured for years (one is under my coach) and is a proven chassis. Jayco/Entegra, from what I've read, produces a quality coach. The diesel pusher does cost more in annual maintenance than a gas unit. However, when you're travel the engine noise is in the rear instead of next to your right leg. The air ride suspension is going to be smoother than the truck suspension on the gas units. In the motorhome almost all the setup can be done by pushing buttons inside the coach. The only outside chores necessary are hooking up the electric, water and sewer cables/hoses. If you're planning on towing a vehicle with the coach, that too can be setup so that hooking up and unhooking can be done with minimal effort. It could be the way for you to continue RVing and getting out rather that sitting home avoiding "the hassle".
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
if i had to fight a t/t to camp, i just wouldn't camp.i watch my brother in-law fight setting up his t/t every time we go camping, and by time he gets it done he needs a bath.it takes me all of 5 min to set up my mh.
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Freightliner Owners Club
Tom, I've been looking at the new adventurer and impressed with its features and interior layout. One concern I have is the shorter wheelbase and some posts I've read about excessive swaying. Before our class c 28' RV we owned a 31' bouncer that was a disaster when it came to stability. I would hate to ave that cornice again. Any input?
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Doc, welcome to the forum, whatever you do, don't give up traveling, get yourselves a nice Dynamax Isata, around 30'. Get it fully loaded, it practically sets itself up and more importantly they are a breeze to handle. Nothing like a nice class C. If you need it, tow a small car 4 down. Make things as easy as you can for yourselves, you deserve it, if not now, when?
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Wow folks, I am really impressed with all of you. Great information and suggestions. Exactly what I am looking for. I understand the decision is up to us, but I feel there is nothing like other folks experiences to help guide you !

I think I might pose one other question to all of you ---- is there anyone out there that would reverse there decision ( forgetting the money issues involved ) And go back to a truck and travel trailer ???

Thanks, Doc
Doc S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Hi Doc

Here is a quick story. My DW and I have a routine when we get to a sight and ready to setup. I'm responsible for parking, blocking, leveling, awning, chairs, etc. basically everything outside. She does everything inside like slides (3), putting thing out that have been tucked away for travel and she makes us each a drink.

When we had the 5er she would be done before me. Now with our motorhome with all it's conveniences I'm pushing buttons and I'm done in no time and make drinks for both of us. It's so easy and much more relaxing.

KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote