Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Looking for advice from those who have already done it.

Trying to be proactive this year and working on getting the rig ready for colder weather.

I'm looking to add a wireless outside thermometer with alarm into the wet-bay and hose bay. When doing the research, I find many options, too many

Have any of you already done this? I want to install a unit that will actually last a few years. Most of the reviews I read on any given product states that they're great out of the box....then 6 months later........boom!

Any help or new ideas will be appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #2

I added one (but without alarm) cheap one from walmart. I wanted an alarm one but just got a cheap one.

After using it last winter, I found that I could keep the wet bay warm enough with 2 60watt bulbs.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks JManatee. I have heat to the bays via the furnace...but I don't really know if it's enough. I really like the idea of the alarm. If something does go wrong it would wake me up before freezing takes place...hopefully

BTW, how cold were your temps last winter?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

Take a look at diycontrols.com. They have a number of temp alarms that can be connected to a cellular terminal, so that it calls your cell phone if temps exceed preset levels, or if the power goes out. I set one up to detect high temps inside the coach for when we leave the mutts in the bus, but they work the same way for low temps.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdmoore View Post
Thanks JManatee. I have heat to the bays via the furnace...but I don't really know if it's enough. I really like the idea of the alarm. If something does go wrong it would wake me up before freezing takes place...hopefully

BTW, how cold were your temps last winter?
I have a heater in the bay too but I am staying on site while we build our new house... So I am living with 20amp service. (requires serious power management) anyway I didn't want to have to run the bay heat.

It got cold I am in SW New Hampshire
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdmoore View Post
Trying to be proactive this year and working on getting the rig ready for colder weather.

I'm looking to add a wireless outside thermometer with alarm into the wet-bay and hose bay. When doing the research, I find many options, too many

Have any of you already done this? I want to install a unit that will actually last a few years. Most of the reviews I read on any given product states that they're great out of the box....then 6 months later........boom!

Any help or new ideas will be appreciated
We have purchased several thermometers with wireless outside thermometers over the years. We have had very poor luck with them. Inevitably the wireless outside thermometer fails. This has not been reliable for us at all.

Many have reported good luck. To date, we have not been able to find out why we have this problem.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
KIX

About 2 years ago I bought a used (Craigslist) battery powered thermometer. So far it's been working with the temp sender outside and no problems. The brand is Oregon Scientific. I think I paid $10
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #8

ditto on the oregon scientific have had mine for about 6 years good battery life too
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #9

I have had three - 3 channel indoor/outdoor Oregon Scientific thermometers for over 10 years and they all still work fine. I put one in my RV freezer where it went down to -7 and have one mounted outside where it gets to 120+ s. They have alarms, but only wake-up alarms. It takes me a while to realize the beep is coming from one of them when one accidentally gets turned on.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #10

I have an alarm/cell phone hook up that monitors temps and calls me when the temp gets to a programmed level. It runs off 110 and has a battery back up. If this is something you are interested in, let me know and I will post all the details.
J
Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a set from RadioShack, central station and three remotes, NO ALARM. Keep one in the freezer, one in the wet bay and one one outside of coach to get decent outdoor reading. We have had these 8 years and one of the remotes just died and another is on its way out.

I bought this setup in Bemidji MN and got a discount because the shop owner said they were no good. What was the problem? They only read to -20 F useless in Bemidji MN.