Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking for advice on a used MH

I bought an 89 32' Itasca Suncruiser last year as a project since I'm an old retired guy to have something to do, not to mention to get back into the RV "lifestyle." I got all the systems up and running as well as all of the chassis systems (well, except the dash air....). Since then, I've had a couple of heart attacks that have really slowed me down, and now I don't have the strength and/or stamina to finish off the outside. It's in pretty good shape, but needs to be heavily scrubbed, waxed, etc. and the interior, while in pretty good shape, needs some TLC as it's showing it age, but not necessarily in a bad way.

I recently bought a 2000 35' Itasca Suncruiser that was complete and ready to go, so now I have two RVs in my "inventory." The '00 is kept here at the house while the '89 is in a storage facility.

My problem is this: the '89, while looking fairly decent and running well, does tend to look like something out of "Breaking Bad" if you know what I mean, and trying to sell it will only bring about 4-5 grand. Should I not consider trying to sell it and just part it out instead? The generator is good and could directly replace the one in the '00 if needed. There are other items in the '89 that could potentially be used in the '00 as well, not to mention it has a good 454 Chevy motor and a good TH400 trans in it as well. I know that parting it out would be a pain, but I'm just trying to figure out what to do as my driveway gets pretty crowded at times.....

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-22_17-34-01_801.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	70522  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
[QUOTE=kratzkr;2177976]My problem is this: the '89, while looking fairly decent and running well, does tend to look like something out of "Breaking Bad" if you know what I mean, and trying to sell it will only bring about 4-5 grand. Should I not consider trying to sell it and just part it out instead?/QUOTE]

Hi Kyle,

I think it all boils down to what is important to you. You'll likely lose either time or money. I generally buy things high and sell low so I know a bit about this. However; if you enjoyed the time you spent fixing it up - consider that. I've spent more time and money fixing up my rig than I could ever sell her for but that time may have saved my life (kept my brain busy while dealing with life's little twists). So, if she burns to the ground tomorrow, she was a good investment.

The big negatives (to me) about parting it out are the huge amounts of time involved in extracting parts and the fact that I would have a large shell (that nobody wants) to dispose of when all the parts are gone. I see a lot of neighborhoods where this is done (and the remains that are left to rot) - not a pretty sight in my opinion.

I'd post on craigslist, local newspapers, put a for sale sign on it, park it in the local 'for sale' lot, etc... and let someone drive it away.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
JD,

I hear what you're telling me! I know that I'll not recover my money from the unit, nor had I really intended to. Like you, it started out as therapy. I still really like the unit and it is fun to play with, but my "she-who-must-be-obeyed" prefers the '00, so that's the one that we use.....

I've gone the Craigslist route and was amazed at the scammers out there and the bullstuff they throw at you... actually quite comical!

One thing for sure is that it won't become an "abandoned" hulk sitting somewhere.... at least not on my watch. I'd donate it first....

Kyle
Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yeah, no doubt Craigslist can be a challenge. I do not post my phone number (email only) and include a comment in the ad that says "use the text 'not spam' in the your email subject". When I get email that does not include this text, I delete it. Of course, there are always scammers that get thru and you just have to be very discerning about to whom you respond. I probably lose a few sales this way but I'm ok with that.

Probably more to the root of your question, based purely on my gut, I think there is a market for used RV's (less expensive) so I think it is worth trying to sell. I hate putting money into something that I am about to sell cheap but a possible option is to hire one of those mobile wash/wax operations to shine her up (or even one of the 'labor' listings on Craigslist).

Tags
advice