Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Looking for Class A

I've been on the hunt for a RV. It's currently just my wife, myself, and 1 yo son with possibly another kid coming along soon. We have a sprinter van that we love. Great gas mileage when traveling! We go to BC Canada 2-4 times a year and other trips throughout the year to AZ, UT, and throughout Ca. I mountain bike on all of these trips while my wife hikes. I have been eyeballing Class A motorhomes for some time. I have gone to Mike Thompsons a few times to look at all the options. I know I want to stay under 35ft for site access. We want Washer/ dryer since we travel up to 1 month at a time and my mountain bike clothes need to be washed often. I definitely want a residential refrigerator because we go through food like crazy and I'm tired of using ice chests. This has led me to the Thor Palazzo. It has everything we want except bike storage. I have 2-3 bikes with me always each $6-12k and don't want them hanging on a ladder rack, weather and security are a concern. I've thought about removing the couch inside to have a spot for the bikes. I really wish there was a diesel coach with some type of garage or room to put the bikes. I'm not too fond of the ford V10 or the outlaw would probably be perfect. Any suggestions on which coach or what I could do with my bikes. I have searched these forums before posting and the rest of the web and haven't found much for mountain bikers. Thanks!
Pyrofighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Would pulling a small enclosed trailer be an option? Or do you plan on having a TOAD?

Both of my last 2 motorhomes had residential refrigerators. You couldn't pay me to go back to an RV fridge. Having a side radiator is also a plus in my book as it makes it easy to access the engine.

What I can say is once you own a Class A, there's no going back down to any other class of RV. Love my class A!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Several manufacturers make a motorhome with a garage in the back, some fancy, some plan Jane depending on what you want to spend. A floor plan like this would allow for bike storage.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #4

What manufacturers make a Class A with a garage and diesel?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #5

I would prefer not to tow anything but I'm sure at some point I will be brining a toad, probably a Subaru which won't hold bikes inside. The concern is weather damage and security. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofighting View Post
Newmar used to make one with a mid engine ISC but they no longer do. Nothing wrong with the design/execution, guess Spartan didn't sell enough chassis to keep them in production.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the only class A coach with a garage is the Thor Outlaw.
I thik it is a gasser. The max. weight it can carry is around 1000 lbs.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually...the capacity of the Outlaw line's garage (there are 2 models) is 2,500lb
See: www.outlawrv.com
The other Class A Toy Hauler currently made is the Newmar Canyon Star 3921 (garage capacity 1,500lb) and Newmar has a model with a rear "Shed", in the 3922 (perfect for bikes and such).
See: http://www.newmarcorp.com/motor-coac...rplan-options/

For Pyrofighting...

The Outlaw line had a Super C (F550 cab/chassis, 6.7L Diesel) in the 2015-16 model year. Search for Outlaw 35SG. There are several still new on dealer lots right now...beautiful RVs that just didn't sell, because who needs a garage in the rear when there is over 10,000lb towing capacity?

And, I would submit that the new Ford F53 with the 6 speed transmission sounds, from owner reports to be a great improvement and very driver friendly...so a second look at the Outlaw or Newmar Canyon Star Class A Toy Haulers is worth a try. The top of the line 26,000lb chassis moves these RV's quite well - including towing a car. Plus a gas RV is SO easy to use and care for.

And...for the Diesel boosters reading this...a Toy Hauler requires a flat floor in the rear. No room for a Diesel Pushing engine.

Quote:
If you REALLY want Diesel and a Class A with a garage..maybe try the used market for a FRED or the rare mid-engine models. See the options here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #9

That Outlaw looks really nice. That would work great for MTBing. Looking online there doesn't appear to be many so I will keep an eye out. If I can't find one then I feel like I'm back with the Palazzo. Has anyone removed the couch in their RV to provide more room?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #10

Thank you for all the replies so far. Very helpful!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
That Outlaw looks really nice. That would work great for MTBing. Looking online there doesn't appear to be many so I will keep an eye out.
You're in Orange...right?
Mike Thompson RV, Fountain Valley has 5 Outlaw ToyHaulers in stock
New RVs, Motorhomes and Trailers For Sale in Southern California | Mike Thompson's RV Super Stores*

It's already year-end sale time, 'cuz the 2017's are being built right now.

And just FYI, last week an iRV2 member got one from there at 37% off MSRP.
See:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...ml#post3018325

We are not affiliated.
Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-13-2016, 01:04 AM   #12

Find an RV that meets your needs otherwise, and then pick up some hard shell transport cases for the bikes. Granted you'll have to take the wheels off the bikes but you can slide the cases right into the basement.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #13

Looking for Class A

Lol. Thanks! I have been to MT twice and don't recall seeing these. Do you think I would be able to replace the RV fridge with a residential in this coach? I know there will be cost but just wondering if reasonably possible. Thanks!

The ones I see on their website are all gas motorhomes. Was hoping for a diesel. I'll check them out again.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Lol. Thanks! I have been to MT twice and don't recall seeing these. Do you think I would be able to replace the RV fridge with a residential in this coach? I know there will be cost but just wondering if reasonably possible. Thanks!

The ones I see on their website are all gas motorhomes. Was hoping for a diesel. I'll check them out again.
Starting in mid-2015 (and all 2016) Outlaw's have a residential fridge, supported by a 1800W inverter - standard equipment.

All Outlaw's after 2010 have been gas, since Freightliner stopped making the 6.7L Cummins FRED due to low demand. Really wish Ford would put their 6.7L Diesel in the F53 Chassis (like in the their F-Series), but no.

And, back to the OP's other idea...Palazzo is a beautiful entry level DP line with many floorplans. Real airbag suspension and air brakes..lots of Coach for the money. It had a bumpy start in 2013-2014 with a brand-new slide drive that was not up to the task with the Palazzo's GIANT SLIDES, but this situation has reportedly improved. Residential fridge is also standard equipment. And...several Palazzo model's have a lower price point than the Outlaw and Canyon Star Toy Haulers

Yes, folks have pulled the couch for other furniture (desk or storage). The Palazzo has it's own Owner's Forum here on iRV2...lots of activity with lots of owner's. Maybe post over there? See:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
class a