Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2005, 12:57 PM   #1

Hi gang,
I am starting to look for a diesel motor home. I will be buying used, cause the money tree in the backyard died many moons ago...I know this for sure, cause my wife has told me so repeatedly!

Any way, I'm not totally sure what chassis are good ones. I would kind of like to stay with a Cummins engine, but a Cat would be OK. I really don't want to spend over $50k, but I don't want to spend another bag o money on repairs.
I currently have a small 5th (24') and I need a little more room. I would like to stay under 35' in length. My wife would really like a slide out, but I'm afraid I'll never find one that will meet our budget.

The reason I want a diesel is I already have a Dodge/cummins, and I am going to swap a VW diesel engine in my Samurai. I fully realize, that I could get a gas rig that would be able to pull the sammy, and satisfy my wife's needs...but once ya get diesel in your blood, it's hard to go back.

What brands should I look for, and which ones have good track records?

TIA

D

2002 Monaco Knight 32PBD.
dsnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2005, 12:57 PM   #2

Hi gang,
I am starting to look for a diesel motor home. I will be buying used, cause the money tree in the backyard died many moons ago...I know this for sure, cause my wife has told me so repeatedly!

Any way, I'm not totally sure what chassis are good ones. I would kind of like to stay with a Cummins engine, but a Cat would be OK. I really don't want to spend over $50k, but I don't want to spend another bag o money on repairs.
I currently have a small 5th (24') and I need a little more room. I would like to stay under 35' in length. My wife would really like a slide out, but I'm afraid I'll never find one that will meet our budget.

The reason I want a diesel is I already have a Dodge/cummins, and I am going to swap a VW diesel engine in my Samurai. I fully realize, that I could get a gas rig that would be able to pull the sammy, and satisfy my wife's needs...but once ya get diesel in your blood, it's hard to go back.

What brands should I look for, and which ones have good track records?

TIA

D

Old 01-25-2005, 02:48 PM   #3

We have a Newmar and it is the only DP we have owned. We are very pleased with it. With a cap of $50K I would guess you would be looking in the pre 98's to find a Newmar at that price. Newmar started wiuth slides in the early 90's.

Get the engine serial and call tha manufacture and find out what you can. Same with the VIN.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:00 PM   #4

dsnook,
We too are looking used in the 40k- price range. I am keeping up with ebay pricing for a used rv and looking at the high end rvs, beaver, safari, etc. A thread on escapees and my thoughts are that this price rv new would have a better chance of being "kept up".
Again, just my thoughts. Seeing is believing when the time comes.

Richard

Class of 2005
Richard n Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You should be able to find non-slide diesels in your price range and some nice high end brand names too. Prices on non-slide units have plummeted and even Bluebird Wanderlodges can be found at very low prices. If you are a fairly handly guy, you can give one of these older rigs the TLC it needs and have plenty of fun in a high class rig. Yeah, there will be repairs, but they are spread out over time.

The early 90's Beavers were outstanding rigs, but by the mid-90's they had declined somewhat in quality. Safari's too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:27 AM   #6

Hey dsnook,have you tried searching the
www.rvtrader.com
good luck.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #7

Although this coach is not in the price range you mentioned. The article will give you some idea of the fun you can have with a used diesel, non slide (never missed it) . Two years since I wrote the article and still having a great time in a great coach:

vogue V Year: 96 Length: 40
Engine Type: cat 3176 H/P: 380 Fuel Mileage: 7
Tow Vehicle: wrangler GVW: 34,000 Satellite Dish: Dish
Rating: 1 to 5. Five being best!: 5
Review Title:Moving back in years and forward in happiness.
Review:

This is a review for the Vogue V , a high line diesel, bus style,body that was near the end of the Vogue line. The plant near Pryor, Okla. is now closed.

I traded a 98 Endeavor H.Rambler for the 96 Vogue. I paid more for the Vogue 9 years used than I did for the Endeavor new in 98 but you cannot compare apples and grapes. The original cost of the Vogue V was 350-400k in 96. I would compare it to the Foretravel or the Bluebird but with a Prevost look. I have posted a photo with www.irv2.com in the rv photo section - its a little hard to find but search under "features" then "rv photos "using username wave or keyword Vogue.

I traded the slide out Endeavor for a non slide because I wanted to experience a high quality motorcoach . The day I drove the Vogue home was very windy and a perfect test. The low center of gravity and the 59% wheelbase to overall length made for a very stable ride in the wind - it was almost a non factor. Getting rid of the slide did two things. One was a more solid side wall and two was the fact that this motorcoach is very quiet - no flexing around the slideout. I feel it is a very safe and stable road machine.

The interior is top quality with leather,Corian, and Italian tile and theater grade carpet in the usual places. The celing is layered with a mirror finish making the interior space seem much larger. All closets are cedar lined and all drawers are lined adding to the quiet ride that I have described. The bath is oversized with a large shower and a great curved glass door. The toilet is oval and similar to what you would see in a fine home.

The bedroom has a queen sized bed that is very comfortable - I don't have to start a search for a different mattress. You can start the generator from the bed and there is an intercom from the front entry door to the bath room area - another good security factor. The celing fan surrounded by decor lights is a nice touch above the bed. In fact, decor lights are under most counters, around the celing and on the floor. You can turn on any combo as night lights or use them all for decor.

The electronics is 96 era but marine grade, in fact I notice that the water heater and the electronics are the same brand as seen on yachts. The water heater is heated by engine heat as you drive so you always have hot water, very hot, as you drive and for several hours after you stop without any other energy source. It is electric with shore power and 20 gal. not the usual 6 to 10 gal. The Webasto (aqua hot) heating for the coach is diesel fired ,quiet and even heating - a true year around camper if you wish. The satellite dish is self seeking Motosat. and I just upgraded it to work with the Dish Network. The usual two tv's and a very good sound system by 96 standards. Auto leveling is a great item. Just pull into the campground hit one button and it is level without the four legs that appeared on my previous coach. It is very stable on six tires - I am not sure why but very little movement. When you dump the air bags the coach sets about 6 inches from the ground which is a geat look but I find that the sewer line is sometimes uphill from the coach but you can raise it back up as needed.

My favorite view is the exterior. This has the look of the Prevost which it was styled after. It has that classic look that makes me feel that I could upgrade this coach and make it my last one. The storage doors are all bus style opening out and straight up - no chance to bump your head. Split joey beds are a good idea - you can pull each half out separate rather than one long bed. Storage is hugh but keep in mind that this coach weighs nearly 32,000 lbs. without gear and people due to quality interior - good stuff weighs more. So you have to limit your use of storage and not fill all available spots. This is true of Bluebirds that generally weigh within 2 to 3,000 lbs of gross veh. weight empty. The later Vogue V's had a tag axle for this reason. The full body paint was standard in 96 and this one is about 5 different shades of blue and grey - a great classic look with no "flames" fits me just fine.

This is a fine coach both in the rv park and on the road. My wife thought she might miss the slide but she is so happy with the interior and ammenities that she will never look back. I am impressed with the chassis and the road stability. The RV Consumers group gives this unit 4 stars and I am giving it a 5 here . There are some negatives - the four cylinder Izsu diesel generator is noisy but I can improve that issue with the help of a great rv repair shop.

As I have said elsewhere, forget the slides and extended warranties - get high quality and get USED.

wave

photo at: http://irv2.com/photopost/showphoto....cat=all&page=1
Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #8

well, I think we found her. I found an 02 Monaco Knight 32 PBD with 14k on it. It is in great shape, with a few added options. I drove it and found it to be fairly peppy, and it handles good...even my wife was more comfortable with the ride, over the 36' winnie we drove last week.
I offered them 5% over wholesale, and we finally agreed on 6% over. The hard part is done...we are awaiting financing and delivery.

D

Old 02-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!

The Knight ought to be a real nice rig. We wish you many happy miles.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a