Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Your goals do not sound like a major remodel.
I think it's possible to get by with less. I want to understand the costs and potential issues.

Quote:
Some rigs already have Resi Refer, Convection/Microwave, dishwasher, and electric cook top. Some folks have already made those modifications.

Limit your rig purchase to those that do or can accommodate.

Some rigs already can accommodate a stacked washer dryer.

Buy one that can.
We're looking at ones with this in mind.

Quote:
The bathroom being made larger may be a bigger challenge as ours is built over the rear axle and that may cause some flexibility limitations.
It might have been better if I started this thread just asking about this one issue. Cramped baths are the most common issue. Most seem like they can be fixed by getting rid of a 2nd sink and moving stuff around. I'm still not sure on the issues though. Most we have seen are center baths and I assume they are located above the black/grey tanks.

Quote:
The total space in a motorhome is full of compromises. So something made bigger will mean some other space has to be reduced.
Agreed, unless you jut make it feel bigger :-). Or removed issues like banging you head every time you wash your face in the sink.

Quote:
The real answer to your question lies in what rig you will be buying. Once you have a platform, the answers can be more specific.
I started this thread to aid in searching. Hoping that understanding more potential issues with remodeling will help us find better candidates.

Quote:
Just like house decor trends, what is "in" today will be "out" in a few years.
Ha - you mean we'll go back to lighter 30-35 foot coaches :-).
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Look at the floor plans here on unit 1 4 and 8 in the list. One is over $200000 and two are below with rear bath. I don't know how you would get more room in a bath area. And you can drive them away no hassle other than purchase.

Diesel Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

LEN
Old 09-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #17

We're trying to keep at 40 feet.

Here's an example of one from that site.

We would want to remove the wall/door for the bath. Turn the toilet 90 degrees. Remove the sink by the toilet and replace with washer dryer (assuming it would fit). Install Euro dinette. Replace J Lounge with sleeper sofa. Redo the kitchen to put the sink to the rear, and add a pull out counter where the sink is. Add a dishwasher. Res reefer. Change carpet for wood or vinyl floors.

Remove propane stove for cook top. Swap in RR refridge. Probably an inverter and battery upgrade.

Since this coach does not already have hydronic heating (as far as I can tell) it would probably not be one that we would consider, but these are some of the typical changes that we see when looking at 40' units built in 2000-2007
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The hardest part of a remodel is getting the old out and the new it of the stuff won't fit thru the door. Many a residential fridge retro fit have involved removing the windshield to the old out and the new in.

The next problem is developing a weight budget. Granit counter tops look great but weight a ton.

Third problem, when comparing a home to a coach, is sizing. Some off the shelf items such as kitchen cabinets or living room furniture might not fit the area available. As such you loose the economy of scale associated with mass production and the lower pricing. It the wall to ceiling transition isn't a 90 degree angle it will complicate the project concerning cabinets.

Moving or removing an interior wall isn't difficult since it will not be a load bearing structure. The problem comes in when adding or moving a wall and finding the interior structural supports to tie the new wall into.

I almost wonder if gutting a coach to the point of removing the interior walls and ceiling might be your best starting point. You'll gain access to the studs for mounting points, electrical wiring and plumbing, HVAC ducting and such. Another advantage to taking a coach down that far is being able to easily repair any sidewall delamination.

I would consider doing a few factory tours to get an idea of the hidden construction features of a coach and such to get some idea of the scope and potential level of effort that might be involved. Even with the passing years the basic construction techniques probably haven't changed dramatically. Did a Tiffin tour a few years back and we were stepping over and around the workers building class A's.

Good luck.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #19
Community Moderator

the layout is a typical country coach design since 2005. doing what you wanted is a challenge but definitely doable if you have a deep pocket and time. the reason i said doable is that "terry" in fl has rebuilt an entirely burned down coach into a new unit, in about 3 years, including new interior, new roof, front panel and chassis (a newer gas engine, tranny and the entire harness). he traded his junk pickup with a salvage yard so he virtually got it free, then built it from ground up. now he is travelling with his wife in it. (he had a long thread on class a forum started 3 years ago).

please keep us updated when you are doing it .
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We shopped prices for doing a small upgrade. I wanted to add Travler Satellite, replace the rear tv with LED and a HDMI feed and replace the bedroom valance with cabinet matching cherry. We received a $7500 bid.

I put in the Travler and built the valance my self out of alder. We decided we didn't watch the tv in back enough to change it. Cabinetry is all custom. I think a regular rug guy could do rug. Same with tile. Slide areas are very challenging. Your going to do this because you like it, not to save money.

I think you are on the right track, it will far moe expensive than you think because access is funky everywhere.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #21

Yes anything can be done but the bean counter needs to count them...

Make a simple spreadsheet to determine everything including your part.

Do not know you or your skill set but know mine and available tools...

So as an example.

You first need to draw a rough sketch of your finished product so you have a general idea of where everything goes.

Next do extensive homework to determine which models have the bones suitable as yiu need a good chassis running gear and box.

Of the desired starting unit look for a floor plan close to what your dream unit is.

This will place infrastructure close to where you need it saving that work.

On remodel side...

Consider fit finish and materials as each one has a price.

Walnut more than pine and perfectly square well made cabinets more than generics.

we have the ability to make any cabinet from any material so we would budget for materials only and labor is free.

If you can not build any part of the remodel you need to contract it out.

Cabinets are critical to how mode.

Look inside an early 90 ' s fleetwood then maybe a country coach and huge difference.

Seek out a custom cabinet shop who has done rv and ask for photos.

Go to rv shows to review what is being used in production units then plan from there.

Yes it is all easily done...but focus on the bones first as it could be a huge fail if the wrong unit is selected first!

Tags
remodel