Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Looking for info on used RVs

Being newly retired we are looking at used motorhomes. The Alfa See Ya units have really caught our eye but I've learned they went out of business like other manufacturers during the Great Recession. I will appreciate any info out there about parts replacement etc. Is there any thing to beware of? Any info is good.

Oigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2002 Alfa: Should we buy?????

ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the RVs us the same appliances and basic components. Where you will run into problems is specific parts such as front and rear cap, baggage doors and possibly some chassis parts if they did not use a standard chassis and built their own.

We have now owned 4 orphan RVs and no real issues except for some of the vintage units running gear due to age and we simply replaced it with newer.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Originally Posted by Oigman
Being newly retired we are looking at used motorhomes. The Alfa See Ya units have really caught our eye but I've learned they went out of business like other manufacturers during the Great Recession. I will appreciate any info out there about parts replacement etc. Is there any thing to beware of? Any info is good.

I was in your shoes in January when I bought a 2004 Fleetwood Revolution. We love it.

We did look at the Alpha See Ya and liked it. Again we didn't know much about them at the time but after some research found three things that kept us away from Tim:

1- They went out of business.
2- They had a known paint problem that resulted in major problems on the outside of the units. The paint essentially chipped off. I saw one unit that looked like it had been hit by hundreds of pellets chipping the paint. When in reality the painted bubbled and chipped off.
3- We were also advised from friends with more experience than us to steer clear of them.

What I have learned since owning a coach now since January is being able to call the manufacturer directly has been invaluable.

The Alfa See Ya's were nice looking but we chose to look at another unit.

My two cents.
Hootie-Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
After nearly a year of looking and research we bought our unit April 1 2011. We were advised by several different sources to stay clear of the Alpha See Ya. We did preview a few and found too many things wrong to even consider one. My advice is to take your time. Do the research on built in quality and customer satisfaction. Our unit is an orphan but we love it. The condition is/was as close to perfect as you will get on a 2005 coach. We purchased from the original owner, coach was kept under cover, and all the service records were there. For our piece of mind we had an inspection done by an independent RV center. The seller was willing to do the minor repairs needed, install new batteries and new tires (time was the issues not road wear) with just 12,000 miles. Point is there are sellers out there with great units that want and need to sell. It just takes time to find them.
Loving My RV
2005 Dolphin 6355 LX W24
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club

I agree with the comment above. We bought an 05 Safari Gazelle. They were owned by Monaco at the time and gone now. Bought from the original owner, had 17K miles, real good price. Very happy. I suggest that you find an independent RV service center and talk to the service manager. I have asked many questions since buying ours and really appreciate his knowledge and advice. I asked his opinion about a different make of coach that I really like the look of and thought had a very good reputation and was told that they had been bought by a different company and he would stay away from the newer models. Things seem to change alot in this industry. JMHO
chuck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Jim, Welcome to the forum and ditto on the above. Before you buy, make sure you try everything and that they work. Check the age of tires and use it as bargaining power. Should be replaced when they are around 6 years old. Good luck...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Country Coach Owners Club
Parts replacement is usually not a big problem on a motor home.

Fiberglass can be repaired but an end cap would be hard to replace without the mold.

Good Manufacturer manuals on electric and plumbing systems should be acquired with a used rig to assist in future repairs or modifications. Some printed circuit boards are not replaceable but would have to be repaired.

The Alfa rigs delivered high interior ceilings, big storage compartments with some storage container systems for a very reasonable price.

My opinion is that they were light in the quality of construction department when compared with other DP's.

There are many Alfa's on the road serving their owners well. So it may be a rig that will suit your needs, once you have your needs/wants defined.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Personally I like really the floorplan on many of Alfa's I've seen and for the right price, I would certainly consider getting one but as many of the others mentioned, Alfa does not have a good reputation and I've seen many, many people recommend to stay away from them. That said, Fleetwood doesn't have the best reputation but I'm happy with ours and would certainly consider another Fleetwood while Tiffin does have a good reputation and I've read a lot of complaints about them as well.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
We looked at the Alfa's a number of years back. We were at a RV show and they were being shown by the Afla Owners Club. We asked about the basement AC unit since we live in Florida. A couple of the owners told us that the AC would not keep up with the heat in Florida, especially on 30 Amps. They told us we would probably want to put in a roof AC to make sure the MH stayed cool. Decided against the Alfa, and went with a Beaver. Not sorry. The heat in Texas might be too much for the basement AC.
Jim and Shirley McGehee
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna
2013 Honda Fit Toad, 2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim lots of good advice above and welcome to the form, I cant give you lots of advice on the Alfa, but really look into the basement air, when i heard about ,it sounded great, and could be, but check it out as it hasnt had good reviews and is no longer offered, the other Jim, jollyjim, said it may not work in Texas, but when I approached a gentelman in Tennessee, last year, he admited it had a hard time keeping up during the day,
Good luck in your search, and you get what you pay for
Mike & Becky
2005 Gulfstream Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
I looked at them up to the Gold. Looked nice but upon closer inspection they fell short of what I wanted. Take a drawer out and look at the cabinet framework. Also didn't like the small storage bay doors, they limited what could go in them.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Master of Disaster

We also loved the floorplan on the Alfa. But the skin delamination issue did cause me some concern (although we were looking at a 2002 with no signs of issues, but my bigger concern was that the basement air blows "up" from the floor (unlike Winnebagos, that vent the a/c up the roof and then let it blow down through vents). Given that we are often in very hot environments with little or no shade, that made me nervous.

In the end we found another orphan coach that had virtually all the feature we liked in the Alfa (lots of windows, light interior, roomy) that had more conventional cooling (which means that I can always bump up the overhead a/c to 16.5kBTU units later if needed).

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
the most important thing is the Dealer. Be very hard nosed with the dealer. The salesman will be very charming and kind, but remember HE ONLY CARES ABOUT THE SALE NOT YOU! Secondly make sure if you find anything wrong, it is fixed before you plop down your money, no promises of 'Oh we will take care of everything'. Check over everything in the motorhome, things like the bathroom floor for rot from a leak. the roof , does it leak, if it is a rubber roof has it been coated lately? The drive train, was the maintenance done? This is a house that has to go down the road at 60 MPH, so check tires, axles, everything you can think of. where do you intend to take this thing. If you want to drive in the Rockies, for instance, you want a powerful motor with a lot of torque, and a vehicle that is 34 feet or less, because of switchbacks. Class A or Class C? Class C's can be easily towed and repaired by any good garage. Class A's require special truck facilities. The list goes on and on. Take your time, do not rush think about it , and then think about it again. Good luck.
Bob C.

bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote