Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
Looking for Information on 90's Newmar and Holiday Rambler

We are looking to purchase a used Class A from the early to mid nineties. Having had 3 Rvs in the past and having roof problems and delamination problems I wanted to avoid laminated walls in particular. The Holiday Rambler appears to be the only one with a sidewall that is not laminated that is in the price range we have been looking in(8k-17k).
I do like the Newmar coaches of that era for their slideouts and quality. I believe Newmar does glue the sidewall to the aluminum frame but it is not laminated in a 5to8 layer wall. I may be wrong about that and would welcome information from owners who have had Newmar coaches and experienced problems with water intrusion and sidewall problems or had great reliability.. I was also hoping to get info on the Holiday Rambler about the years built with riveted aluminum sides and the type of roof material on coaches. I understand we are looking at lower priced units and do not expect perfection. I have no problem with spending time and money repairing items that need to be repaired or replaced. I am really trying to avoid delamination to the best of my ability because of the enormous cost of repairing it properly. Thank you in advance for any help.
Steve Pazdera

Shfftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had two DSDP's (2000 and 2002), no problems with the body itself other than the industry wide bad fiberglass in the '02. Would (and should) have bought another new DSDP or used Essex or London Aire. Found a nice London Aire but it sold too soon to get the DW interested.
I would buy another Newmar if the need ever arose to replace the Magna but at our age it probably won't.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

Be sure to check out our Newmar and Monaco Owner Forums.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:55 AM   #4

I have a 96 Newmar Mountain Aire, I've had only one problem with the body, clear coat on generator door that developed bubbles. Other than that, the only thing I've had problems with was due to it being a Ford chassis, bad fuel pump.

Need I say I Love my Mountain Aire?
1996 Newmar Mountain Aire. 3760 CA
2006 to 2015 Boxer named Cash (aka Cassius Clay)
2016 - Boxer named Chevy
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Regarding Holiday Rambler, the 'alumaframe' construction style was introduced in '61. When HR was sold to Harley Davidson in '86, HR was operated as it had been and kept using it's traditional build technologies until it was sold again to Monaco in '96. Under Monaco, Holiday Rambler simply became a brand name.

Any HR built from 1961-1995 ought to have the classic aluminum construction. The roof is aluminum (with a center strip over a middle seam), as are the sides and bottom; the front and rear caps are fiberglass. I have a '94 HR Imperial I just bought in that same price range, and so far I love it.

Funny enough about Newmar, a couple of years before the Harley sale, the President of HR at the time left that company to buy a majority of Newmar; his family still owns Newmar today.
kurt-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Thank you for the information Kurt, I like the Imperial of those years.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1995 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE

DW found a new to us 95 HR Endeavor LE, 36' with a tag axle. We got it in April 2015 and have been all over Missouri and made one trip to Cincinnati with it. We pull a Saturn Vue with it and did have to put tires & brakes on it. Just normal maintenance other than that.

It rides very well, and very quietly. We're very happy with it and look forward to several more year of fun with it. When we finally retire I'm planning on a DP of some kind.
Marc and Ronette
1995 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE 36', 2008 Saturn Vue toad with AutoStop

mappleg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
I haven't seen anything so often I'd call it alarming in the way of delams, but there are some early to mid 90's HR's with some pretty serious corrosion issues on the sidewalls.

That said, I had a 93 that was fine, and our 97 has fiberglass sidewalls built exactly as the earlier alum. walls were built (complete with the typical waves).

Watch the ceilings. The foam in the headliner material is old enough now, where it's starting to decompose/crumble, allowing the vinyl that's fastened to it to sag. Not a huge deal like delam, but still a pain in the butt to repair.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:33 AM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32CG that has a metal roof with a center seam and riveted aluminum side walls. No leaks.
Brad Felmey
1998 Newmar Dutch Star M-3883 DP (Freightliner)
Soon to be full-time (est. late 2016)
Brad Felmey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #10
Thanks Brad, I like the Holiday Rambler construction. I like the Newmar for the slide outs and the fact they are constructed well but I think the Aluminum roof and riveted sides seem to have less problems.

holiday rambler, newmar