Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

Looking for MH

Hey guys,
New here and looking for advise. I'm looking for our 1st motorhome and wondering how much I should offer on used ones. I've been looking mainly on craigslist so I've been dealing with owners more than dealers. We're looking at 90's gas models because we want to pay cash. I don't wanna low-ball so does anyone have a good guide to go by? Nada seems to be alot lower than what people are asking. Also, which is better, owners or dealers?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
People can ask anything they want. NADA is only a guide anyway. Go look at some sites like PPL and see what they have sold and the price. eBay motors is another one to look a the completed sales.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. I imagine that people asking inflated prices are either sadly out of touch with the actual value or under water with their existing loan and trying to recoup. Use the NADA value as a starting point, and do lots of internet sleuthing to find similar rigs to compare prices. Good luck and have fun!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

Also, I live in DFW metroplex pretty close to camping world in ft worth. Does anyone know if their 45 point inspection is reliable for engines and such? I want to use a place that will look over everything before I buy something, are they worth the $230?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Oh my gosh -- be very careful on Craigslist! Especially if this is your first motorhome purchase! We have had rvs for years, last 4 being class As. Husband is very mechanically savvy. Two years ago we bought a well-maintained LOOKING 1991 Class A. We have spent as much on it as we paid for it. It is for sale now, as we moved to a diesel, so someone will be getting a 'like new' 1991 Pace Arrow, as we have fixed everything on it. Please consider a reputable dealer.

JoAnn
Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #6

Yeah, I could never by something like this on eBay. Just looking for guides. Sooo, how bout that pace arrow?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funfor4 View Post
Yeah, I could never by something like this on eBay. Just looking for guides. Sooo, how bout that pace arrow?
Who? Me?

JoAnn
Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #8

Commercial Member

Funfor4,

Have you checked out the classifieds on this website? Scroll all the way up to the top of this page - just below the header, right under the picnic table near the middle of the picture.
SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #9

Yeah, JoAnn
Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMDALUS
Funfor4,

Have you checked out the classifieds on this website? Scroll all the way up to the top of this page - just below the header, right under the picnic table near the middle of the picture.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Sent private message
Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #12

The problem with NADA prices is they are developed by actual sales figures. So the older the vehicle where people are paying cash the numbers can be skewed because private sellers trying to help out with taxes.
Its not legal, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen, and so a guy sells his RV for 12k but puts 5k on the title so the new buyer saves a bit in taxes. Problem is that loweres the NADA value to 5k when it actually sold for more than that. Plus RV's can vary so much in later models. One well taken care of can sell for 18K then one of the same year and accessories might have water damage broke appliances and bald tires and sell for 4K thats a huge gap. So the NADA is an avg of all sales.

RV's like boats and anyother toy, are worth whatever people are willing to pay. The NADA is a suggested retail price and isnt a direct indicator of what you will find. As with so many things you get what you pay for. So something maybe a bit more than the NADA $ but in really good shape will probably make you happier than a bargain priced RV that is under the NADA $.. Just make sure you check it out.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to rv.org. Pay what they are asking, it will be the best money you'll spend on your RV. Once you've read EVERYTHING go to oodle.com. Plug in what you're looking for and they search all over the web and find it, except for craig' s list, then click on the email up dates and they will send you updates everyday. Good Luck. By the way I do not get anything out of this. I knew nothing when I started the process an had only a vague idea of what i wanted. I think you will find this is a great help.
By the way if it sounds too good to be true 99.9999% of the time it is. Either it's a scam where the seller can't tell you a specific location where you can go look at the RV and wants you to mail the payment into some "secure" account. Or there's something seriously wrong with it. Be careful and plan on doing some time and money to go look at what you're going to buy.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #14

Thanks, all good info so far.