Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-03-2015, 05:19 AM   #15
I give up. The first e-mail will work if you follow the oops! message. I have to find out what's going on with my postings. Sorry.

2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Txice View Post
Mr. D please share your knowledge re: RR4R chassis. We are planning on making an 300 mile round trip to look and drive the Ambassador. Your "understatement" gives me pause. Please elaborate. Mike

Mr. D hasn't answered so I'll give it a go.

Here is a long thread on the Roadmaster forum:

South Carolina newbie checking in...

Long story short. Monaco/Roadmaster built a 4 airbag chassis (RR4R) carried slightly different designations early on. They started building the rear suspension in house in '02. The trailing arms were under designed and started failing at a high rate. Depending of the suddenness of the failure, the rear axle was essentially free floating & the driver could lose control not to mention the damage to the coach.

Over time an up graded set of trailing arms were introduced but they may not have solved the problem. Several years ago, Source Engineering manufactured a set of trailing arms with plenty of strength and the problem now has a solution. I believe the Source trailing arm kit installed is about $3500. They also sell a ride enhancement kit which improves the harsh ride of the 4 bag chassis.

Here is a link to Source:

If you search "Trailing Arms" in the Roadmaster forum you will get lots of reading material.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Think the key to finding a good used coach is patients and then some more patients. Have a good buddy that probably looked at 20 rigs all over the US before he pulled the trigger. He set a budget of $25K that he wanted to pay. He ended up with a Monaco Caymen, forget the exact year but think it was 2005. He paid $20K for it and it had 14K miles on it. He found it in Florida, flew out to see it, just like others he had looked at, bought it and drove it back to Texas.

The coach was really nice, only gripe I had was the hideous interior colors (blue couch with white flowers, brass/gold trim fixtures & shower enclosure, ugly carpet) but that was the style in that time period.

He has since taken that rig all over to Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, etc. and had zero problems. But like I said previously, he had to look at a lot of junk to find the perfect rig. Good Luck!
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #18
To the OP. We had a 39' 99 Bounder (39Z) diesel that had a great floor plan and we had a good four years in it. It did not have the push button 6 speed Allison transmission, but had a four speed Allison with a manual shift lever on the left drive console. It has the 5.9 ISB 275 hp Cummings engine that delivered adequate power and 10+ mpg. One draw back was that it did not have a pass through basement. Also, because all the wiring and frame were exposed to the road salt we have in WI, there was a potential for problems, which we did not have. It was our first DP and we really enjoyed it.

2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote