Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #29

I about always stop at mini marts, Just survey as you drive thru and look for exit. I may block 2 islands for a few minutes, but I am buying more gas than 3 cars, and they have never had a problem with it. And I always apologize for taking the extra space.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Just out of curiosity, is anyone concerned that Flying J is not listed as a Top Tier Gas Retailer?
Probably because they are owned by Pilot.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #31

In some states, Arizona is one the fuel at the truck islands is more money than at the RV or car islands because of the road tax that RV don't have to pay😎
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just drove I81 this week. Exit 323 and 85 in VA have good fuel stop options. 323 has RV specific islands with water, air, and a dump station.
LincolnLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
Flyin J or Pilot. Have always used the pumps the trucks use. Never had even a funny look. Have had some good conversations with truck drivers. Start by saying "how are you doing"!

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
But the OP is driving a gasser. I seldom, if ever, see gas pumps in the truck area.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:42 PM   #34

Great advice! We also check with GasBuddy for the best diesel prices and then go to FindMyStreet.com for a great view of the station.
We also use this program to plan for Church stops, overnight parking locations, etc., since we are driving a 45" Prevost Mirage XL.
We just returned from an 8,300 mi X-Country trek and the combo made for a tension free trip and substantial fuel savings. We have an economical Detroit Series 60 470hp eng with a 209 gal tank, and @ a solid 8mpg we can afford to pass through many states before arriving at the fuel stop offering the best prices along our route.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking for RV friendly gas stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
i never use any commercial fuel stations like flying j or loves, just normal everyday stations, especially walmart's murphy stations. I have a 50' train of motorcoach, bike rack, and toad and rarely have a problem... but, I do scout out my stop well before by using google overhead map view, and gas buddy App to find the best prices along the way.

My rig is 65' long towing a Chevy Avalanche behind a 40' DP. I don't scout out or plan ahead, just pull into a regular station (not a truck stop) like I did 2 days ago. Turned out the diesel was on another pump, so I did a 180 degree turn and pulled up to it, no problem.

55 degree wheel cut and towing 4 down so the toad's steering also turns, I find it to be remarkably maneuverable for the size.

Cheers!
Old 09-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #36

Forest River Owners Club
I hardly ever use service stations.... Truck stops (Pilot, Love's, Flying J ) and I use the truck lanes ... Faster pumps, long handled tools to clean windshield...
Old 09-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I hardly ever use service stations.... Truck stops (Pilot, Love's, Flying J ) and I use the truck lanes ... Faster pumps, long handled tools to clean windshield...
Great advice for a gas motorhome.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #38

What is the gas mileage you average in your coach. I to have the 2012 Thor Challenger 37FD. Have a great day
Old 10-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #39

Correct. Flying J stations are not consistent. The very newest ones have gas, diesel, propane, water and dump right at the island and I suspect these were built just before the Pilot takeover. Most at least have the propane tank at the RV island. However, when we had our previous Safari Trek with a propane generator, we sometimes had to enter the propane area backwards from the traffic flow since the propane fill was on the passenger side and the attendant wouldn't run the hose from the tank location on the driver side . I finally gave up on this scenario and started buying propane at U-Haul locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNuts View Post
Flying Js are our favorite but not all of them have RV lanes. We ran across a few in the northeast this summer that didn't. To make sure that a Flying J has dedicated RV lanes, check the Flying J website.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
This is exactly why I don't tow with a gasser. It would be my nightmare too.
Say What ? We have towed with our Challenger over 4 years and 45,000 miles and never had an issue with getting gas. Planning ahead and choosing the roomiest facility is key. As someone mentioned, the biggest issue at Flying J's and other truck stops with RV lanes is if there isn't room to make the "swing" after gassing up because some dreeb parked a large vehicle in front of the store.

Bronk
Old 10-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
Say What ? We have towed with our Challenger over 4 years and 45,000 miles and never had an issue with getting gas. Planning ahead and choosing the roomiest facility is key. As someone mentioned, the biggest issue at Flying J's and other truck stops with RV lanes is if there isn't room to make the "swing" after gassing up because some dreeb parked a large vehicle in front of the store.

Bronk
And so what do you do in that instance? Wait? Unhook and back up?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
And so what do you do in that instance? Wait? Unhook and back up?
It's one of the reason I avoid the RV lanes. For gasoline, often, the auto pumps are more accessible.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas