Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

Looking for RV friendly gas stations

I will be traveling from Pennsylvania to South Carolina. I will be driving a 37' rig and towing a Honda CR-V. Does anyone have some notes on the best places on Interstate 81 and interstate 95 to get gas? My biggest fear is getting stuck in some no exit gas station. Thanks

2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

I made a similar trip this past spring. First stop from New England was Pilot in Carlisle. PA. After that I looked on Google maps for locations that would come along at about 1/3 tank remaining. Google allowed a good overhead view and then if you touch the road in front of the fuel stop of interest you can get a street view. I would try to find two so I always had a plan B. I also downloaded the Pilot and Loves apps for my phone.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

I use www.findfuelstops.com
This is a Truck Stop locator ( Diesel pumps ), but has a Satellite view function that also shows gas pump islands. You can check out entry and exits, figure out your routes off and onto hwy. I think you will find the Gas Islands at Pilot / Flying J, and Loves have adequate room depending on other vehicles parked there. Worst case scenario - unhook the toad and have someone back you out.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
I use www.findfuelstops.com
This is a Truck Stop locator ( Diesel pumps ), but has a Satellite view function that also shows gas pump islands. You can check out entry and exits, figure out your routes off and onto hwy. I think you will find the Gas Islands at Pilot / Flying J, and Loves have adequate room depending on other vehicles parked there. Worst case scenario - unhook the toad and have someone back you out.
++1
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always try to use Flying Js. Haven't found any that didn't have spacious RV lanes. Pilot is a crap shoot - occasionally have RV lanes. The other major truck stops (TransAmerica, Loves, etc) seem to usually have enough room.

If you use Good Sams - Flying J always gives me a 3 cents per gallon discount.

Learned something with the FindFuelStops.com. Thanks.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

This is exactly why I don't tow with a gasser. It would be my nightmare too.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ed-

Here's advice garnered from our 8000-mile trip last Winter:

1) We nearly wore out our "Next Exit" book. It takes a while to understand the codes. (for instance, stuff printed in red is supposed to be RV-friendly). It also lists restaurants, shopping, interstate rest stops, etc. Indispensable!

2) Flying J/Pilot/Love's/TA cater to trucks and RVs. Only ran into one that was hard to get into and out of. Look for the "dedicated" RV gas pumps. They usually have adequate entrance and exit clearances. If you accidentally enter in the truck (diesel-only) areas, smile stupidly and weave a graceful exit. Feels like a butterfly among the eagles.

3) "Normal" gas stations can have enough room for you and your toad. Keep going down the road until you see one that you know won't have you boxed in (for example, look to see if you can exit behind the convenience store). You'd do the same at the Cracker Barrel.

4) It's easier to make a left-hand turn into a gas station and a right-hand turn out of one.

5) Don't let your toad block other people entering, exiting or pumping.

6) Make sure your toad clears the pump island.

7) Know how far you can go on a tank of gas, and bounce that off the "Next Exit" book to see which exits are best options for you (e.g., Flying J in 100 miles, have 140 miles of gas, I'm OK).

8) Don't be distracted and sail by your chosen exit. Makes for some tense driving if the tank is low. Don't ask me how I know.

9) Don't forget vertical clearance. It's not without reason the "dedicated" RV pumps usually don't sit under a canopy.

10) Get fast at unhooking and moving your toad, so you can maneuver the motorhome. Obviously a last-ditch tactic. Oh, and when you put the toad back on the hitch, run through the entire written checklist, even if you're in a hurry.

11) Get the fear of backing over your toad so ingrained in your mind that you never, ever entertain the idea of dropping the coach into reverse without confirming it's back there (or not). When you realize a gas station is too tight for you, you get flustered and forget that important detail.

Hey, my two cent's worth for eleven pieces of advice. Pretty cheap!

All the best on your trip!

Mark
Old 09-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #8

" My biggest fear is getting stuck in some no exit gas station. "

No need to pull into any mini-mart gas stations sized for autos. Your trip is on major interstate highways where there are fullsize truck stops at least every 100 miles.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

My preferred gas stations are the ones with good prices for gas. I start with

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

I tend to plan ahead. I may fill up when I have half a tank so I can drive through areas with high gas prices. Before I choose a gas station I look at it with the satellite view and street view on google maps. It's usually pretty easy to tell if the station is motor home accessible.

I don't get too worried about .10 a gallon difference in price, but I don't mind taking a little more time to plan if I can save .50 or .60 a gallon when I fill up the beast.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #10

RVPARKY app
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
I've made the trip from Martinsburg, WV to Charleston, SC several time, over the last two years. I've found that I-81 to I-66 to US 17 to I-95 was the best way to go. I was towing a fifth wheel, for quite a few of those trips and would not want to tow into North Carolina on I-77. Not to mention, that the traffic on I-81 is nothing short of ridiculous!

I always fueled up first at the Flying J, just across the VA/WV line. They have pumps specifically for RVs and offers both gas and diesel at those pumps.

Once you get to I-95, there's another Flying J at exit 104. It also has RV pumps.

Next fuel up was always at I-95 exit 4 in VA. There's a Pilot at that exit. Fuel prices in NC are always crazy-high, so I never fuel up in NC.

Next fuel up was in Dillon, SC. I-95 exit 193. There's a Sunoco station, just east of the interstate, that has good access and fuel prices.

I don't know where in SC you are going, but there is another Flying J at I-95 exit 77.

Hope this helps...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #12

Flyin J or Pilot. Have always used the pumps the trucks use. Never had even a funny look. Have had some good conversations with truck drivers. Start by saying "how are you doing"!

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
Old 09-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
My preferred gas stations are the ones with good prices for gas. I start with

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

I tend to plan ahead. I may fill up when I have half a tank so I can drive through areas with high gas prices. Before I choose a gas station I look at it with the satellite view and street view on google maps. It's usually pretty easy to tell if the station is motor home accessible.

I don't get too worried about .10 a gallon difference in price, but I don't mind taking a little more time to plan if I can save .50 or .60 a gallon when I fill up the beast.
Yep, that's the way we do it. I do try for the lowest reasonable price. With the big Bus and the long trips we run, a 0.10 a gal difference means $100 savings over a 6000 mi trip. We do that twice a year. With a bit of careful planning, saving 0.10 a gal is easily done, even in remote areas. When it costs you $600 to fill the tank, any savings is worth a couple of minutes effort with Gas Buddy and Google Earth.
Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:45 AM   #14

How can you identify where the RV lanes ate located at Flying J’s. I have gone there and have only used the car lanes. Thanks

2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas