Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone for input on Ford 460 engine. I have now also found a couple of diesel pushers I'm looking at so, gas vs. diesel???? I'm getting from other posts that I need to pay particular attention to maintenance and floor plan either way. I am unsure of what situation I will be in. I think I will be driving to a location and staying a couple of weeks and then moving to another. I don't know if I would be crazy as a new coach driver to get a 40'. I am going to live in it so.... any advice?

rescueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
No problems driving a 40. If you are going to full time a 40 makes good sense.

Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
40 foot is fine....

We went with a 1998 Newmar Mountain Aire on Spartan with 8.3 325hp and around 70k mileage

We love it and plenty of power and we tow 20' trailer loaded up and we only part time in it but well built rig

Maintenance shedule is so important for prior owner...we found ours from original owner with well documented maintenance and recall history done.

Price is another big one of course, good time to bargain on any coach right now. They were asking 50k for ours and out the door for less than 30k was the final.....there are some bargains out there
1998 Newmar Mountain Aire 40'
8.3 Mechanical Cummins
USMC0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi koresample,
Welcome to iRV2. For coaches of this age, proper and timely maintenance is the second most important item. The first item is floor plan. Consider:
1. floor plan
2. will the coach carry you and all your stuff (NCC rating)
3. will the coach tow the vehicle/trailer you have (GCWR, hitch rating)

From a Newmar point of view, one can not beat the construction and permanence of a Newmar.
Be careful of NCC figures too, our DSDP had an advertised NCC of over 5,000#'s, at delivery the actual CCC was 663#'s and ALL of that was on the rear axle, the front was overloaded if I filled the fuel tank and propane tank. That was with nothing of ours aboard nor even us.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #19
If the Dutch Star you're looking at is on a Spartan chassis, then before you take possession of it be sure to have the ball joints and boots checked out. Spartan had a problem with them and it's not a cheap fix. I had to have mine replaced on my 2000 DSDP.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I will also recommend you see what condition the ball joint rubber seals look like on the 12000 pound independent front suspension models. With 35000 miles mine were totally rotten and 2700 dollars to have replaced.(spartan Chassis).
Eldon, Carol, and Bella(Lhasa-Poo)
Eldiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #21
koresample - keep looking. Fleetwood and Newmar really upgraded their coaches after 2000. See if you can get something from the 2000-2004 time frame. The Dutch Stars in particular we much improved once you get newer than 2002.

If you are going to go with coaches from the late 1990's take a look at the American Coach line. That is the upline from Fleetwood. They made some beautiful coaches in the 1998-2001 time period. Country Coach also made some very nice motor homes in the late 1990's.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Mike, Thanks for the response. FYI I have heard from more than one RV repair shop and some online buddies, to stay far away from Gulf Steams. Me, I don't know but I'm taking it as good info. Rescueangel
rescueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
Well we came across a a 1999 Mountain Aire DP 4080 with only 83,000 KM's and ended up getting it. It is in fantastic condition and loaded with close to every option. The service records are all there and other than some light wear which you would expect for the age it looks great. We ended up paying $48k for it which seemed to be a pretty good deal considering the NADA values I was able to find. Once we take possession I will post pics in the Newmar forum! Thanks for everyone's feedback!

koresample is offline   Reply With Quote