Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Member
 
koresample's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 95
Looking for some feedback on models we are looking at!

Hi there, my wife and i have owned several travel and tent trailers as well as cruiser style boats and are now looking to go for a class a motor home. I have done a ton of reading on here to educate us on the different makes and pros and cons and have narrowed our search down to units that are 34-40' in either gas or diesel. We won't be able to do a lot of touring for quite a few more years and plan to use it for 5-10 trips per year for the time being with the maximum distances being around 1000 miles round trip and many of them only being a couple hundred.

We are looking at the following;
2002 gulf stream sun voyager, 3 slide work horse/Allison $26,995 and 95000 km's
1998 Newmar dutch Star 3883 76k miles (8.3 l cummins) $39,995
1999 Newmar Mountain Aire Dp4080 325 cat-45k miles and $55k
1999 Fleetwood Discovery 34q 5.9 cummins 140k KM's and $39,000

All are pretty loaded but vary on the options. The Gulf Stream is being sold privately, the others are all through dealers. It is appealing due to the price. I believe the other 3 diesel pushers are all better quality for driving and power (with the Mountain Aire being at the top) but we would like to hear some opinions. We have bought in and then gone up in the past which never works out financially, but based on what we are planning to do, what are some of the realistic things we need to consider?

Thanks in advance for any advice/input and thoughts

Mike
__________________

__________________
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,452
Depends on YOUR budget and what you want. We'd go with the Newmar but that's just us after owning two Dutch Stars. We bought the 2002 with the full intention of going full time when we retired. Right now my wife's health went bad and we have a 13 yr old grandson to finish raising.
So, we may be looking at moving to a larger Newmar in the future but ours is in such good condition we don't really need to. NO it's not for sale!
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 454
After a lot of looking we decided on a 2002 Newmar 3852 Dutchstar w a 330 cat. It seemed that the newmar's interior quality seemed to hold up better than other brands in a 10 year old coach. There are many nice ten year old coaches out there and look to see maintenance records the coach has for PO. There are nice gas rigs out there too. I wish I would have joined site before I bought bc I prob would have gone to a tag. This site is a weath of information. Welcome!
__________________
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
GaryKD's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 12,321
Hi koresample,
Welcome to iRV2. For coaches of this age, proper and timely maintenance is the second most important item. The first item is floor plan. Consider:
1. floor plan
2. will the coach carry you and all your stuff (NCC rating)
3. will the coach tow the vehicle/trailer you have (GCWR, hitch rating)

From a Newmar point of view, one can not beat the construction and permanence of a Newmar.
__________________
Gary
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 789
The mechanical C8.3 engine in the Dutch Star is an excellent engine. No electronics and plenty of torque.

It likely is riding on a Spartan Chassis with a side radiator.

Mileage is about right for the engine to be broken in by now.

These factors would be weighted heavily for me if I was on the hunt.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Cummins C8.3 325 HP engine
Allison 3060 Six Speed transmission
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
__________________
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Member
 
koresample's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 95
Thanks for the feedback.Does anyone have any input on the gas Sun Voyager?
__________________
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
LDP243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 109
out of these choices I would go with one of the Nemar coaches, We had a list almost exactly like your's . a Monaco, 2 Newmar's and a Beaver, We went with the Beaver based on the condition and quality being very similar and both the Newmar coaches had 7k to 50k more miles . our 2 finalist were the Dutch Star and the Beaver Patriot same year model the D.S . WITH 7K more miles 3ft. shorter and 5k more moneys
__________________
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD
Hi koresample,
Welcome to iRV2. For coaches of this age, proper and timely maintenance is the second most important item. The first item is floor plan. Consider:
1. floor plan
2. will the coach carry you and all your stuff (NCC rating)
3. will the coach tow the vehicle/trailer you have (GCWR, hitch rating)

From a Newmar point of view, one can not beat the construction and permanence of a Newmar.
X2

With coaches in this age range, prior maintenance is the most important factor.

I agree the Newmars are the pick from a quality standpoint.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by koresample View Post
Hi there, my wife and i have owned several travel and tent trailers as well as cruiser style boats and are now looking to go for a class a motor home. I have done a ton of reading on here to educate us on the different makes and pros and cons and have narrowed our search down to units that are 34-40' in either gas or diesel. We won't be able to do a lot of touring for quite a few more years and plan to use it for 5-10 trips per year for the time being with the maximum distances being around 1000 miles round trip and many of them only being a couple hundred.

We are looking at the following;
2002 gulf stream sun voyager, 3 slide work horse/Allison $26,995 and 95000 km's
1998 Newmar dutch Star 3883 76k miles (8.3 l cummins) $39,995
1999 Newmar Mountain Aire Dp4080 325 cat-45k miles and $55k
1999 Fleetwood Discovery 34q 5.9 cummins 140k KM's and $39,000

All are pretty loaded but vary on the options. The Gulf Stream is being sold privately, the others are all through dealers. It is appealing due to the price. I believe the other 3 diesel pushers are all better quality for driving and power (with the Mountain Aire being at the top) but we would like to hear some opinions. We have bought in and then gone up in the past which never works out financially, but based on what we are planning to do, what are some of the realistic things we need to consider?

Thanks in advance for any advice/input and thoughts

Mike
Mike,
Here is some info from RV Consumer Group on the Gulfstream. I have also attached a link to their website that you might find helpful. I purchased their database when I was shopping for our MH and it was VERY helpful in making our selection.
RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gulfstream.pdf (54.8 KB, 65 views)
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Member
 
koresample's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 95
Thanks very much Dennis!
__________________
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by koresample View Post
Thanks very much Dennis!
My pleasure, when I went looking, I had no idea what to look for and for $150 it helped me eliminate a lot of junk. Kept me from wasting my time on rigs that were not worth looking at.
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Member
 
koresample's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 95
So were dealing on a 98 Dutch Star 3865 with 83,000 KM's on the CAT Freightliner XC chassis (through a local dealer)! Asking price was $39k...we made an offer subject to test drive and review of the inspection reports. i'll report back on what we ended up with and if successful, the complete makeover/reno we plan on doing to it!
__________________
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Wolfpack Fan's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by koresample View Post
Thanks for the feedback.Does anyone have any input on the gas Sun Voyager?
Several years ago when we were considering getting our first motorhome I asked one of my customers whether there were any particular brands I should steer clear of. The customer was the owner of a fairly high volume RV repair facility in our home city of Reno. I'll never forget him telling me to steer clear of Gulf Stream because he had seen so many of them in his shop. There's probably a lot of folks that have Gulf Streams that are very happy with them and they've been good coaches for them. One persons opinion.
__________________
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Dan DeBruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 268
I looked at a lot of motor homes in our searches. Decided the diesel was a requirement for us due to a desire to have less limitations in towing and comfort in driving. The previous motor home was a 1998 38' DSDP but with the cummins engine on a spartan chassis. As you can see from my signature, we now have a 4009 DSDP. In all my discussions with folks have not found a motor home manufacturer that had less problems with construction quality issues. There will always be issues and if there is poor maintenance, does not matter the manufacturer. Wish you well with your search and enjoy whichever rig you decide upon. The process is part of the journey, enjoy it.
__________________

__________________
Dan and Kathryn DeBruin plus dogs
2005 Newmar Dutchstar 4009
Victor NY
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.