Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looking for Suggestions - Class A diesel

Hello,

Im new to this forum (today) and joined because Im in the market for a new (used) coach. Im semi-convinced that I need something like the cummins 360hp/800 or better and thus looking at 34' coaches - the smallest Ive found with this power.

Ill only be towing a F150 that will probably top out at 5,000lbs, but I like making the big grades at freeway speeds (except maybe on 70 through Colorado) . Ill probably be driving about 20k/yr so I want to get it right the first time. So before I go any further, am I on the right track or will a 300hp 6.7 cummmins do this for me?

As Ive shopped and researched Ive also started discovering more obscure brands such as Foretravel (400hp 34') that were custom built with bigger power plants, and Id love to hear about more less-known brands that people have had good results with. 34' is going to be about my max - I want to be able to get into small parks/sites.

Im good enough with a wrench, do all my own maintenance, and most repairs, and plan to continue. Haven't even driven a Class A yet but have 40 years in fire engines and ladder trucks so Im not too concerned. But I do want something with good road manners.

I currently have a 31' class C that was supposed to be "temporary" for one trip in March of 2017, but I started fixing it up and like it and have put a little over 30,000 miles on it. But its a Ford 6.8 and its relatively ugly, aging, and I want something nice. Budget is under $150k though.

So, suggestions? Im enjoying researching, but getting blury-eyed looking at the on-line trader sites, and would like some real-world information from people with experience.

Thankyou for your consideration
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

I am in the same boat as you and will be watching this thread for responses.

I started out looking for a Super C, drove two different brands and found the handling to be amazing. Very much like the Dynamax DX3, but it is nearly as long as my existing Fleetwood diesel pusher. The lack of being able to see out of the front windows when camped has more or less put a damper on that style, but it depends on what I find in a 33 to 34 foot Class A diesel pusher.

I am planning a flight from Oregon to Indiana to visit the factories of Nexus, Newmar, and Thor. They seem to be affordable quality coaches from my research so far.

One of the real big issues for me is most of the rear radiator rear deasel pushers vacuum the winter sand off the roads and clog between the intercooler and the radiator. A quandary for me, as I really detest cleaning that space out by crawling under the master bed and on top of the engine to spray water for cleaning the cooling radiator, and I am not getting any younger!
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #3

You might check out a few of these, all side radiators. I like to open up the back and see the motor not the radiator.
https://www.maplegroverv.com/sales/p...alpine-36fdts/
2005 Alpine Coach incl. 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Tow Vehicle - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
and all Country Coaches have side radiators. Terry has a few shorter coaches, all in great shape and road ready.
https://www.kenaicoach.com//DealerFi....asp?showall=Y

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
For the last 25 years (more or less) All Foretravel's are side radiator.
Foretravel Motorcoach - Available Coaches
ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory
These dealers specialize in Country Coaches

Both of these dealers are Located in Junction City, OR
Inventory | Premier RV
https://www.kenaicoach.com//DealerFi....asp?showall=Y
Here is a 33'
https://www.kenaicoach.com//DealerFi...?ListingID=215
A 32'
https://www.kenaicoach.com//DealerFi...?ListingID=198
Another 32'
https://www.kenaicoach.com//DealerFi...?ListingID=201

AND......they have several more 32 footers
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Hello,
but I like making the big grades at freeway speeds (except maybe on 70 through Colorado) .

Thankyou for your consideration

1. I doubt you will be pulling many grades over 3% at freeway speeds (assuming you define this as 60 to 75mph) with most motorhomes.
2. Even if you could pull grades at freeway speeds, it is unsafe once you top the crest. If you top the crest of a, say, 6% grade at 60 mph you could shortly be in a world of hurt. Remember, event though you have a supplemental braking system on your toad, you have 5,000 lbs pushing your 25 - 35,000 lb MH down the grade. The 'rule of thumb' is to begin the descent at no greater speed than you pulled the grade. And this does not mean 'freeway speed."
Sorry to sound preachy, but I don't want an inexperienced Class A operator to get into trouble.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Foretravel and WRV (Alpine) both made quality coaches. Alpine is available in 34’ and 36’, actual lengths are 35’ & 37’ respectively. They also made 38’ & 40’ coaches. The 400hp ISL was standard starting in 2004. GVWR is 33K, curb weight for the shorter coaches is around 26-28K depending on options. Plenty of CCC and a 10K tow rating. I’d suspect the F150 is well over 5K so be sure you look at coaches with a suitable tow rating. The 34’ is available with 2 slides on the driver side and a front door entry. The 36’ is available with 2 slides and a mid-door entry option or 3 slides and a front door entry. The ISL also has a 2 stage Jake brake.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #7

Welcome!

Shorter DP's are rare & they seem to sell quick as there is a high demand. Even more rare will be finding the 36' Foretravel. But they are out there and EXTREMILY fine coach's. But don't not look at Monaco, Newmar, Tiffin, etc. as there are other nice coach's also. Anything with a ISC/ISL will be adequately powered. Everyone's different but climbing a grade at highway speeds makes no sense to me. Any motorhome will climb any grade in the slow lane with all the other trucks, busses, other RV's, etc.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Hello,

Im new to this forum (today) and joined because I'm in the market for a new (used) coach. Im semi-convinced that I need something like the cummins 360hp/800 or better and thus looking at 34' coaches - the smallest I've found with this power.

Ill only be towing a F150 that will probably top out at 5,000 lbs, but I like making the big grades at freeway speeds (except maybe on 70 through Colorado) . Ill probably be driving about 20k/yr so I want to get it right the first time. So before I go any further, am I on the right track or will a 300hp 6.7 cummmins do this for me?

As I've shopped and researched I've also started discovering more obscure brands such as Foretravel (400hp 34') that were custom built with bigger power plants, and Id love to hear about more less-known brands that people have had good results with. 34' is going to be about my max - I want to be able to get into small parks/sites.

Im good enough with a wrench, do all my own maintenance, and most repairs, and plan to continue. Haven't even driven a Class A yet but have 40 years in fire engines and ladder trucks so I'm not too concerned. But I do want something with good road manners.

I currently have a 31' class C that was supposed to be "temporary" for one trip in March of 2017, but I started fixing it up and like it and have put a little over 30,000 miles on it. But its a Ford 6.8 and its relatively ugly, aging, and I want something nice. Budget is under $150k though.

So, suggestions? Im enjoying researching, but getting blurry-eyed looking at the online trader sites, and would like some real-world information from people with experience.

Thank you for your consideration

Here is a good post on the subject - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-...-a-407961.html

Another good Post - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/13792144.cfm

With your budget you should do well - BUT - IMHO you need to figure out your Mission - What - How - When and Where will you use the Coach?

Without knowing these basic issues you could end up with a Coach that does not fit in the Box you want, at least not in the near future. Summer - Winter - all ....insulation - Heat - A/C - capacities - you might find that many of the smaller Coches have a 5,000 lb limit, which might not work in the long run.

I advise most people to work up the list of - Needs - Wants and Might Likes this list can be short or Long - when we ordered our last coach we had a 4 page list of Special changes we wanted - got all but a couple.

So IMHO you need to more sharply define the Target then search to make sure you get what You are Aiming For.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #9

I'll second some of the posters here...

>I'd shoot for an ISL or CAT C9 as the minimum engine size. The ISC if a fine engine, but it does not have a Jake Compression 2 Stage brake assist, that I'm aware of. Where as many ISL's, do have this.

>I'd personally shoot for a 34-36' coach, as I think you will find they will ride a bit nicer, still fit just about anywhere, and that extra few feet will make a difference in livability on those multiple rained in days!

>I also agree with the Alpine, Country Coach, Foretravel as three well though of and good running coaches. The Alpine has the Peak Chassis, which is one of the better handling chassis of that era. They also had all axle positions hydraulic disc brakes (ABS, but many coaches of that era have ABS too.). Alpine made a good coach. I believe the fit and finish and attention to detail of the Country Coach and Foretravel will be above that of the Alpine. They have good/strong chassis also. But I believe most will be drum brakes, though I admit I'm not as up on the Foretravel's as I am the Country Coaches.

As mentioned, the shorter coaches of the higher quality brands, move fast and cary a premium price. I've never bought a coach from Kenai, which has been linked to here in this thread. But they have a good reputation for going thru their coaches and fixing anything that needs attention. You may pay a bit more for one of their units, but, it should be in good shape and ready to go. And their reputation is such that they should work with you if anything pop's up.

Premier RV has many coaches in stock, and Damon Rapozo who's is affiliated with Premier - is a great asset to work with in looking for a coach. He's a walking encyclopedia on Country Coaches, and others too.

Going down some in the pecking order, Winnie has 34-36' coaches. I believe most with the smaller ~7 liter size CAT's, but hey may have some ISC's too. These will have exhaust brakes, vs Jake Compression.

Lots of opinions, and lots of choices to make. The recommendation for coming up with a List of Must Have's and Nice to Have's - is a good one.. Then you can take that list to compare different brands and models to see what floats your boat!

And this gang has lots of opinions, and like to help other's spend their money. So don't be shy. Research specific brands, in the Owner's Forum.

Welcome to IRV2. Have fun, and best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Just to Clarify ... ALL Foretravel Coaches have air ride and leveling, also ALL Foretravel Coaches have Disc Brakes on all wheel positions.. You pay more...You Get more...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It will take a MINIMUM of a 400 ISL to pull a Ford F-150 up a 5% grade at 55mph. Depending on the coach size/weight, the 400 may still not be enough.

I owned a 2005 Monaco Diplomat with a 400 ISL, custom engine fan and computer chipped, that could pull any grade out west at 55+ mph while towing a 4 door Silverado. BUT.....the coach was a 36' and only weighed in at 36K.

An ISC will not do what you want to do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you intend to tow a pickup in the western US in the summer heat, avoid the small Cummins ISB and Cat C7 engines. Many ISB powered coaches have a small Allison 2500 trans that severely limits towing. The ISB is a great Dodge pickup engine, but a 30,000# coach towing a truck is asking too much. The price may be attractive but it will haunt you later.

I also agree that Foretravel, Alpine, and Country Coach are excellent choices. There are others out there as well.

I question your requirement for a short 34' diesel pusher. I've owned a 34' diesel coach and will never do that again. Physics are against you as you have a very heavy cast iron engine and transmission hanging behind the rear axle of this short chassis. It becomes the tail wagging the dog. I recommend you test drive a 34' coach and then a 40' coach in a cross wind with semi trucks passing you (and with your wife present). Just a short trip will cure you. Then drive a high end used coach with a tag axle and you will never go back.

Best of luck with your search!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #13

Before you believe anyone about towing a truck through the mountains at freeway speeds or even 55, best to read this:https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine...erformance.pdf
Old 01-16-2019, 08:49 PM   #14

Had a Foretravel 34 footer with the ISC 350 engine, did not handle crosswinds and trucks passing like a 40 footer or a 40 or 45 footer with tag, but still in most circumstances, tracked straight and true.
Some coaches are just designed better than others. Sure was easy to maneuver and park though. Overall weight with toad was about 29600 lbs, and normally ran 35 to 45 up a long 6% grade in 3rd or 4th gear at 85% throttle. Not much different than my present coach with 500 hp. Hp/lb ratio is the real big determining factor.

Tags
class a, diesel