Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Between the two Winnebago.

Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Between the two Winnebago.
I agree
In my research Thor simply had way too many quality control issues. Too bad, as I really liked the Tuscany floor plan.

OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 AM   #17
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

If you look through the Owner Forums, you will also see MANY complaints about Winnebago and Thor. It's up to you, but I would not say no to a Tiffin just yet.

All manufacturers are going through the same quality problems with new coaches. Last year there was one Tour owner who had his Tour replaced (after many problems and trips to the manufacturer) as a lemon with a new coach. I have also seen many Thor complaints. They all have the problem of trying to push new units out the door while sacrificing quality. They figure there will be more time to fix problems as they occur under warranty, and making delivery dates is more important than quality.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:26 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choice.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #19
I am sure you can get the tuscany for 50k to 70 k less than the tour- (i am talking brand new) tuscany has freightliner custom chassis- cummins 450- really open feeling floor plan- 45 foot -bath in a half-(a lot of coach) not the highest quality used in the tuscany- but neither does the tour-as i also looked at both of these very hard. they all have issues the first year- enterga - newmar- included- just read there blogs- bottom line is what you pay and what you expect-- as i think they all have there pluses and minuses-
but 70 grand is a good chunk of money- I believe the tucscany is great for the money you pay as it has all the right most important parts of a pusher. chassis- motor- floorpan - thor is really good to take care of any problems or warranty issues also-
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I found your post interesting. I have visited the Tiffin Plant and watched them build coaches. What would you say that newmar does differently that makes you think they were more of a hand built coach.

To the OP for what it is worth I have looked at the Winnebago Tours a few times. The only thing I thought was weird about them was with the slides in some the door going to the bathroom will not open all the way. Other than that they were really nice looking coaches. For what it is worth I was at a Winnebago Tour dealership one time and they had new models in and they had last years models that were new but just had not sold yet. The last years models had pretty much the exact same equipment as the new model. Same engine same paint job etc. The last years model was 100,000.00 cheaper. You might want to keep that in mind when looking

I think all brands have quality control issues personally.
My point was "close to hand built". If you order a coach from Newmar they are very receptive to changes to the rig where most others are not. Also they don't build as many rigs so that makes their QC a little better. Don't get me wrong I love the Tiffin product line and would have purchased one instead of the KStar if I had found as good a deal. I loved both of my Winnebago rigs because they were pretty much trouble free and maintaining them was easy since I do most of my own work. I'm finding the same is true with the KStar.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #21
I don't know if "hand built "is the way to key off the differences between Newmar and Tiffin. I think there are many differences, but what one buyer might find meaningful, another might not, or would prefer differently. I know some of the differences that mean something to me, but I would be happy in either coach, yet I have my first and second preferences and that's that.

Some opinions or advice is better left to ones own point of view and doing ones own research.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
?..after reading that some coaches have slides that don't allow for free refrigerator and bathroom door movement (or furniture that needs docking)...look elsewhere. BOGUS is the word that comes to mind if you can't walk down the aisle with the slides in.

If you can't use the MH in freezing or stormy weather (slides tucked) then the MH is a dumb design. Plan ahead.

WELL SAID! And I agree completely. The floor plan in our Mandalay allows us to use it exactly the same whether the slides are in or out. Keeping those slides in on a cold one-nighter can be very helpful.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #23
Thor Owners Club
We are on our 5th Motorhome - all bought new. Our last two have been Thor products... a Palazzo, and now a Tuscany XTE 40GQ. Both were bought because we loved their floor plan. We belatedly heard of problems with the slides on the Palazzo, but in 11 months never had a problem. In terms of price, the sales price of the Tuscany XTE vs. competitors is substantial, we we were willing to deal with minor issues due to the savings. So far, we'e had no real issues other than screen door latch broken on the Tuscany. Everything else has worked flawlessly, and prep by our dealer (local CW) was thorough. Maybe because we are local, but we also bought the Palazzo there, and it was same story. We've been impressed with factory support from Thor... at their national rally, they had their entire tech support team at the campground, fixing problems on new and old coaches free of charge, and they did it right!

So, I would agree with previous posts. Select the floor plan you want, determine if it's available from various manufacturers, then decide how much money you're willing to spend. As have others, I've heard of horrendous problems with some of the higher end coaches, so there's no guarantee. I think the increase in RV sales has pushed companies to expand production and quality may have been lagging, but we have been very fortunate thus far!
Ed [N4RWU] Taylor (Becky), Mistie (4 legger)
2014 Thor Tuscany XTE 40GQ
Former Thor Palazzo 33.2
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #24
We did it, we pulled the trigger on a 2016 Ellipse it should be here in 4 weeks
Openroad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update, enjoy it when you get it.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #26
Thor Owners Club
Welcome to irv2!!

We also are looking, reading, studying the line up out there. Talking with owners. We owned a new Thor product for 7 years. I would not dog them on their product. If I had to grade ours I would give them a B-. The marked down area I would say is in the area of Customer Service and Quality. Although ours was in Excellent condition at the end of our 7 year ownership, I would say it was still not the quality build of higher end units.

With that said, Thor has been known as such a huge manufacturer building so many units that in that process, customer service and quality become sacrificed in order to meet such high demand. Just my opinion but I think that years of that perception has caused the "Tuscany" brand to take note and up the anty on it's product line to compete with other quality built units.

I do not take any thing at all away from Tiffin, Entregra, Newmar. All excellent products!! I do think some need to embrace newer technology and step out of the box though.

I was told by a Tour owner, he said to look at the 2014 or newer. Some of the plant changes made to correct problems. But we really liked their Tour they had parked next to us for several days!!

I will put a link here to a you tube video on Tuscany. A little long but it goes into changes in the 2015 model that I believe makes this coach tough to say no to. I see the 2016's have some additional improvements.

Just my opinion but appears to me at least the Tuscany label is attempting to change the image many have about quality and service.

06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote