Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Looking for your opinion

My wife and I currently own a Tiffin 35 QBA and are getting ready to make the leap to a diesel pusher. I have pretty well narrowed it down to two different makes. The Winnebago Tour GD or the Thor Tuscany AT. There are definitely pluses and minuses for each unit.
Let me know your thoughts.
I know your wondering why not stay with a Tiffin? I love several things about Tiffin(especially Mr. Tiffin), but looking over the new ones and seeing the features. I feel Tiffins quality control is making way for production and they seem to be lagging in technology.
Openroad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Winnebago Tour for sure. Can't beat the quality in comparison; regardless of cost.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:13 AM   #3

I would pick the Winnebago also, although I would also look at Newmar.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
An American Coach Revolution is in that MSRP range also.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #5

I would go with the Winny Tour. Are you buying new? Just asking........because there are a lot of nice 1 owner/garaged/professionally maintained out there. You could save a bundle.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang here!

Hope you find the right rig for your needs! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As a prior Winnebago owner X2, there is nothing wrong with the Tour. My biggest complaint with Winnebago Industries is their paint jobs are not long lasting. Part of the problem is their clear coat is thin and more than likely a water base urethane that doesn't hold up for the long haul. Other than that, awesome product. I love the Tiffin line and when I purchased my Kountry Star I was looking at Phaetons and Allegro Bus'. IMHO they are both equal. I would also look at the Newmar Dutchstar. I love the company, the people and the product (love my Spartan Chassis). I bought used and they treat me as if I purchased new. I still feel Newmar builds the closest thing to a hand built coach but on a production line and they manage to keep it simple.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy what you like. It is the FLOOR PLAN that should be the deciding factor. Make is a secondary choice.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
As a prior Winnebago owner X2, there is nothing wrong with the Tour. My biggest complaint with Winnebago Industries is their paint jobs are not long lasting. Part of the problem is their clear coat is thin and more than likely a water base urethane that doesn't hold up for the long haul. Other than that, awesome product. I love the Tiffin line and when I purchased my Kountry Star I was looking at Phaetons and Allegro Bus'. IMHO they are both equal. I would also look at the Newmar Dutchstar. I love the company, the people and the product (love my Spartan Chassis). I bought used and they treat me as if I purchased new. I still feel Newmar builds the closest thing to a hand built coach but on a production line and they manage to keep it simple.
I found your post interesting. I have visited the Tiffin Plant and watched them build coaches. What would you say that newmar does differently that makes you think they were more of a hand built coach.

To the OP for what it is worth I have looked at the Winnebago Tours a few times. The only thing I thought was weird about them was with the slides in some the door going to the bathroom will not open all the way. Other than that they were really nice looking coaches. For what it is worth I was at a Winnebago Tour dealership one time and they had new models in and they had last years models that were new but just had not sold yet. The last years models had pretty much the exact same equipment as the new model. Same engine same paint job etc. The last years model was 100,000.00 cheaper. You might want to keep that in mind when looking

I think all brands have quality control issues personally.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I found your post interesting. I have visited the Tiffin Plant and watched them build coaches. What would you say that newmar does differently that makes you think they were more of a hand built coach.

To the OP for what it is worth I have looked at the Winnebago Tours a few times. The only thing I thought was weird about them was with the slides in some the door going to the bathroom will not open all the way. Other than that they were really nice looking coaches. For what it is worth I was at a Winnebago Tour dealership one time and they had new models in and they had last years models that were new but just had not sold yet. The last years models had pretty much the exact same equipment as the new model. Same engine same paint job etc. The last years model was 100,000.00 cheaper. You might want to keep that in mind when looking

I think all brands have quality control issues personally.
Correct on the door not opening all of the way. It will open to 90 degrees so getting in and out of the washroom is not an issue.

Agree that all manufacturers will have issues. In spite of computer controlled manufacturing for walls and floors, there are still the parts where the finishing is done by workers.

IMO the only way you will get a perfect coach is to build it yourself. At least you will know where the warts are and likely how to fix them.

We have had warranty work done on our coach. Major issue with the jacks. They had to be replaced. Parts at Winnebago did not have them so they took them out of production. We were on the road the next day.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #11

With not having owned a Thor or a Winnebago, IMHO there is no comparison between the two companies. Almost across their entire product line and name plates Thor has major issues with quality of construction. Sure Winnie has some issues, but every RV manufacturer has them. OP, Good Luck with your decision and enjoy when you get the one right for you.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #12

Pay no attention to my comments, but after reading that some coaches have slides that don't allow for free refrigerator and bathroom door movement (or furniture that needs docking)...look elsewhere. BOGUS is the word that comes to mind if you can't walk down the aisle with the slides in.

If you can't use the MH in freezing or stormy weather (slides tucked) then the MH is a dumb design. Plan ahead.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think Tiffin, Newmar, American, Entegra and Winnebago would all be fine coaches especially if you intend to buy off a lot vs ordering a coach. If you are ordering the coach, Newmar is light years ahead of allowing you to custom order EXACTLY what you want.

I have to agree with gemini5362 regarding Winnebago's paint. About a year after the Tour was first out, I saw one with the front cap peeling. I couldn't believe they still hadn't resolved their paint issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #14

Notice no one endorsed Thor? For good reason, they look pretty but that's where it ends. My friend just bought a new 2014 Tiffin Phaeton list 302k for 200k with a 5yr warranty. Left overs are a good deal now. When they own it for 1 yr they have to pay off their loan on it. End of yr would be good but always at least the end of a month.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote