Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looking to buy

My wife and I are considering full time rving. Started looked at Class A DPs. Looking new or one 2 years old. I like Tiffin and Newmar but think they may be out of our price range. Looked at a Berkshire 39RB and Fleetwood Discovery 40E both of which are new. Looking for comments and suggestions. We like the rear bath and the 1/2 bath as well.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. I'm sure you'll get some opinions on those two choices of yours. Good luck and let us know you decision and of course post pics when you can.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

If you do not have to have new, think about buying a high end coach 2-3 years old. Best bang for the buck.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2005 Pace Arrow 37A , and we love it !
waltnlora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

I wouldn't be reluctant to look at coach's older than 2yrs. You can really get a lot of bang for the buck with one that's even 5 to 10 yrs. old. In our case in the later part of 2009 we bought a 2000 Newmar diesel and went fulltime. Since then we've been from Maine to Florida...Maryland to Colorado, up to Idaho, over to Wash., down to San Diego, then to Alaska last summer, and now we're in Fl. for this winter. Wouldn't change a thing. My suggestion to you would be not to be in a big hurry and look at many coach's. Keeping in mind that floor plans are very important, I mean you'll be in it 24/7. By looking at a little older coach you can really move up to a quality unit...that is if it's been well taken care of. Be sure and find a reputable RV Tech to check it out for you. In our case we were in Md. and the coach was in Tenn. I did a google seach and found an RV guy who checked out our coach and gave it a thumbs up. So they can be found by looking at many web sites that are available to you. I almost pulled the trigger a couple times on other Rv's but I just kept looking til I found our current home. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
The bath and 1/2 make the coach. Especially for FT. DW and I spend six or seven months in our coach. Our last coach was a 2003 Fleetwood 39P. Great coach! However the technical features offered on new or late model coaches certainly improve living as well as handling ease. You will be living almost 24/7, so the roomier the floor plan the more comfort. We have had new coach issues but DW and I have nothing but praise for the quality of Customer Service provided by Fleetwood MH's. IMO the dealer is an extremely important asset. Get testimonials from past customers, wish we had!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens2012 View Post
My wife and I are considering full time rving. Started looked at Class A DPs. Looking new or one 2 years old. I like Tiffin and Newmar but think they may be out of our price range. Looked at a Berkshire 39RB and Fleetwood Discovery 40E both of which are new. Looking for comments and suggestions. We like the rear bath and the 1/2 bath as well.
Congrats I can't wait to get to that Point.

I am new to RVing part time and the 37 ft Floor Plans are Nice for 2 and will accommodate up to 6.

Just My Opinion which is worth the paper it is printed on Zero.

I have been studying floor plans and to me a 1/2 bath is a waste of valuable space, and just more crap to carry around and clean LOL

I think you can use that space more efficiently like a laundry room.

Seems like when you jump form a 35-37 ft to 40-45 ft the only thing you gain is another bathroom

Just an Idea I would like to share.

Ted.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

In Sept 2010 I purchased a 1998 Holiday Rambler Endevor from the original ower wit 65,000 miles on it. The original owner kept impeckable maint. records documenting all service performed, who performed it, he kept the receipts. When I bought the MH I put the maint history / receipts into plastic sleeves in a three ring binder in date order, oldest to newest. I continue using the log sheet and have referred to it when having service performed. Don't be afraid to buy 1998 or newer. Just ensure your buying from someone who can prove with documents all the maint that has been performed.
gbaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

We have had a Motorhome since 1983, in 2007 we were facing the same situation. We looked for a late model diesel but were unable to find anything we wanted. We ended up bying a new Sportscoach Crosscountry. The coach is well built and we have had few problems. I don't regret bying new but I would have purchase used.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just my $.02 but I would look at older well cared for coaches. If new the depreciation is a killer for me. If you are just starting out you really don't know what you like and don't like. I would suggest you purchase a less expensive coach and try it out. I have heard of people that buy new and don't really like rv'ing and sell their rig after 1 or 2 years and loose as much as $50,000.