Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
Entegra Owners Club
Question Looking to buy a Class A Diesel Pusher

This will be our first coach. We did rent first so we KNOW this is for us! I am also blessed to have a heated/cooled workshop with sewer dump and electrical connections. We are looking at used in the $150-$200K ( about 2006 -2013) range used or $250 -$300K price ranges (new). We've looked mostly a Monacos options (mostly 2006 though I have seen a low miles 2013 diplomat for $209K - Maxxforce engine) used and either a Entegra/Tuscany new. Eventually we may want to upgrade to a much nicer coach when permanently retiring and downsizing (5-10 years). Thoughts on a best path for first coach - new/used or Tuscany/Entegra/other? For us some musts - tag axle, diesel, 43+feet, good for cold weather, 450 hp and 1250 ft lb torque minimum, trailering capable of minimum 10,000 lb capacity, easy walk through when closed, all upscale features possible, tile ideally. We will travel with 7 dogs and a cat.

Thoughts or recommendations?

ehuwebeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
ehuwebeltz, you are at about the same place as I was six months ago. I basically researched this forum, looked at RV Trader, dealers wesites, and many other sources for over a year. I read many of the owner's forums and tried to collect all the data I could on owner satisfaction. I narrowed my search down to Newmar, Entegra, and Tiffin. After looking at 2015 Newmar Dutch Stars and Ventanas, and Entegra Aspires and Anthems, we ended up with a gently used 2007 Mountain Aire tag axle. It has the big ISM 450HP and a 15K towing capacity. We decided to save the money (50-100K) of purchasing a new one, and see how we felt after a 5-10 years. There should be a lot of gently used high-end coaches available in your price range. You will barely get into a new DP for 200K.

Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
Welcome to IRV2! You've got a good start by looking at Monaco's. Just be diligent in your endeavor and look at a lot of coaches. I know it's kind of hard since your 300 miles from anywhere...I live in the same town...there is just a limited amount here. Look on the Internet at MHRV and PPL in Houston. You can get an idea of of what you can get for the amount of Money you're willing to spend. And as they say, buy your last coach first.

We found a Foretravel a few months back and they are excellent coaches plus they meet about all of your requirements. Just remember that coaches all look good in the pictures...in real life, not so much. If you need help I'm here along with a lot of good people on this site. You'll get a lot of good advise here. Good luck!

Bruce & Teresa
40' 2000 Foretravel U320
Cummins M11 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel
U320 4010
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
Don't forget Travel Supreme Select 45ft 500 hp Cummins with Allison 4000 . You should be able to get a nice one 2005 to 2007 for your budget with four slides.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Commercial Member
For that good used price range 05-08 HR / Monaco / Beaver / Tiffin / Country Coach / Travel Supreme fits the bill! Have fun.
06 HR Navigator 45'PBQ Detroit 60 / 2011 Ford Edge
USAF 72-82 A1E/A1H(SkyRaider) DW Retired Nurse
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
All good advice above, that being to buy a quality coach from a high end builder. And there are many great used units available at a good price. Monoco, Country Coach, Beaver, Travel Supreme, Newmar, Holiday Rambler, just to name a few.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Max force

The MaxForce has some pretty bad reviews online. We have a lot of them in our bus fleet. Some seem to have problems and some do not. Mine is just under 30K and so far zero problems. It is 2014, most of the problems for us are with the 2013 and older units. Our 2015 units are Cummings 5.9 and get far better fuel mileage but my personal thoughts are more engine is better for MH and towing.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

Wanting something that can handle cold narrows the field to a few.

Used: Travel Supreme (Entegra), Newmar, Entegra, Triple E and Foretravel are the top insulators.

New: Entegra (highest R value), Newmar (second highest) and way out of budget Foretravel. Everybody else (all of them) have the same wall construction, around R7.

I would put Monaco way above the Tuscany and Entegra above both. Above the Monaco because of insulation, above the Tuscany for more reasons then I care to write. A simple walk through will show you what I mean.

You'll want hydronic heat in anything you buy.

When we bought I narrowed the list pretty fast to Newmar and Entegra.

For us Newmar won because of customizing, they built us what we wanted for the same price as everybody else.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
Go to rv.org pay what they are asking it will be the best bucks you spend on your rv. Then after you've read everything and then go to oddle.com punch in what you are looking for and check the update box and you will get daily udates from all over the web except craigs list.
good luck and happy hunting
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Just my 2 cents:
I would only look at Monaco up to 2007. (I love Monaco).
If I was looking at newer then 07 I would look strongly toward Newmar.
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
Nexus Class A

I was very impressed by the brand new Nexus Class A.

And I'm a Mega-C guy with no bone for Class A's.

2014 ShowHauler 45'
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
brunsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'd have me a country coach! Motorhomes for Sale | Country Coach Corporation
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can probably pick up a Nice DP Tuscany for just under 200K if you negotiate it. Try looking online at Texas RV Dealer, Used RVs for sale, motorhome sales, new RVs and see what they are selling their new units for. They have some very good prices. They do not have any extra charges such as PDI etc. Negotiate from there. Good luck
Charlie & Diane Amato
2014 Thor Tuscany 40XE XTE DP
Ferndale, Arkansas
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
Delayed welcome to the forum!

You are in a great position on the financial front, as far as the budget ranges you have available.

I noticed what I felt were a few gaps in your posts. You mention to well respected 'middle of the pack' coaches, along with higher end coaches. (For example, the Diplomat is a notch above entry level vs the Entegra is more towards the top of the mid level coaches (depending upon year, even the bottom of the upper level coaches) - all very subjective, and for sure not meant to be a ding to either coach. I slide the Tuscany in below the Diplomat, in the pecking order.

You also mentioned 10K Lbs capability, and while a ISL425 will get it done for you, it will be working pretty hard. I would not even consider the Maxxforce for that kind of towing.

I'd suggest a bit more 'Surf-education' on the Upper End/Top Tier coaches. Most of these will come with a BIG BLOCK Cummis/CAT/Detroit engine, that will give you the towing capacity you desire. And more important, most will come with true Jake Compression braking assistance, either 2 Stage, or perhaps 3 Stage. When towing heavy loads, especially if Western Mountains are in your future travels, braking capability is more important them how fast you can pull the hill.

Look at the Top Tier's of:
-Travel Supreme (Select)
-Newmar's Mountain Aire on up (ISM or ISX, skip ISL's)
-Monaco (Beaver Patriot on up, Executive, HR equivalent)
-Country Coach (Intrigue on up)
-Wanderlodge LXI
-Foretravel (Has the transmission Retarder, which is nice)

(Not intended to be a complete list, but these are the upper end of the good chain in normal coaches.)

As you feel you will be upgrading closer towards retirement, I'd not get to hung up on the year. Indeed, even an older 2002-2004 might be a better over all coach, due to less smog stuff on the engines. Focus on the higher quality levels, in excellent documented maintained condition. Don't be afraid to pay a bit more than NADA for a well maintained (WITH AGAIN, DOCUMENTATION) coach. I'd suggest the lower end of your budget range of about $150K. Then take it to a good quality shop and 'tune and adjust' any interior items you and the wife might like altered. Say $15-25K to make it 'your coach'. Then go use it and have some fun.

When you get ready for the Retirement Coach, I'd suggest the same thing again, dropping a few years to get into a higher end coach. Prevost line, Newell, top of the line Foretravel's, etc.

Happy hunting, but really take sometime to get to know what the top end coache are, and be sure you are getting a power train that will support your needs. Also, it may not be a big deal to you, but if you can keep it under 45', most states don't require special Driver Licenses. Your mentioned 43' is a great size to consider!

Welcome again,

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote

diesel, class a