Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #1

Looking to buy a Monaco Camelot

My wife and I found a 2009 Camelot 42PDQ that appears to be like new condition even though it has 28,000 miles on it. I ran a Carfax report on it and it looks like we would be the fourth owner in four years. That sent up a red flag. It was purchased in Montana in 08 and twice in Florada and traded here in Colorado. I can't decide if it's been a lemon or if it's just been used by three owners for a short time to travel the country. This is our first motorhome. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

Find another mh.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Doesn't sound good. Can you talk to the latest owner? According to the internet, it has an MSRP of nearly $350k, I'd do some serious research.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You may want to dig further on the owners. MHs of that era were subject to repo. A repo could change hands 2 to 3 times before a final sale. The last person could have bought it and it just wasn't their cup of tea. If you like it and the price, dig further.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Research the past owner and contact them. If the dealer will not provide you that information, they are hiding something and walk away.

I purchased a 2008 Camelot DSQ that was a repo unit. I could account for all the miles on it except 5,000 in delivery from manufacturer to selling dealer, dealer to first owners address, owners address to auction site. auction site to dealer I purchased from. I also did a car fax, but did not contact the original owner.

I have been very pleased with my 2008 Camelot.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

I don't think I can find the previous owner through the DMV due to privacy laws. I'll call them today to see if they will pass my contact information to the the owner and see if the owner will contact me, but I doubt they will do that.

An independent mechanical inspection was done by someone in November and December (I'm assuming separate couch and chassis inspections) by Magoo's Automotive Consultants, Inc. I've contacted them to see if I can get a copy of the report. I'm thinking if a potential buyer payed to have an inspection performed and decided not to buy the couch, that's another negative data point.

On the test drive the couch was badly out of alignment and they said they got that taken care of. The couch has a new set of tires on it. How long do tires last on these units?

Right now I'm leaning toward refusing delivery and forfeiting my $1k deposit.

Sorry about my fat fingering the spelling of Monaco in the title.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Most reputable dealers will return your $1k deposit...mine did when I changed my mind.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

How's this for some plausible reasons the couch has been sold 3 times since 2008: First owner lost warranty when Monaco went bankrupt. I have nothing for why the second owner sold after about one year, maybe the same as the first. The last owner tried to sell on their own and had the unit detailed, inspected, and new tires installed before they traded it to K&C RV at the beginning of March a new $350+ MH.

It's $49000 below NADA Average Retail and in "like new" condition. We are getting the loan at a 4% interest rate. I think we will be buying this unit tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. The Monaco Camelot is a nice coach. Best of luck with your purchase.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
It sounds like you maybe venturing forth without any good information on what you're looking for. I would STRONGLY recommend you go to rv.org pay their price read ALL their material, figure out what would work for you then go to oodle.com plug in what you've decided to look for and then when you've gone through all the ones that sound good to you check the box to have them email you updates daily. They search all over the web. When you've narrowed it down plan on spending some time and money traveling to check the rigs out in person. Also beware of scams. If it sounds too good to be true it's not.
I do not get anything from either one of these organizations it just provides you with a tremendous amount of information and lets you go into the transaction forearmed. Good luck and do not be afraid to walk away from a deal.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. We ended up not taking delivery on the couch last week because I still was not satisfied with the handling on the highway. It was better then the first test drive, but still seemed to pull to the right. The dealer is taking another look at the front-end and will get back me this week.

Good news is I was able to talk to the previous owner and he gave the couch a clean bill of health and also told us there is an active transferable extended warranty on the couch.

We'll see if we can Get R Done this time.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why would it need new tires????????????
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllk3rd View Post
Why would it need new tires????????????
The previous owner said he replaced all the tires a month before he decided to trade the unit. He didn't say why he replaced the tires, just that he wouldn't have if he'd known he was trading it in so soon. I did thank him for the new tires.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tom, so are you now a Camelot owner?

Tags
monaco