Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Bama96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Birmingham,Al/Destin,Fl
Posts: 282
Which wholesalers should I contact?


Again what is the Five Star tune?

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
2014 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
Bama96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
usinvestment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
Which wholesalers should I contact?


Again what is the Five Star tune?

Thanks.
5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

Is where I purchased from. There is more information in the Ford Chassis section, there is a good thread on the 5 star tune. Many have done the upgrade as I have. I noticed a nice upgrade in performance. The people at 5startuning were helpful with install questions. I felt it was worth the money. Check the thread and ask questions, I'm a rookie.
__________________

__________________
Phillip, AZ, 2013 Fleetwood Storm, Roadmaster Front Stabilizer, Koni FSD Front Shocks, DIY Rear Track Bar, CHF, 5 Star Tune, 2010 Kia Soul Toad
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
usinvestment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Yes, if you take off the doghouse and line it with Dynamat, it does wonders. I also used the extra that came with the box i ordered, and used it on the underside of the sub-floor area around the dog house. You can google Dynamat to see/understand how it works if you are not familiar with it.

As to what Moonshine said, that is also a big help, the 5 star tune changes the shift points in the transmission, which keeps engine/tranny from revving up as high. It is a must have addition. Not to mention is adds extra HP & Torque.

After doing both Dynamat & 5 star tuner the noise level is very minimal.
Thanks DegoRed for the information, I ordered some today. I've learned a lot from the Thor owners group, you guys have a lot of good upgrades and information, Thanks. I did the 5 star tune and yes it's nice upgrade.
__________________
Phillip, AZ, 2013 Fleetwood Storm, Roadmaster Front Stabilizer, Koni FSD Front Shocks, DIY Rear Track Bar, CHF, 5 Star Tune, 2010 Kia Soul Toad
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
SkipRD's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 103
Thor ACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
Been reading all the threads on the Thor ACE. Seems to be about 90% positive. Understanding that it is an entry level Class A and the quality is not superior. Just looking for input. I was set on buying a Thor 28Z Class C until I stumbled on the ACE for just 12-14K more. Wife likes the 30.1 due to the split bath and larger kitchen counter. I like the 27.1 due to the King Bed. The motorhome will be for two adults and two small kids. Reviews and pricing on the 2014s would be helpful. Thanks!
We have a 2013 30.1 and love it for the reasons you mention. We've found the build quality and fit/finish to be fine. We've had a fit nits here and there, but nothing major and certainly nothing that would dissuade me from the brand. (People complain about all brands and I try not to let perennial grumps influence my purchasing decisions.) The biggest problem we've had is that the Jensen TV failed, but frankly I was glad and replaced it with a Vizio. That was a couple hundred dollars. The ACE 30.1 layout is perfect (for us--YMMV), fuel economy is good (average 8.5 mpg, 7.7 pulling the toad), towing performance is acceptable, driveability is excellent, on-road comfort is excellent, etc. I note there have been some complaints about generator noise--we haven't noticed that problem. We are doing the usual number of modifications and customizations, mostly because we're incurable tinkerers, but you'll probably find your own list of little changes you'll make. You get the idea. All things considered, the Thor ACE is just fine for us.

One other point to consider--Thor customer/technical support is stellar. We've been RV'ing for over 30 years and had lots of contacts with manufacturer's reps, and Thor is by far the best. Thor even assigns you a "concierge" when you buy the unit who will check in a couple times during the first few months to make sure you're happy! I've called technical support a couple times (the most recent one just this week as I worked through the BCC recall), and I'm amazed at the courtesy and diligence I've seen. What a pleasure.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if there's any other information I can provide. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Skip
__________________
Skip
K4EAK
2013 ACE 30.1, http://skiprd.com
SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Bama96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Birmingham,Al/Destin,Fl
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipRD View Post
We have a 2013 30.1 and love it for the reasons you mention. We've found the build quality and fit/finish to be fine. We've had a fit nits here and there, but nothing major and certainly nothing that would dissuade me from the brand. (People complain about all brands and I try not to let perennial grumps influence my purchasing decisions.) The biggest problem we've had is that the Jensen TV failed, but frankly I was glad and replaced it with a Vizio. That was a couple hundred dollars. The ACE 30.1 layout is perfect (for us--YMMV), fuel economy is good (average 8.5 mpg, 7.7 pulling the toad), towing performance is acceptable, driveability is excellent, on-road comfort is excellent, etc. I note there have been some complaints about generator noise--we haven't noticed that problem. We are doing the usual number of modifications and customizations, mostly because we're incurable tinkerers, but you'll probably find your own list of little changes you'll make. You get the idea. All things considered, the Thor ACE is just fine for us.

One other point to consider--Thor customer/technical support is stellar. We've been RV'ing for over 30 years and had lots of contacts with manufacturer's reps, and Thor is by far the best. Thor even assigns you a "concierge" when you buy the unit who will check in a couple times during the first few months to make sure you're happy! I've called technical support a couple times (the most recent one just this week as I worked through the BCC recall), and I'm amazed at the courtesy and diligence I've seen. What a pleasure.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if there's any other information I can provide. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Skip

Thanks Skip. Great info I appreciate the responses here.
__________________
Bama96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
Which wholesalers should I contact?


Again what is the Five Star tune?

Thanks.
I got my quote from Jeff Blair at RVDirect.
__________________
2010 F150 King Ranch
2014 Forest River FR3
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Bama96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Birmingham,Al/Destin,Fl
Posts: 282
Well took the wife to the dealer. Looked at the ACE 30.1. Wife liked it ok but she fell in love with the Winnebago Minnie Winnie 331K. She felt the quality was better than the ACE and the open den she liked with the large kitchen counter. Now we are confused.
__________________
Bama96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
Member
 
Pammyjams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 53
Hello!

Have you looked at the Forest River FR3? We were in the market for a 30' class A with the drop down bed. We really liked the 30.1 ACE. But had some things we didn't like... Single round sink, didn't like it, but I could live with it. We also looked at the Winnebago Vista... It was just kind of plain. Then we saw the FR3 and we knew that is what we wanted!!

We did a lot of research and it turned out that the FR3 was the one for us!!

Good luck, shopping is fun!
__________________
Pammyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
SkipRD's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 103
Winnie versus ACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
Well took the wife to the dealer. Looked at the ACE 30.1. Wife liked it ok but she fell in love with the Winnebago Minnie Winnie 331K. She felt the quality was better than the ACE and the open den she liked with the large kitchen counter. Now we are confused.
The layout issue is purely personal preference, so nothing to say there. As to "the quality was better than the ACE," I'd be careful about such judgments. It's hard to get a valid evaluation of quality from reading online anecdotal reports, and it's definitely impossible from a personal inspection of a few units. If you haven't been following it, the worst nightmare I've read recently about shameful quality control and manufacturer indifference (even vindictiveness) pertained to a $400,000 Winnebago! (See here, with a link to this story.) FWIW, I'd think that the best way to address potential quality concerns is on the basis of a specific unit: do a thorough pre-delivery inspection, go over all of the major systems, insist on major items being right, and then keep a happy disposition and even temperament for the little nits as they crop up. Of course, that advice and a $1.50 will buy you a cup of coffee.

Incidentally, someone else suggested the Forest River FR3. We previously owned a Forest River trailer and were quite happy with it. The layout of the FR3 doesn't look right for me, but had it been offered with a more suitable configuration, it definitely would have been on my list.

Have fun,
Skip
__________________
Skip
K4EAK
2013 ACE 30.1, http://skiprd.com
SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Unfortunately, the perception of 'quality' can mean just about anything when looking at a product, and I mean any product.

In the case of a motorhome there is the 'quality' of the layout..."I don't like the step up to the bedroom, this is junk"...for instance. Then there is the materials; one may have a darker woodgrain than another and someone may think that is indicative to the 'quality.' The nooise complaints in the A.C.E. may mean quality to some. The tape job on the tank wiring may mean a lack of 'quality' to someone else.

To me the idea of quality mostly pertains to dependability and reliability. Since most of these are all built on the same Ford F53 chassis there is not much difference to that part so now we need to look at the house part. Since most of them are all made out of aluminum frames with non-wood walls and ceilings, there is not much different there either (except Winnebago and now Forest River have fiberglass roofs but that again is design and not 'qulaity'). So that leaves layout (not quality), cabinet materials or construction, or features. The Thor A's and C's seem to have a bunch of features so that is not qulaity either.

My only point is that 'quality' is very subjective and means something different to just about everyone.

Now, on to the subject at hand; I too am in a position to search for a replacement coach. Our 'test unit' 1992 Class C that has carried us for 45,000 miles in 4 years was totalled by a hotel valet driver who backed the coach into a concrete block caving in the rear wall. The cost to repair far exceeds the value so boom; the thing is done. The Thor 28z (Class C) or A.C.E. 29.2 (Class A) are on the short list. I am looking forward to crawling through both at the upcoming RV show and both look good on paper. The A.C.E. has a higher GVW and GCVW rating so everything will be larger or stronger...brakes, suspension, frame, etc. so it may be more reliable. The 28z is more familiar and $10k cheaper.

For those that say 'ah, but for that $10k you get....' I have also conducted my own non-scientific survey of units for sale in my area and the Class C's seem to hold their value better. Class A's of the same vintage, similar miles, and similar layouts are less money used than the Class C's. Yes, surprising. So, like I said, I look forward to crawling through these two AND the FR3 as well!

regards,
Dan
1992 Coachmen Leprechaun 265RF
__________________
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
usinvestment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 233
My 2 cents. Just purchased a new coach 6 week ago after 18 months of research and looking at many coaches. I'm very fortunate to be in a area with many dealers selling every model of coach. Even then I traveled 900 miles to pick up a coach and saved over $5,000 after negotiating a good deal.

I had over 20 years in the RV industry so I know the ins and outs. These coaches are build on assembly lines. A new model will have many issues to workout and most of the times these issues they won't even know about for years until they pop up.

I stuck to my list. There are around 5 to 6 class A coaches in the 28-31 ft range all around the same price out the door. I excluded two models immediately after reading this blog and one is a brand new model with many bugs still. This blog will help you figure this out. It's not my business to slam a coach I took off my list. Hopefully you will take the time to look and figure this out. Buying the first model year of any RV is a big, big risk. I guarantee this will show to be true with the highly touted new model, this blog will prove this.

My point is: All of the 6 coaches I had on my final list I could get at about the same price after negotiations. So, never exclude a model because of price. The MSRP will scare many people. I highly recommend you look at this blog in the owners section to see which owners group is the most commented on. The coach you like double check all the blogs and issues.

I highly recommend a coach that has been built for many years and most of the issues are worked out. There is a big difference in fit and finish between the manufacturers, look and take time to look very close. There are other good class A coaches in this size and price seldom mentioned, and have been built for years

I looked at Class C and Class A. The class A won hands down after driving.

Good luck!
__________________
Phillip, AZ, 2013 Fleetwood Storm, Roadmaster Front Stabilizer, Koni FSD Front Shocks, DIY Rear Track Bar, CHF, 5 Star Tune, 2010 Kia Soul Toad
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Bama96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Birmingham,Al/Destin,Fl
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
My 2 cents. Just purchased a new coach 6 week ago after 18 months of research and looking at many coaches. I'm very fortunate to be in a area with many dealers selling every model of coach. Even then I traveled 900 miles to pick up a coach and saved over $5,000 after negotiating a good deal.

I had over 20 years in the RV industry so I know the ins and outs. These coaches are build on assembly lines. A new model will have many issues to workout and most of the times these issues they won't even know about for years until they pop up.

I stuck to my list. There are around 5 to 6 class A coaches in the 28-31 ft range all around the same price out the door. I excluded two models immediately after reading this blog and one is a brand new model with many bugs still. This blog will help you figure this out. It's not my business to slam a coach I took off my list. Hopefully you will take the time to look and figure this out. Buying the first model year of any RV is a big, big risk. I guarantee this will show to be true with the highly touted new model, this blog will prove this.

My point is: All of the 6 coaches I had on my final list I could get at about the same price after negotiations. So, never exclude a model because of price. The MSRP will scare many people. I highly recommend you look at this blog in the owners section to see which owners group is the most commented on. The coach you like double check all the blogs and issues.

I highly recommend a coach that has been built for many years and most of the issues are worked out. There is a big difference in fit and finish between the manufacturers, look and take time to look very close. There are other good class A coaches in this size and price seldom mentioned, and have been built for years

I looked at Class C and Class A. The class A won hands down after driving.

Good luck!
Thanks! learned today that the Class A is the way to go. I was to cramped driving the Class C. I am 6'5" and 265lbs. It was tight! The Class A Winnebago was a dream to drive with plenty of room. My wife is now wanting the Winnebago Vista 35F with a 145K MSRP. My dealer has one that is loaded up and she is sold. I cant get her to loo at anything else. I am doomed.
__________________
Bama96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
DegoRed's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 716
Bama, if you are looking in that price range, then you need to go check out a Hurricane/Windsport same coach, just different name, they sell for around $92K, which is what I am guessing that $145K Winne sells for. Much nicer coach IMO than the Vista, with a lot more whistles and bells.

Good Luck!
__________________
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Bama96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Birmingham,Al/Destin,Fl
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Bama, if you are looking in that price range, then you need to go check out a Hurricane/Windsport same coach, just different name, they sell for around $92K, which is what I am guessing that $145K Winne sells for. Much nicer coach IMO than the Vista, with a lot more whistles and bells.

Good Luck!
We plan on looking at those as well. There was a used Hurricane on the lot but it had a smokers smell. Too bad too. Nicely priced.

I have looked at the Thor Windsport online and it has the same floor plan as the Winnie. The half bath with the large bath in the rear. They sure seem very similar. Its a unique and popular layout. By the way you guys are great and I appreciate the patience shown to this newb.
__________________

__________________
Bama96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.