Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #1

Looking to buy an ACE

Been reading all the threads on the Thor ACE. Seems to be about 90% positive.
Understanding that it is an entry level Class A and the quality is not superior. Just looking for input.

I was set on buying a Thor 28Z Class C until I stumbled on the ACE for just 12-14K more. Wife likes the 30.1 due to the split bath and larger kitchen counter. I like the 27.1 due to the King Bed. The motorhome will be for two adults and two small kids. Reviews and pricing on the 2014s would be helpful. Thanks!
Bama96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our first MH was a 2012 29.1 ACE. We really liked it but there were things that I wish it had but didn't (like electric controlled rear view mirrors). It is a good rig on the Ford chassis and motor. It was just the two of us and our two dogs. We had plenty of room and storage for what we needed to take. My biggest complaint is the amount of engine noise we got especially going up hills. It was very hard to carry on a conversation much less listen to the radio. Sorry I can't help you with any information about the 2014s.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #3

Thanks! I have heard that the noise is a problem and the Generator was an issue. Apparently the Generator problem was fixed in the 2014s with it being relocated.

Is the ACE any louder than the Class C of similar size? I was prepared to buy the Thor 28Z but the ACE has my attention.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

Look close at the size. You may find it a bit small for four. Have you thought of maybe going a bit larger and buying used?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
Thanks! I have heard that the noise is a problem and the Generator was an issue. Apparently the Generator problem was fixed in the 2014s with it being relocated.

Is the ACE any louder than the Class C of similar size? I was prepared to buy the Thor 28Z but the ACE has my attention.
I have not owned a Class C but I would imagine that it is quieter since the engine is actually in front of you instead of being right below you like it is in the ACE.

I would say buy what suits you best, or should I say, what suits the DW best. At least with the ACE I think that you have more outside storage bays.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Look close at the size. You may find it a bit small for four. Have you thought of maybe going a bit larger and buying used?
Well I was trying to only spend 75K or less. That was my original thought. I can get the 28Z Class C for 57K and these ACE Class As are around 75K. Don't want to buy used without warranty. I don't want anyones problems.

My kids are 4.5 and 1.5 years old so they don't take up too much space yet. They want to go to Disney World in it in Dec.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bama, an ACE is perfect for you, we have one(29.2) and have 2 kids much older than yours, no problems with space or room. If you spend $100 on dynamat almost 80% of engine noise goes away. The class A is 100 times better and nicer than a class C, truthfully not even sure why manufactures make a class C any more. Not sure what lack of power mirrors Gmadams is referring to, mine has power mirrors and rear/side cameras, so maybe they got a stripped down model.

Truthfully, the ACE is the best bang for your buck. Yea they have had some issues, but no one else offers same for same money.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Bama, an ACE is perfect for you, we have one(29.2) and have 2 kids much older than yours, no problems with space or room. If you spend $100 on dynamat almost 80% of engine noise goes away. The class A is 100 times better and nicer than a class C, truthfully not even sure why manufactures make a class C any more. Not sure what lack of power mirrors Gmadams is referring to, mine has power mirrors and rear/side cameras, so maybe they got a stripped down model.

Truthfully, the ACE is the best bang for your buck. Yea they have had some issues, but no one else offers same for same money.

Good luck!
Lots of happy ACE owners on the road. I looked at them also, they have good floor plans and a nice looking coach.

DegoRed, can you elaborate on the dynamat. Do you put this on the inside of the doghouse?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #9

Another thing that will greatly help with engine noise is a Five Star Tune. You'll spend far less time with the engine screaming in third gear. It makes for a much more pleasant (quieter) driving experience. As long as you get one new enough to have the rear mounted genset I'd recommend one.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Another thing that will greatly help with engine noise is a Five Star Tune. You'll spend far less time with the engine screaming in third gear. It makes for a much more pleasant (quieter) driving experience. As long as you get one new enough to have the rear mounted genset I'd recommend one.
Ok someone educate me on the Five Star Tune. What is it and who can do it? Is it a programmer for the engine computer?
Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, if you take off the doghouse and line it with Dynamat, it does wonders. I also used the extra that came with the box i ordered, and used it on the underside of the sub-floor area around the dog house. You can google Dynamat to see/understand how it works if you are not familiar with it.

As to what Moonshine said, that is also a big help, the 5 star tune changes the shift points in the transmission, which keeps engine/tranny from revving up as high. It is a must have addition. Not to mention is adds extra HP & Torque.

After doing both Dynamat & 5 star tuner the noise level is very minimal.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #12

It's amazing that Thor and others do not use dynamat (or equivalent) originally, especially if the results are so great! I have used lizard skin and dynamat on car restorations and the stuff is fantastic! Not just noise but I bet it helps with heat as well!
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we have the 29.2 2013 ACE, the gen is in the rear, never had any issues with it...as for noise...we have Sirius Sat Radio...noise is not a problem. And we have the back up camera and cameras on both mirrors
Old 08-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
I have not owned a Class C but I would imagine that it is quieter since the engine is actually in front of you instead of being right below you like it is in the ACE.

I would say buy what suits you best, or should I say, what suits the DW best. At least with the ACE I think that you have more outside storage bays.
Class Cs arent any better. The doghouse just happens to be beside you instead of under you. Unlike a truck, the van chassis has the motor sitting much further back, and the reason for the GIGANTIC center console in a Class C is to cover the doghouse.

Worth noting, now that youre sitting beside the engine, your right leg and the loud pedal are now beside an exhaust manifold. Food for thought.

You might check some of the RV wholesalers around. Before I bought our FR3, I was quoted a price on a 29.2 and 30.1 in the high 60's.