Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Smile Looking to buy first Class A Diesel

I guess I need to jump in here and ask. I am going crazy looking at used Class A diesels. The floor plan is not that important except the wife wants a booth not a table and washer/dryer. Looking at 36 to 40 and under $85000. I see 2005 or
2006 Fleetwood Expeditions, Excurison's and Discovery in that price and Tiffin Allegro Bay 2003 and 2004 in that price and 2003 Holiday Ramblers or Monoco. So I need to focus on one or two manufactures, so what has the best ride and reliability.

Hope this is not too crazy of a question but, there are a lot of information from you that will help me. This will be our first RV. Look forward to some great discussions.

Thanks
franktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best luck on your search

Your post was buried in a thread about buying a good new-construction Class A DP, so it is moved to improve your responses.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #3

As posted many time .... Take your time .... look at everything that's available out there .... from this search you will start to whittle down your list of make & model ... You may say right now the FP is not that important ... but when you think about spending any extended time in the coach ... it will become more important ....
W&Ds and booth seating are pretty common ... so ... depending on how you will be using your coach ... I'm certain your priorities will change .....
We found that looking at the earlier higher end coaches, we were able to find what would work for us ...
Again ... take your time .... enjoy the adventure ... you'll find the one that works best !!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktr View Post
I guess I need to jump in here and ask. I am going crazy looking at used Class A diesels. The floor plan is not that important except the wife wants a booth not a table and washer/dryer. Looking at 36 to 40 and under $85000. I see 2005 or
2006 Fleetwood Expeditions, Excurison's and Discovery in that price and Tiffin Allegro Bay 2003 and 2004 in that price and 2003 Holiday Ramblers or Monoco. So I need to focus on one or two manufactures, so what has the best ride and reliability.

Hope this is not too crazy of a question but, there are a lot of information from you that will help me. This will be our first RV. Look forward to some great discussions.

Thanks
Yes take your time, look them over for any signs of water leaks around the roof line, sky lights, AC units.
We did not want a booth did not like the idea of having to slide in to set down. We do have the washer and dryer BUT the main thing I had to have was a side radiator, my daughter has a Monaco with a rear radiator and when you open the back all you see is radiator and if you ever have to work on one you will have to go down through the bedroom or from the underside. To change the serpentine belt may take up to 4hrs or more at $125 hr it adds up, I changed mine in about 2 min plus I can see my motor. Everyone is different and the rear radiator will work for them, not me, i do all of my service.
Check windows for fog can be big bucks to fix, tires older than 7 years replace some say 10 years, check the frig we had the not-so-cold and ditched it for the Samsung 197.
Have fun in looking and don't take the first one you see.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

You have a similar budget to what I am looking at however I am several months away from being able to get something. I have to get my divorce finalized then save up before I can get another RV

My take is most manufacturers will be similar in maintenance/reliability. They are all 10 or so years old thus it's probably more important to get one that has been well cared for. Booth and washer/dryer is part of the floorplan & are two things that I want. Typically going 07 or 08 & newer you will get newer HD TV's, not sure if that's a concern or not.

For myself I will more then likely get another Fleetwood coach, they are made about 2 hours away from where I live thus if I need to head to the manufacturer its a short drive to have the factory do the work.

Not sure if you have looked at this site but pplmotorhomes.com seems to have a big selection and realistic prices on coaches.... they are out of Texas.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love our 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT! It was one of the last models Monaco built using the Roadmaster chassis with welded steel "house" frame. It has 8 air bags which are also used for auto leveling, no hydraulic jacks to give trouble! It drives and rides like a dream! You would be able to find one for around $70k.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Ask the D/W about that floor plan again. IMHO, that's the most important thing the wives consider. You don't want to buy a coach and then have her say, "I wish we had gotten one with the............................."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Community Moderator

How about this one? It meets your criteria.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448069190.163881.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	112444
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448069231.181943.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	112445
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
IMHO, try and stick with a Monaco/Holiday Rambler. Particularly the Dynasty model. If almost impossible to make a wrong choice unless it wasn't maintained.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #10

Country coach, Tiffin, Monaco, Holiday Rambler are all great brands that have 36' models and have a booth option. ( I wish mine did ) But if you find the right coach with everything a booth conversion is not too hard.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
How about this one? It meets your criteria.

Attachment 112444
Attachment 112445
it looks great a little over my max price where is it?
Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Country coach, Tiffin, Monaco, Holiday Rambler are all great brands that have 36' models and have a booth option. ( I wish mine did ) But if you find the right coach with everything a booth conversion is not too hard.
I have heard to replace a table with a booth is a real pain. The cost of a booth from what I have seen is a little more than a $1000 to buy but, to install? The local dealer the labor would be out of sight.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #13

That's funny ... we looked high and low to find a layout with a table instead of a booth. To each his own.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #14

We were in the same boat you are a year ago. Did not know a lot about motorhomes in general or the difference in floor plans. Ended up with a 06 Discovery 39L one owner. Now that we have had it for a year, and have looked at other floor plans, we are looking to sell and move into a 40X. Lots of choices out there.