Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #1

looking to purchase an RV

Im in the market for an rv and I Have found 2 I like and would like a little advise on the two.
The first is a 1996 Safari Sable 38' with a 300hp cummins It in very nice shape except a little stain on the headline from an a/c leak that has been fixed. price is $20,000
The second is a 1993 gulfsteam tournaster 39' also with a 300 cummins also in very nice shape. price is 25,000
I know of the handling issues with the safari and would install the tiger tracks and koni shock any input would be great thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Both have good engines. Jim

Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #3

Is any one familiar with the safari sable? I cant seem to find any info on it. NADA does not even list it in their data base.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #4

There have many earlier posts with good advice on this subject, but you have not mentioned how you intend to use this RV. Full-time, vacation only or if towing will be involved. Also how comfortable are you with the upkeep load that will almost certainly be involved with an RV of this age. These may or not be hanger queens, but maybe get some one to do a survey of both units. Money well spent I would say. There are some good 10-15 year old units out there, but a lot of junk also. Take your time and know the market and know your risks. Good luck.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

I think he meant a '96 Safari SAHARA EDITION.

But the engine is wrong also. In '96 Safari went to the CAT 3126 HEUI engine which was available in both 250HP (std) and 300HP.

I've been very pleased with mine. Excellent quality, solid wood cabinetry, huge bays, great standard features.

Link to pictures of my coach in my signature below.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I can't give you any advice on either coach however there are a lot of things to look at including that all the systems are functioning and that there are no leaks anyplace.

As far as the Diesel goes I will stick my neck out and say there is a lot of maintainence on a diesel that isn't on a gas unit such as making sure the radiator is clean, keeping injectors clean and diesel fuel gelling in cold weather plus sometimes oil changes can be very expensive.

Also have you ever driven anything that big before as they are not cars or regular trucks. Some of the big rigs have long overhangs in the rear plus a lot of the state parks don't have room for the big rigs.

Lastly if you realy have your mind made up take it to a reliable mechanic and let them check it out also maybe an RV dealer and let them go over everything before you buy.

God Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #7

The model is a sable From what i understand they did not make many. It has a front entry door and upscaled interior. Ill try to post a pic later. The engine is a cummins not the cat. It also has the robot head looking dash for the instruments but they left the right side glove box one off.

We will be using it for vacations only 1 or 2 weeks at a time and we will be taking a tow car with us.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #8

Only good pic I have right now

also found an interior pic
Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #9

Two odd options this coach has is a dishwasher and a king size bed
Old 08-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

After looking at the tourmaster we have decided to go with the safari. the wife did not like the all white laminate interior of the tour master. It did have some good things going for it ( spartan chassis being one and a 1 owner the other) but the sable has a better floor plan. We should be picking it up the end of the week.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Harney Renegade and it was made by Safari motor coach. I had delamination problems but mostly due to the previous owners neglect. It was a beautiful coach inside and we loved it. Had to trade because of the problems I stated. It also had a rear radiator and was hard to work on, my Newmar has a side radiator much easier. Check the exterior over real good and it should be a good coach for what you are going to use it for.It looks a lot like ours did on the inside. Jim

Tags
purchase