Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #15

In regards to tax advantages..... the OP is in Canada, so our tax advice is probably not applicable to him (actually, I know it's not - I grew up in London, Ontario... and although I moved south over 20 years ago I am reminded by all my Canadian friends how the tax law still suck up there).

Not even sure if an LLC can even exist up up there. Certainly, as a self-employed person, I have looked at the tax laws in Canada and I *shudder* at the thought of trying to do business there.....

But, back on topic.... no.... I wouldn't rent my rig to anyone!!!!

t

2002 Alfa SeeYa #0325
Sportbike Track Time - Southern Division Director -
http://www.sportbiketracktime.com
twowheeltrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeltrev View Post

But, back on topic.... no.... I wouldn't rent my rig to anyone!!!!

Actually, that is the opposite of being on topic.
The OP asked where to get a rental agreement form, and specifically asked not to get all the "why I shouldn't rent" posts.
And out of 14 replies, only 2 gave him information that he asked for, the rest were what he asked NOT to get or off topic comments.
I guess this post makes it 13 out of 15.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #17
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess at least 12 out of 15 of us care about our friends here on irv2 and want to point out possible pitfalls. None of us would let a known safety issue go unmentioned -- to me this is similar. My apologies if anyone is offended. The intent is to educate and protect, not judge.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For some folks, getting a consensus of one, is sufficent to make anything OK?

As already noted, I would t get an attorney to set up a good contract, based on the laws in your state. As for tax issues, get an accountant to review your personal tax situation. Also talk to your insurance agent about coverage of renter.

I certainly would not trust something as expensive as an RV to a free contract that I coppied from the INTERNET?

There are a lot of important issues to cover and all we are doing istooffer advice based on our expewriences.

Bottom line is that I would never rent out my RV? There are too many idiots out there that wouldw not care for it as I do.

Ken
Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
The OP asked where to get a rental agreement form, and specifically asked not to get all the "why I shouldn't rent" posts.
And out of 14 replies, only 2 gave him information that he asked for, the rest were what he asked NOT to get or off topic comments.

Excuse us for not trying to possible point out the pitfalls.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acm210 View Post
I rent mine out, but only for the weekend overnight lot at our local university's football games. Nobody drives it. I take it, filled with gas and water, and they tailgate for the weekend. The money allows us to afford the RV. However..... When you rent for someone to drive, commercial insurance is the starting point. There are so many nuances that I don't even know how to explain it to a first time user renter. If something goes wrong when they have it, it's areal pain in the a$$.
Interesting. do you mind if I ask how much you rent it for a weekend? Just wondering
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #21

thanks PHESPE for the info.the reason im asking there is a couple in there mid 50 with 2 teenagers flying in this summer for a family get together for a week and want to rent my motorhome.the price is $1500(for 7 days) +$200(hold) + fuel paid up front but was going to have some kind of contract.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I also think I would have an attorney draw up a contract.

Here in the US, different states have different rules and contracts like insurance have to be separately written.

Just make sure your insurance will cover someone else to drive it, and remember, insurance follows the vehicle....so his insurance will not provide coverage to YOUR vehicle.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post

I suppose we could all contain our answer to the question asked... but then most threads will be boring.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have SOLD four MH's to different people, each one has damaged the RV within one month of owning it. Steps torn off, cracked windshield (ran into house), Took out batteries reinstalled wrong, spare tire not secured properly after accessing storage compartment, drunk driver ran into the side of one, and on and on. I can't remember which forum I was on, but I've even seen where an owner leaving the fueling station tore off the rear cap. If you like your RV, leave the renting to the pro's.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #25

One other thing to consider is that the renter has the proper drivers license requirements. If your rig has a GVW of over 26,000 lbs. in TX they must have a Class B license. Also if air brakes are part of your rig, some states require an air brake endorsement as well. Just some further thoughts to consider.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
something else to consider for the contract.... WHEN the RV breaks down on the highway, either because of something stupid they did or just a mechanical issue...
1. Who pays for the tow?
2. Who pays for the repairs?
3. Who pays for the family's hotel room while they wait for the repair or worse...
4. Who pays for the replacement RV so they can continue their trip?
5. Who pays for you to go get it and bring it home?

also, even simply phone calls at 2 AM to help get the heat or AC going again..

when you rent a truck from Hertz, or U-haul , or even local companies, they will get you a replacement in just a few hours... same with a car. They have contracts and deals for maintenance on the road and support.

cheers
geo
Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #27

You be nuts to even consider such thing.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You may want to check into consigning it with a rental company. They do all the work and you get the financial benefit. I rented mine for 3 years and was pleased with the results. I found a reputable local company, not one of the big ones, with a fleet of about 15 class C and class A RVs. They took care of all the bookings, maintenance (at my request) and the occasional repairs. I paid the insurance and the bank didn't care as long as it had appropriate insurance, which by the way, is not your standard policy. Every month i got a statement and a check...unless there were no rentals.

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome