Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #1

Looking to upgrade Trailer receiver !

Hello ! Just thought I put this out there, I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler,
Admiral with the workhorse chassis. Looking to upgrade my receiver on the RV ,like to go with a heavier capacity,the one on my is 5000lbs rated . Has anyone out there upgraded with a heavier receiver!thanks jeff
Jeff Keyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #2

It may not be a case of just upgrading the hitch.

Often times, what the hitch is mounted to isn't built for more hitch capacity.

My MH has a 5000 lb hitch but the MH builder has de-rated it to 3500 lbs, due to frame extensions.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Your towing capacity is rated to what your front end is rated for i.e. my coach has a front end rating of 16,500 so I have a 15,000 lb hitch.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinOn View Post
Your towing capacity is rated to what your front end is rated for i.e. my coach has a front end rating of 16,500 so I have a 15,000 lb hitch.
What???

Your front end rating has nothing to do with your hitch rating. Hitch rating is based on chassis rating, transmission rating, rear axle capacity and so on - but not your front axle.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #5

Jeff-

Welcome, from a fellow 2008 HR Admiral owner!

According to the brochure for your coach, these values apply:

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) 22,000 pounds
GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) 26,000 pounds

If your coach was fully loaded (i.e., GVW = GVWR), then you'd be limited to towing 4,000 pounds, no matter what hitch is on the coach.

Have you had your coach weighed in loaded condition yet (preferably a four-corner weigh)?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

I highly doubt that your chassis, driveline, and brakes will allow for more capacity than what it currently has. I upgraded my 10,000# hitch to a 15,000# one, but only after Tiffin gave their approval. How heavy is your toad? If your loaded coach weighs 21,000# or less, you can tow a 5,000# toad.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
You know I think everyone should get on the same page with towing rated devices. I am not sure the way the trailer industry rates hitches and the way RV industry talks about towing rates. The trailer industry rates hitches Class I through V and they not only take into consideration the towing capacity of the vehicle towed but the tongue weight of that device. So there is a distinct difference with towing a vehicle vs towing a trailer. I am not so sure what the RV industry is referring to when they talk about the rated towing weight of a motor home, t is just the weight of the toad as there is negligible tongue weight. I pull a 24' cargo trailer weighing about 11,000 lbs. with a tongue weight of about 500 lbs. with a class IV hitch, and no equalizer. The 500 lbs tongue weight does not deflect my rear height but 1/2 in so I feel safe. I still get 7.5 to 8 mpg. It would be interesting to get some expert advice about the differences as well as are we comparing apples to apples with that rating of the trailer industry vs the RV industry. Here is a siste that explains the trailer industry's rating. https://www.reese-hitches.com/learni...towing-classes
Old 12-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #8

If you have air suspension and the rear is dropping at all, you may be overloading it. Have you checked the tongue weight ?

The ride height control should be sensing the drop and adding air to level it. It could be that the bags are at max pressure and still not supporting the weight.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #9

you guys really need to check this post. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trai...ig-181760.html
Shawn6596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6596 View Post
you guys really need to check this post. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trai...ig-181760.html
You would be surprised how many of those pictured are out of compliance with safe operating practices for towing a trailer. I used to tow a 12,000# trailer with 1500# of tongue weight. I replaced a 10,000# hitch with a 15,000# one to safely carry 12.5 % of the load on the hitch. 10-15% is the safe recommended weight. Someone just posted he feels safe with less than 5% of the load on his hitch. I've also seen some on the road with the back of the coach sagging from the overloaded hitch. Both could be an accident waiting to happen.

Edit: The towing capacity of a motorhome normally is dealing with the total weight of the trailer or toad. The hitch will determine how much tongue weight is allowed. Often it is 10% of the rated towing capacity.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As recommended by someone, I took my 2004 W22 in to a dealership in Ft Lauderdale, FL that specialized in supplying medium trucks for landscaping and inter-city delivery. They also had a section in their shop for building custom trailer hitches from scratch! They also had custom made 3' to 6' sections of frame rails that where slightly smaller that could fit inside the chassis frame rails. This way they could fully mig weld the two together. So they were able to extend my W22 frame rails out to the end of the rear cap. They then mig welded a 6"X6"X1/4" thick box between the rails. They then made a square 2"x2" hole in the center of the box to weld in the receiver at both ends. They then installed a 1"X3/16" reinforcement band on the end of the receiver. They rated the hitch at 18,000#s. OK, yes I know I am way over GVWR as my race car trailer weights 9600#s, however since I had it installed in 2008 I have had nada, net, zero problems! Total cost was $550 parts, material, and labor.
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebw31 View Post
As recommended by someone, I took my 2004 W22 in to a dealership in Ft Lauderdale, FL that specialized in supplying medium trucks for landscaping and inter-city delivery. They also had a section in their shop for building custom trailer hitches from scratch! They also had custom made 3' to 6' sections of frame rails that where slightly smaller that could fit inside the chassis frame rails. This way they could fully mig weld the two together. So they were able to extend my W22 frame rails out to the end of the rear cap. They then mig welded a 6"X6"X1/4" thick box between the rails. They then made a square 2"x2" hole in the center of the box to weld in the receiver at both ends. They then installed a 1"X3/16" reinforcement band on the end of the receiver. They rated the hitch at 18,000#s. OK, yes I know I am way over GVWR as my race car trailer weights 9600#s, however since I had it installed in 2008 I have had nada, net, zero problems! Total cost was $550 parts, material, and labor.
Congrats to you. You upgraded the right way. Many just slap on a bigger hitch and hit the road. You may still be above GCWR the manufacturer established, but you are structurally sound and with good driving techniques, you have shown how to increase the utility of your motorhome. Some priceless toys too.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
What???

Your front end rating has nothing to do with your hitch rating. Hitch rating is based on chassis rating, transmission rating, rear axle capacity and so on - but not your front axle.

really, I didn't know that.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebw31 View Post
Similarly, I went to a truck/trailer shop in Delanco NJ and they re-fabricated my factory installed hitch rated at 5K, (a 5K load should have 500# on the ball for safe travel). I needed a hitch for 10K trailer and 900# on the ball. They added a 2.5"x 3" box tube to the top of the cross rail welded in place. then a fabricated a new receiver tube long enough to be welded to the rear motor mount and the base of the cross frame. This is gusted in all areas for torque and twist.

The shop owner said he felt very comfortable that the modification was good enough for even 15K and a 1500 ball but I will never need that. When I had contacted FL they said the mfg only put on a 5K for liability but the engine and frame is good for more. I have a Reeze equalizer hitch. I know- it is not needed but I feel the difference with and without. Much more control with - believe me. I have been pulling trailers for over 40 years (boat, utility etc) and the equalizer help to distribute the load especially to the front axle. I do run the rear tires at 110# air and front at 95#. All tire temperatures run within 10 degrees of each other. Always check your tire temp in more than one location on each tire. I check the outer tread and compare to the middle tread. excessive variation will indicate improper inflation.

With over 15K miles up and down rt 95 on this modification I feel it was more than OK regardless of the mfg statements.

Tags
trailer, upgrade