Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #15

I will be leaving east Texas around 1:00 be home around 5:00 reason I ask you can adjust up an down play on the bell cranks but not side to side GM specs. On side play is .002 inches so if you see any play it's wore the drivers side wears faster you will pay about $400 a side you can get the bushings for both sides for $120 but will need a machine shop to bore to size
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #16

In a case like this, you could (probably) have slack (wear) in several places. Just don't try to take all the free play out by adjusting the steering box. I know the Henderson bell cranks are pricey, you might be able to find replacement parts that would last another many years for less cost. That said, if you plan on keeping the MH a long time and putting bunches of miles on it, you'd be farther ahead spending the $$ for upgraded parts. In our case right now, $500+ (yes, check) for one bell crank is just not in our budget, so if needed I'll get stock replacement parts, and go from there... My one cent worth....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #17

Got home Internet is Down in on I phone I have it let me try again
Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #18

http://www.offroadtoybox.com/RV/P-Ch...entProcess.pdf
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #19

check
your pm if needed il give phone
Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #20

One thing you should know about ball joints is that they are not tested the same. It is important to study the manufacturer's specific directions on how to test them. Some allow up to 1/8 play, some allow none. Some want the ball joints loaded (wheel on the ground) some want it unloaded. Some want you to grasp the wheel top and bottom and rock it in and out, some want you to use a pry bar. Don't relay on alignment shop to know, you will find them remarkably uninformed on the issue. I remember I had several GM cars where the wear on the rear ball joint was indicated by the position of the grease fitting. If you jacked the rear of the car and wiggled the wheel and watched the ball joint it would move a good bit. The alignment shops always wanted to replace them. I finally photocopied the page from the shop manual to show they were wrong. Then they would believe me. So verify the correct procedure for checking ball joints and how much play, if any is allowed.
Michael
Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #21

do not adjust the steering gear until checking all frt end components for looseness

steering gear should always be the LAST of any adjustments, after all loose components are replaced.