Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

Lopsided 36 ft 2015 Vacationer 36B

I took delivery on my Vacationer the 5th of July. The 12 of July we took it on a local trip. As I was getting ready to come home I noticed that the passenger side front was lower than the left. I measured both and the right side was 2 inches lower than the left. The 22nd of July I took it in for maintenance. There were 15 problems, some minor, some not.
On the 31st I called to check on the progress. They had addresses most, but had not looked at the right lean. My contact was off till the 4th. Today I called and was told the whole right side was lower, and that it was not a suspension problem. The had contacted the manufacturer for suggestions. Somewhere the idea of shims came up.
I am not keen on that idea. It seems a 2 inch shim will torque the floor. Where it is attached on the left side. Besides it seems this is beyond the normal expertise of a RV maintenance shop.
Anybody got some wisdom to share?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Have you had a 4 corner weight done? You could empty all your personal belongings and have the RV weighed. That would show if it was built with more weight in the low corner. If it was, that's a manufacturer's issue. If it's not, that points to a chassis manufacturer's problem. I understand your reluctance to just use shims to make it level, it could hide the weight imbalance and create handling issues.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

That is what the dealer decided to do. They say the coach is mounted properly. They suspect a bad leaf spring. I guess I should ask for the old springs if they say they are bad.
I wonder how much the corner weight changes based on whether the slides are in or out. I'm gonna ask them for both weights.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstanly1 View Post
That is what the dealer decided to do. They say the coach is mounted properly. They suspect a bad leaf spring. I guess I should ask for the old springs if they say they are bad.
I wonder how much the corner weight changes based on whether the slides are in or out. I'm gonna ask them for both weights.
But you don't drive with the slides out, so that is not really relevant.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My gut reaction was a weak leaf spring, but it didn't sound logical on a new unit. Older, used rig? Sure. I guess anything can happen, though.

Shims are useful and appropriate for minor corrections. 2" isn't a minor correction. At 2" it stops being a shim and becomes a spacer, and a chassis that requires a 2" spacer needs something else fixed, not just filled in with scrap chunks steel stuck in it here and there.

Keep pushing until they make it right, and don't let any of them off the hook until it's done.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also have a 2015 Vacationer that leans 2"-3" toward the passenger side. I have a service appt. Aug. 24th to have it and a host of other issues resolved. A review of other threads on this site also recommend shimming, but I would much prefer to have it fixed correctly....whatever that is.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #7

Update on leaning Vacationer

The dealer had the rv weighed. It came out 400# heavy on the right side. So the weight doesn't seem to be an issue. The coach measured out as square on the frame. Holiday Rambler thinks it is a leaf spring problem, so it is a Ford warranty issue. They are taking it in to the local Ford shop next Tuesday, the 18th . They are talking about changing out the springs for heavy duty springs.
I suppose that may take care of the lean, but will it be at the cost of a smooth ride?
Stay tuned.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
If the springs were properly sized for the weight of the RV, there should be no reason to increase to 'heavy duty' springs. If the original spring was imperfect, replacing it with a good one of the original rating should do the trick without increasing ride harshness.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsrs View Post
I also have a 2015 Vacationer that leans 2"-3" toward the passenger side. I have a service appt. Aug. 24th to have it and a host of other issues resolved. A review of other threads on this site also recommend shimming, but I would much prefer to have it fixed correctly....whatever that is.
I look forward to hearing what they tell you.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #10

I bought a 30 ft 2006 Hurricane in May. after we bought it we noticed that it leaned to the right, toward the passenger side. After much research on this site and others I called for an appointment at a shop that worked on class A's. They recommended a spring shop that was nearby. I took it there and they said the lean was a common problem. They installed another leaf on the right rear and the lean was fixed. It cost $210. You have a new coach so it should have warranty. Good luck!
oilman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #11

I'm wondering how your axle/corner weights look when compared to axle ratings, as well as CCC weight capacity. In other words, is this coach working at maximum rated capacity?

If not, I think an extra leaf would ace a shim/spacer any day.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #12

Check for warranty repairs on your Vacationer

[QUOTE=drstanly1;2705186]I look forward to hearing what they tell you.
You should go to your local Ford dealer and ask them to run your vin for any warranty work that Ford did.
I had them run mine and found out that my RV had a right front wheel assembly failure. The failure occurred while the RV was being driven from Indiana to Oregon for final assembly. It happened before my dealer took possesion. It was repaired in Boise ID. There is no record of how far it was driven with the failed assembly, but it was driven far enough to destroy the tire and wheel bearings, caliper and rotor were destroyed and they had to cut the king pin out.
I'm not sure this has anything to do with my lean, but it could have weakened the leaf spring.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem with my old (2002 Dolphin) I took it to a spring shop and they added a leaf also and that fixed it.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstanly1 View Post
I look forward to hearing what they tell you.
Have you heard from the maintenance shop yet?
I called Ford and they gave me the weight distribution guidelines for this chassis. They say the weight of the house should be 35 to 40% to the front and centered on the chassis. My weights did not meet any of the guidelines. The Ford rep was pretty sure that this is a Holiday Rambler problem.

Tags
cat