Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Class As are amazing machines. And the USA is an amazing place that so many people can buy and operate them. Think about it - in what other country can so many people buy one?

Is it for me? No. They just never made sense for me.

They are a large depreciating investment.

High maintenance costs

High operating costs

Need a vehicle once you are at a location.

If I were ever to go to something that large it would be a 5th wheel and pick up.

Dexter , I'm not really sure what that has to do with this topic . But ok.
I personally wouldn't be opposed to a 5th wheel , however wife has no desire to drive a full sized truck as a daily driver. Not to mention the cost of that truck vs the cost of the car .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
dexters - all your points are valid. Here's the thing - hopefully we'll get 10 more years of being mobile. That means we're gonna SKI (Spend Kids Inheritance) as long as we continue to enjoy. We can spend our money doing lots of stuff or we can sit home saving all those funds. We've established a smaller fund for each of our grandchildren (17 of them) and we don't live extravagantly. Even our coach is gasser - very comfortable but not over the top fancy.

So spend we will and enjoy ever minute of the time.
I definitely agree. When you get to a certain age, you should do what makes you happy and enjoy.

I just sold my Casita and will be moving up (hard to move down from a Casita) to a Creekside 21RBS and a Ram 2500. I also plan to go full timing.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
This is timely, we just had a call from our dealer, the MH is in for inspection.... brakes, rotors, muffler.....and a few other things, we're at abut $4K, sigh. But as much as I hate it....I know the next time we head out in it we will forget all about it! Kind of like the pain of childbirth disappearing as soon as you see that tiny human.
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #46
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Our last camp out was about 1.5 months ago @ Lake of the Ozarks StAte Park.
The entire weekend was just crap , Everytime id turn around there was something else to fix . One thing after another.
The icing on the cake was a blowout on the way home .
The blowout really only caused about 300.00 or so in damages , & I need to get new tires .
I really don't have any desire to spend the money or time fixing it . Hopefully I'll get out of the funk .

I think we all get a little down at times when things seem to be going wrong all around us! Just remember all the good times and try not to let it get you down!

I have a saying that I use in instances like that. FIDO it (forget it and drive on)

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
stepside - and this to shall pass, I hope. Not sure you intended to stir this sort of discussion but thank you. It gives us vagabonds a point in time to reflect.

As we love to say "remember, the destination is the journey".

And oh yes, I don't think the FIDO definition is quite what I remember learning in 22 years in the US Army. But close enough.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Why we now RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
First trip in our new to us Magna cost us over $22,000 in engine repairs and hundreds since fixing what Cummins broke!
Almost totally ruined it for the DW, but then came the diagnosis of liver cancer. We will get out for the 4th and hopefully a trip to CA to visit a friend there before we start waiting for a call to come in for a transplant.
Be glad you have your health!
We just bought our first MH used but paid cash so we could afford to deal with problems when they arise. I am set to turn 53 next month. I lost my sister 3 years ago after a short 2 year battle with cancer...she was 53. The DW convinced me (wasn't hard) that we are never guaranteed tomorrow. Our prayers to Mr-D & your DW for a transplant call and a renewal on life with many years to come.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Getting through all repairs is part of the experience and fun
Mr-D has spoke on what is really important Our prayers are with you and your wife Mr-D

Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
stepside - and this to shall pass, I hope. Not sure you intended to stir this sort of discussion but thank you. It gives us vagabonds a point in time to reflect.

As we love to say "remember, the destination is the journey".

And oh yes, I don't think the FIDO definition is quite what I remember learning in 22 years in the US Army. But close enough.

I appreciate the thoughts , except the whole 5th wheel vs motorhome comments that make no sense here .
Old 06-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #51

I think we all hit a wall at some point and say, "That's it, I'm done" I was there when we pulled into a campground at night and almost ran over a picnic table when we were parking. Dh yelled at me for guiding him wrong, I yelled at him for not skimming and scanning. Soon after that it turned into, "I'm not doing this anymore."

Three years and several hundred dollars in damages have passed. We have learned to shrug our shoulders, shake off the issues, and motor on. We've resigned ourselves to the fact that there will always be something that happens.

I hope you have clear days and smoother roads ahead.
TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #52

Almost at the point of agreeing, more time ,money and effort than worth the time and effort from the experience , seems to be something needing fixing or I can see it coming and not being full time I think it may own me instead of me owning it for pleasure , Not what I was expecting , thought if I had it paid for before retiring it would be fun ??? Maybe my explanation of fun is wrong ??? A heavy truck with a home attached has Many things to age and fail ,today a simple 1/4 -20 bolt fell out of a slide motor, lucky I could diagnose and repair,very complex and involved machines not just drive and sleep ....
Old 06-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
I appreciate the thoughts , except the whole 5th wheel vs motorhome comments that make no sense here .
Any negative comments about RVing, including the expression of your personal feelings, are not well tolerated on this forum. When you started a thread about losing interest...you were probably just looking for sympathy, or to get the frustration off your chest, but in reality you were only asking for trouble. Evidently it didn't make you feel any better either when somebody stated they only buy new motorhomes (?) so they don't get stressed out. [moderator edit]
Old 06-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #54

You should own a boat for a few years to appreciate the minimal problems of a motor home. I had the same conversation with myself on the way home from the lake a long time ago.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #55

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
You should own a boat for a few years to appreciate the minimal problems of a motor home. I had the same conversation with myself on the way home from the lake a long time ago.
Did that, sold the boat, boat well, boat house, dock space, gave up the yacht club membership some 30+ years ago. Don't miss having to go down in the middle of a snow storm to break the ice out from around the boat, break the ice off the boathouse roof, fix the leaking sump pump etc!!
Would much prefer to see the US rather than up and down The Columbia River!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
We had a trip like that a few years back. We had a travel trailer at the time. Three week trip out west to see the sights and visit family. That was the summer diesel fuel was averaging $4.50, it was a planned 3500 mile trip. On the way out I had two flats on the trailer and by the time we pulled up to the families house about 4 feet of aluminum siding was hanging off the trailer....sigh. Fixed that. On the way home around Omaha we ran into some really rough weather. It had rained most of the day anyway. Along come a gust and blew the awning over the top of the trailer. Yikes! So, there I was standing on the top of a ladder trying to get the awning in the right side of the trailer without getting blown into traffic. Got that secured and finally made to a camp site, only to find the rain had leaked in a window and had soaked the bed and floor.

There are times when it is too much work to have fun.

So we gave the trailer to the kids for a stationary spot........and bought a ten year old Dynasty.

Best Wishes and see you on the road!

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote