Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
I think it may own me instead of me owning it for pleasure , Not what I was expecting....
My GF always says... "The more you own, the more it owns you"...

I am fortunate to realize this... I have two passions... I like to RV and I like to ride... I am very blessed my two passions blend so well together.. We thoroughly enjoy getting out of our "work" bubble and escape to another world in our RV...

I don't know about you guys.. but for us... it seems the moment we put the RV in drive, we're "on vacation" and all the worries, concerns and drama of our lives seem to wash away.. it's very much like when we get on the bike and take a ride.. everything just disappears and we get a sense of freedom that is unexplainable...

To the OP... I hope your troubles pass... and I wish you many miles and smiles !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #58

Well we are not loosing interest. Five years ago we were in Hawaii and the last night of our stay we went on a short dinner cruise. About fifteen minutes before we docked my wife had a brain aneurism. Doctors thought she was going to be nursing home material. Some of the top 25 doctors for brain injuries are in Hawaii. She was in intensive care for almost a month. By some miracle she walked out of the hospital and has suffered only minor memory loss but we certainly can't complain about the out come. All our working life we never took a long vacation as I was self employed and could not be away for long periods. In my mind, I was always a save for the future person. Well that's fine but you don't know when the grim reaper is coming for you.
Two years after her aneurism we bought our Class A. We are both 60 this year and we are planning a 10 month trip this November. Key West this Christmas for a month.
Start enjoying things when you can. I've seen so many people work all their life and by the time they feel they can retire they don't feel well enough to do anything. You can't take it with you anyway and I feel we have given the kids a good start on things.
Get out and enjoy life it's the only one you get!

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
It does not matter what you do but you should go out and do something. Whether it be RV, boating, skiing, golfing, gardening, etc keep yourself active.

Some things will cost more than others but everything will cost either money, time or effort. In most cases a combination of all three.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
We were considering buying a motorhome but decided on a diesel pickup and 5th wheel instead. Part of the reason was the fact that I knew I could maintain and repair most of the things on a diesel pickup and a 5th wheel trailer but I don't have the resources-expertise and $$$$- to do a lot of those things on a big MH and the thought of a major breakdown scared me away. So far in 6 years, I haven't regretted my decision. maybe it's time to rethink your RV choices...

I do admire a guy who do ALL or most of his own work or on his MH or 5th wheel, toad or pull truck, however should one of those decisions in the process be that you want to go full time, most parks won't even let you change the oil on your Mini Cooper much less let you do the complete, yearly required maintenance on a Freightlinner chassis and perhaps at some point, age may make it more prohibitive to do a lot of that long before your ready to stop driving.

S__t happens, Memorial Day weekend we hitched up our brand new Subaru Forester to our brand new 36 foot diesel pusher and after checking everything as best we could to include a sharp left turn in the parking lot to make sure all the wheels on our toad were turning freely....not more than 10 miles later I was flaged by a passing motorist who said the car was on fire....it some how found first gear though I know it was in neutral because I pushed it into place where I could hook up the tow bar.....long story short, I destroyed the engine and drive train....a month later we have a brand new GMC Terrain and are back on the road....to steal an advertising slogan Just Do It.....no regrets!!!

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
$300 bucks for a blow out that's like winning the lottery, people have died, totaled out there rig, me personally was $8,000. Crap breaks and tires age out it happens. Grab a beer and just be happy you lived another day.

Kodos to RV world of Georgia my $8,000 repair lasted 3 camp outs i still have interest just a little angry right now .
Old 06-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #62

You might be losing interest now, but if it is due to a rash of repairs, you have to ask yourself what you used to like about it. Maybe you still do, but have gotten side tracked with unexpected expense. You say the wife still likes it, so maybe you do too, but have forgotten why. At 73, we both love rock crawling with our modified jeep on the most challenging trails we can find. Our motorhome gets us there and our son & wife join us with their rigs. We've met many others with the same interest and enjoy every minute of it. Sometimes on a steep waterfall it scares the cr** out of me but the adrenalin rush still feels good. Whatever your interests are, find other MH owners with the same interests and start doing the things you like. Meet new people and try new challenges. Soon the things you dislike won't seem so important. Life is good if you live each day as if it were the last. Some day it will be.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
Well we are not loosing interest. Five years ago we were in Hawaii and the last night of our stay we went on a short dinner cruise. About fifteen minutes before we docked my wife had a brain aneurism. Doctors thought she was going to be nursing home material. Some of the top 25 doctors for brain injuries are in Hawaii. She was in intensive care for almost a month. By some miracle she walked out of the hospital and has suffered only minor memory loss but we certainly can't complain about the out come. All our working life we never took a long vacation as I was self employed and could not be away for long periods. In my mind, I was always a save for the future person. Well that's fine but you don't know when the grim reaper is coming for you.
Two years after her aneurism we bought our Class A. We are both 60 this year and we are planning a 10 month trip this November. Key West this Christmas for a month.
Start enjoying things when you can. I've seen so many people work all their life and by the time they feel they can retire they don't feel well enough to do anything. You can't take it with you anyway and I feel we have given the kids a good start on things.
Get out and enjoy life it's the only one you get!

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One

Very well said. My thinking totally. I turn 50 next year and I too am self-employed and have a heck of a time taking any trip longer than a week. But I don't want to wait until I finally have enough money to retire and hope my body is still in good shape. Longer trips and perhaps even full-timing is in our future sooner than later!
Old 06-25-2016, 12:13 AM   #64

Turned out to be a great thread! DW is 42 and i am 36. We just got in to the MH world last November and have already made two 4,000 mile trips to Utah and California in our 97 tradewinds. First trip was delayed a week for turbo replacement, and second trip was full of repairs including a flat, and inverter issues! We may be new at this, but we take the problems lightly and enjoy every minute of it! I try to fix everything myself although i would like not to have to fix something on every trip, but we gotta make up for previous owner lack of maintenance. I feel the repairs are part of the experience and teach me how the whole thing functions!

We always discuss whether we should be saving for retirement, but we always get back to " what if retirement never comes" what then?! We will put away what we can for retirement, but like many have said, we want to enjoy life while we can. DWs cousin suffered aneurism last month and died at 37! I wish all the best and safe travels. I would rather have to fix a bunch of things on a trip, enjoy the journey and the destination and spend money i "shouldnt" be than save it, not do anything, and maybe have enough money at retirement to enjoy it. Maybe my perspective will change....
ama009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:16 AM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
First trip in our new to us Magna cost us over $22,000 in engine repairs and hundreds since fixing what Cummins broke!
Almost totally ruined it for the DW, but then came the diagnosis of liver cancer. We will get out for the 4th and hopefully a trip to CA to visit a friend there before we start waiting for a call to come in for a transplant.
Be glad you have your health!
I was diagnosed with bladder cancer a few years ago. After two surgeries, some chemo and a few repairs to the motorhome we were traveling again. May the Lord bless you with a transplant and a speedy recovery. I didn't really start feeling better until we were able to travel as before. Life on the road is therapy for the soul to me. Last year was 3 months and 8200 miles, here shortly it'll be 6 weeks and I'm not sure of the total distance yet, but Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore are just for starters. No one ever told me owning a class A motorhome was going to be easy on the wallet, but then owning a home isn't either. Our Fleetwood is like a small mobile apartment. I'm in the process of repairing a few odds and ends before we take off this summer. We'll come home to take care of items around the house then leave for another month or so before returning. The Mrs wants to play snowbirds this winter so we get our use out of the Class A.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:57 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Kodos to RV world of Georgia my $8,000 repair lasted 3 camp outs i still have interest just a little angry right now .

Problem solve everything great.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #67

Attitude ajustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
First trip in our new to us Magna cost us over $22,000 in engine repairs and hundreds since fixing what Cummins broke!
Almost totally ruined it for the DW, but then came the diagnosis of liver cancer. We will get out for the 4th and hopefully a trip to CA to visit a friend there before we start waiting for a call to come in for a transplant.
Be glad you have your health!
Your post makes me feel guilty for complaining about the minor stuff I complain about. The cancer diagnosis seems to not have dampened your spirits much at all and here's wishing you the best outcome.
beboboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #68

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mr_D blessings to our fellow vagabonds.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #69

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been lurking on this thread for awhile, thought about replying, but haven't until now. So here goes:

I am 75 years old. I had paralytic polio when I was 11. My severe muscular weakness didn't stop me from getting married, pursuing an education and having a career. Sure, it's been and continues to be a struggle. I had to retire when I was 55 because of deteriorating muscle strength and in 2004 had double pneumonia, which gifted me with a permanent tracheotomy and complete inability to walk or perform basic daily life functions. Without my wife of 39 years, I would be dead or at least a nursing home vegetable. We and a bank own a handicapped accessible motorhome (brand identified in signature), without which we (I) would be stuck in our B&S home, as motels won't work for us (me). She does it ALL, driving, setting up, dumping, cooking, taking care of me, our scottie and herself. I am mostly ballast! We have gone and seen many things in this beautiful country and will continue to do so as resources permit.

Yes, we occasionally have issues with our motorhome, but try to look upon them as OPPORTUNITIES.

So, be thankful for what you have and can do and don't forget this: YOU DO NOT GET ANOTHER CHANCE AT LIFE!

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
and this to shall pass
You had to remind me, didn't you? Takes a solid week to get the tune out of the head...

dphaynes is offline   Reply With Quote