Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
loss of water pressure

Hi folks,
I am wondering if anyone has experienced this problem, or has some thots on a possible cause/solution.

On my new to me diplomat dst, when I drain the house water system I don't have water pressure in either hot or cold in the galley, I have good cold water flow in midship bath, but little hot water pressure. The rear bath has great hot and cold water pressure in both the sink and tub.

changing to city water or pump has no effect. I have replaced the pump and have good pressure. I have also blown out the lines from each faucet (except outside shower and tub) and I can hear air flow from faucets and the next point of disconnect.

I suspect there has to be some sort of airlock someplace, but be darned if I know how to find and resolve it..

Thanks for any input,
Fro

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm confused about what you're doing. You say, "when I drain the house water system I don't have water pressure in either hot or cold in the galley" If you're draining the system, you wouldn't have pressure in the system. Normally to drain the water system, you disconnect city water, turn off the pump, and open the low point drains. Then open each and every hot and cold faucet inside and out. Gravity will draw the water out. You can also remove the drain plug from the water heater. Make sure winterizing valves are set correctly, they should only be put in winterize position(s) if you're planning to pump RV anti-freeze into the lines.

Low water flow could be from an old water filter or strainer. Also folks have had issues by having the outside shower turned off at the shower head but the hot and cold valves are opened, allowing water to cross from cold to hot systems.

To blow air through the system, I put an adaptor on the city water hose and pressurize the system to about 40 psi. I then go inside and open one faucet until air only escapes, then close it and move to the next faucet.

You also surprised me, "except outside shower and tub " You have an OUTSIDE tub?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To me it sounds like junk in the line. Have you checked the screens on the end of the spout on each kitchen or vanity faucet? If you find stuff in them, then it's probably also plugging up your shower heads and such.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
sorry to confuse.. this is my first rv and have only had it a year.

THis problem occurs when I drain the entire system and then refill. It happened when I winterized, and again when I drained to sanitize because of some nastiness in the waterlines. The rear bath (sink and tub), the outside shower have good hot/cold flow, and COLD water in mid ship bath have good flow. The hot water in midship bath and both hot and cold in galley are trickles.. After some time the flow improves, but has never equalized pressure with the other faucets or setting.

I have disconnected all faucets and blown the lines clear from the galley to the hot water heater and also up through each faucet. There is no obstruction, and sounds clear. The baths have fountain style faucets, and cold water flows great, I have disassembled the head on the galley faucet several times and the screen is like new as well as the aerator. The flow is reduced prior to it hitting the screens..

Guess I will disassemble the faucets and replace the cartridges.. I suppose it is possible some entrapped viscous crap could allow air to pass but restrict water flow. If one replaces enough parts, eventually the problem will be solved..
Old 07-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Check your winterizing valves. Some have 3 shut offs installed, other systems only have one valve and two check valves. Does your RV water system have a water distribution manifold? It could be one or more valves not in the full open position.

When I sanitize my water system, I drain the water tank and don't worry about the lines. I then add the proper bleach solution, fill the tank and pump it to each hot and cold faucet. Let it sit overnight, then drain water tank, fill, and run water until bleach odor is gone.

For winterizing I've pumped RV anti-freeze into lines, and also done it with air pressure to blow lines out. In the first, I again don't worry about draining all lines, just pump anti-freeze until I see pink at the faucet. With the air, I let it blow air out the faucet for an hour or more until I'm pretty sure all major water accumulations are gone.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That's a strange combination of problems and I'm almost inclined to think you may have collapsed lines at some point that feeds the problem faucets. I say "almost" because it is a pretty rare thing and doesn't usually happen overnight either. I don't see how a bypass valve or the water heater check valve could cause that combination of problems, especially since one of the lines is cold only. If no water was flowing through the heater (or its bypass), you would have no hot faucet flow anywhere.

Here is a possibility: Sometimes if a temperature mixing faucet (any single spout faucet) is left open, you can get very weird results as the hot & cold back feed into each other when a another faucet is turned on. A common example of this is an outside shower or sprayer that is turned off at the head but the water valve remains on. That enables a cross-flow between hot and cold and the pressure fluctuates. Please check to make sure all faucets of that type are turned off.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #7

I'm with RVroamer...interesting symptoms. You might try manually opening the hot water overheat relief valve and letting out air until all the air is purged.

I agree with you that is sounds like an air blockage since this is only happening after you have drained the system.

As I think about it, in addition to the hot water tank, you might just try varying your refill procedures. Drain, and then refill again only this time change up how you fill. Are you filling through a valve hooked up to city water, or are you using a hose and filling from the hose into the tank? If you are using the valve, maybe try a hose and fill the tank manually? Maybe, before you fill, hook up to city water and run water through all the outlets, hot and cold (doesn't matter if the heater has heated the water)....what kind of pressure do you get? Maybe keep running the city water until all the faucets are working normal...then fill up the coach water tank?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
Hmm, I think I got it.

Yesterday, I put the water issue on hold and decided to pull the accumulator tank because I have been having issues with the macerating toilet in the masterbath. It just wasn't flushing well. I found the tank was full of water, but there was no water coming out of the Schrader valve. The tank held pressure overnight so I reinstalled it but got to thinking about the stuff in the tank, it looked familiar..

Looking closer at the one way valve I almost heaved. It looks like it failed and I have been sucking air and other goodies into the watersystem from the toilet. I put in a shiney new valve and the toilet flushes better than ever, AND I have equal flow from all faucets in the coach.. Whodathunk?

The system is getting shocked/ and sanitized. I will drain and refill tomorrow and hopefully it will stay fixed! YAY
Old 07-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
An accumulator tank generally has a rubber membrane between the water and the air side. If you have water or anything going in the Schrader valve, perhaps the membrane has broken, meaning the tank needs replacing. Remove the valve and turn on the pump. If anything but air comes out the stem, replace the accumulator tank.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-03-2016, 11:38 PM   #10
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, thought the bladder ruptured because the toilet barely flushed and the water level was always low. When I pulled it and found it was full of water, I was sure it was toast. I put 20 lbs of pressure in and it held overnight, so it must be good.. It was installed in a gawd aweful orientation under the washer and I must have inadvertently emptied the pressure when I checked it before our trip. I have reoriented it 90 degrees so I have clear access to the valve now.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
The 20 lbs of pressure could have been just exerted on the water in the system. Did you open any valves to see if the pressure went down? I'd still test by removing valve stem and turning on the water pump. If water is present at the Schrader valve, the bladder is toast.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I let the bleach dwell for a couple days,.. just to make sure no E.coli were lurking in some dark recesses of the plumbing. I drained the system and flushed the lines and tank, then refilled about half a load.

Excellent pressure in both baths and toilets using either city water or pump. Galley faucets went from working to barely a trickle from hot or cold. Cold water flowed freely at the drinking water spigot.

Problem is isolated to the kitchen faucet. Disassembled the sprayer head for about the 8th time, clean as a whistle.. pulled the cartridge and disassembled, also clean as a whistle. Unfortunately, the cartridge did not reassemble as easily as it disassembled and I spent the next 6 hours trying to find a new one, oops.

We have several large plumbing distributers, and none of them could read Chinese, go figure. One guy was pretty sure it was a price phister (sp) the brand for home depot. Of course no parts in stock at home depot, didn't know how to get them, no floor model to scavenge.. so, I bought a new kitchen faucet.

During the uninstall, I noted a union on the main hose to the spray head.. inside was a valve, perhaps anti-siphon? It was froze shut and I couldn't budge it.. I''m thinking that was were the blockage is.. Anyway, I installed the new Moen, and all is right with the world. Mama is a very happy woman, her galley faucet and toilets all work to perfection. Who could ask for anything more
Old 07-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
During the uninstall, I noted a union on the main hose to the spray head.. inside was a valve, perhaps anti-siphon? It was froze shut and I couldn't budge it.. I''m thinking that was were the blockage is.. Anyway, I installed the new Moen, and all is right with the world. Mama is a very happy woman, her galley faucet and toilets all work to perfection. Who could ask for anything more
I gave up long ago using kitchen faucets with pull-out spray heads in my coach. Just can't keep them unplugged. Seems like every little thing causes havoc. That faucet should probably have its own filter. Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with the 2-handle high-arc faucets.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
That faucet should probably have its own filter.
Excellent idea, it wouldn't be hard to put a couple in line particulate filters in. I need to replumb the rats nest of piping to make room for my pots and pans so when I plan that out I will make space for filters. Those faucets are spendy!

Tags
water, water pressure