Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lost 110v to Some Outlets

2009 Safari Cheetah

Connected to 50 AMP service.

Had 2 spacer heaters running, lost power, reset CB2 on Magnum ME2012 inverter. Moved one of the space heaters to another outlet (hoped for different circuit) CB2 tripped again. unplugged both heaters reset CB2, it clicked but no power.

PI HW50C indicates Line 1 121 volts 0 amp, Line 2 117 volts 16, 60 hertz, Error Code )

Pulled the cover on the breaker panel, everything checks ok, all terminals tight and breakers seated. Have not pulled the cover on the inverter to check AC connections yet, too cold to hang outside that long tonight.

Have 110 v power to; microwave, fireplace, washer/dryer, hot water heater and refer.

All other outlets dead.

The one and only GFI outlet is not tripped.

Just S and G I even reset the breaker on the generator. Ran the generator, same results as shore power.

Performed the inverter reset procedure as outline in the Magnum manual, no joy.

What do I check/try next?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
My buddy had blown one of the fuses on the invertor and half of the wall switches didn't work. The micro wave worked but not the entertainment unit. I'm betting on the fuses on the invertor.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
My buddy had blown one of the fuses on the invertor and half of the wall switches didn't work. The micro wave worked but not the entertainment unit. I'm betting on the fuses on the invertor.
Sounds like what I am experiencing. Microwave works, TV doesn't.

As I read the Magnum Inverter manual, I don't see any reference to fuses. It has 2 output breakers and one input breaker. I'll crawl around and check for a fuse tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The inverters have internal fuses.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
The inverters have internal fuses.
I'll pull the cover in the morning when the sun warms up a bit. THanks for the reply.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #6

Are you sure you only have one GFI circuit. My '05 has one in bathroom and one in kitchen. I can't tell by looking at mine if they're tripped. I have to manually trip and reset them.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
Community Administrator

On pg. 47 on this manual is troubleshooting tips which refer to a fuse and on pg 15 they refer to the exact fuse.
https://rvsolarstore.com/pdf/Magnum_ME2012_Manual.pdf
Good luck

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #8

X2 on the inverter fuse
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #9

I guess I don't understand; the inverter changes 12 vdc to 110 vac but you are plugged into shore power so I am assuming your inverter should be bypassed. Is this not correct? I know my inverter is not capable of supplying enough AC to run electric heaters so I don't even try if not on shore power.

I would suspect a kicked breaker in your AC breaker box; sometimes they do not go to the full off position when tripped, they need to be reset by pushing to off then back to on.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Did you check the ground fault outlets? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Different RV and inverter but if it is any help ours is fed 110 from the main breaker panel and 110 out to another secondary breaker panel. I have had breakers go bad in both panels so they can not be reset. Both times could not get a good "click" when resetting.

We have also had GFCIs pop and discover there are lots of things wired "downstream" from them. The one in the galley actually has the outside outlet connected. When the plug for the ice maker is laying in a puddle, guess what happens.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check the table on page 47. There is a max watt number (there are 4 models listed). Athough not inverting at the time there seems to be a consensus on the forum that "flow through" watts that exceed the inverter will cause it to trip its internal breaker (or not and damage the circuit board).

Running two portable heaters and anything else may have exceeded the watts number.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Are you sure you only have one GFI circuit. My '05 has one in bathroom and one in kitchen. I can't tell by looking at mine if they're tripped. I have to manually trip and reset them.
I even pulled the TV out of the cabinet to see if there was a GFI there.

THought for sure there would be a second in the basement but it was a regular outlet.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
I guess I don't understand; the inverter changes 12 vdc to 110 vac but you are plugged into shore power so I am assuming your inverter should be bypassed. Is this not correct? I know my inverter is not capable of supplying enough AC to run electric heaters so I don't even try if not on shore power.

I would suspect a kicked breaker in your AC breaker box; sometimes they do not go to the full off position when tripped, they need to be reset by pushing to off then back to on.

Mike
I am on shore power, but AC passes through the inverter. THe use of the 2 heaters tripped the circuit breaker on the inverter. THe first time I reset it power came back. I then moved one of the heaters to a different outlet hoping it would be a different circuit. THe same inverter breaker tripped again, this time when I reset the power did not come back.