Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #1

Lots of things not working after "pop"

Ok, first we had battery issues and my husband took out the battery and cleaned all the connectons, started the motorhome (06 Wind Sport) and it ran great. Yesterday he was going to level it up and something popped and everything quit, no 12v service to anything. No headlights, no seat adjustments, nothing. He checked the fuses under the dash and they seem to all be fine. The salesman switch will not switch on or off just stays in the middle with no green light on. So help, any suggestions would be great.
footballgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #2

Start looking at the battery and how he connected them.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes that would be a good suggestion to be sure the battery terminals are correct along with any additional harness. There should be a fuse box located in your battery compartment. Generally it is covered with a lid. Here you will find labeled, hopefully, many additional fuses for the coach. In addition on our coach there is a thirty amp push button fuse that controls the AC side of th house. Good luck keep us posted.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

Apples to peanuts the "salesman switch" (which is a battery disconnect) has failed. It was probably undersize or junk from the get-go. Have someone get around to the back side of it and put on a jumper or just put both wires on the same post.
But, yes, let us know what happened.

Matt
Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
YC1

Hearing a pop sounds like a battery may have exploded. If it did you need to get some water and baking soda any place the fluids may have gone. Cleaning up batteries before could have led to improper connections or old batteries now getting charged very hard. They could have off gassed and using something with a heavy load like a jack could easily cause a spark in the compartment if one of the connections was loose. Use safety goggles, an old apron, and rubber gloves if you find a bad battery.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies, we haven't had time to check yet because we both work full time. I will say this the next nite we noticed a light on and hubby went out to check and one of the 12v lights was on that wasn't working before. Will let you know what we find out.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #7

Update, after telling him several times to check the battery he finally did, guess what he didn't have it all connected. Geezzzzz guess its just hard to listen to a woman sometimes when it comes to mechanical things, but its fixed now.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Girl, it is time to learn how to do things yourself, because the hearing seems to go out when it comes to checking on something the wife suggests. Also, we ALWAYS take a picture of the battery hookups BEFORE removing them, then use the photo to check and make sure everything is hooked up correctly again.

Good luck - there is a learning curve with these things.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Glad everything worked ok. Sometimes careless errors punch a hole in ones wallet!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
YC1

She say something?

My wife is not mechanical but being around her father and I she absorbs way more than most folks. She comes up with the some great answers.

Sure would like to know about the pop. It could have been a minor gas explosion. Or perhaps it was the fryin pan upside his head.

Men, we don't need no stinkin instructions.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #11

I'm mechanical, I grew up with 3 brothers and have my own tools, also I try and look for all options. It just kills him when I tell him to check something or tell him how I would do it differently (and a lot simpler) and I'm right. Keep telling him I'm always right, married him didn't I I'm also a leftie so he just shakes his head at some of my suggestions. Maybe him being a retired middle school teacher has somethig to do with it.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #12

I'd say its also proper to investigate the problem before asking for answers.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
YC1

Tell him, "thems than can, do". Thems that can't teach!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #14

First thing I told him to do was check the battery and the fuses, we never did find out what the "pop" was but everything is working good. So glad that I can come on here and ask when we have a problem and get some remedies. I check this site often even if I don't log in, love the site.