Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Loud Bang Right Side

I have a 2008 Fleetwood Southward V2, gas. When I start off on a new trip after a couple of weeks of sitting in one spot I get a very loud bang noise, one time only per trip. The first time I heard it I thought I blew a tire or somebody had thrown a rock at the side of the motorhome. Not. It only does it one time per trip in about the first mile of travel. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side between the passenger seat and the entry door. Anybody else have this experience? Or know anything about it?
DougandNina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #2

Have you lubricated your front end? Should be done every 6 months.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check this out
If you ever get a bang under the seats check the spring mountings for plastic inserts that maybe missing, it will cause spring to rap on itself.
But why only once on A trip is weird But worth checking it out .Good Luck
Floyd
Floyd2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Doug & Nina! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't have an answer to the mystery but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #5

Do you leave your wife outside when you drive off? If so, let her in. [emoji3]
Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
May be your leveling jacks are dislodging your front spring and it pops back into place when starting out. I would check your front springs!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently had my passenger side front leveling jack replaced (Ran over a complete tire and wheel from a pickup truck in front of me that came off at 55mph.)

The new jack will occasionally give a horrendous bang when I start to do my leveling.

Haven't gotten back to the shop that replaced it yet but I suspect your noise has to do with your leveling jack.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #8

I had a Bad Pop noise on the drivers side after she sat for a while. Turned out the side wall had come loose from the frame and as soon as i would make the first turn out of the drive way it would shift and Pop very loud.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Our loud bang is coming from the entry door, still gives us a jolt after 6 months of getting used to it.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #10

My guess is either:
• the jack stand pad is getting stuck in the spring alongside it. Look for scratch or gouge marks.
• your steps are not totally in until you get underway then they pop into place into full retract mode
• loose or missing bolts in the front sway bar brackets (SB)....common problem and well documented here in Ford gas rigs. If it's the SB bolts, remove, add some blue loctite and torque to 66lbs. Check your SB bushings while you're under there too

Also if you want to do another precautionary measure:

Park your rig as normal on a level surface, set emergency brake, engine OFF, manually use your jacks to raise both front tires so they're just off the ground, then go to each tire one hand at 12 noon and one at 6 o'clock and try to rock the tire back and forth. Then do the same thing at 3 & 9 o'clock. You're checking to see if there is any play in your front bearings.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIO Dan View Post
I had a Bad Pop noise on the drivers side after she sat for a while. Turned out the side wall had come loose from the frame and as soon as i would make the first turn out of the drive way it would shift and Pop very loud.
I would like to hear more of your sidewall issue. Tks
Old 05-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

So I've checked out the leveling jacks, they are the screw type and nothing appears to be out of order. No apparent scratches or out of place springs. The steps appear to be fully withdrawn and I did stop to pick up my wife LOL. Thanks for everybodies input. Will post it if I ever fingd the problem.
DougandNina is offline   Reply With Quote