Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Loud engine, Doghouse

Hi everyone! We are in our first trip with our 06 Win Sightseer pulling our toad a 01 Ford F150.

The first trip we took the noise around the doghouse was not as loud as it is pulling the truck. We did not pull the toad the first trip.

Is there a way to quite the noise some?

TIA for any suggestions.

Shaz

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
bobandshaz......I had an 04' Fleetwood Terra with an 8.1 engine and you couldn't hear yourself think on hill climbs. I added insulation to the doghouse cover with a kit that Camping World use to sell, but haven't seen in awhile. It included the insualtion that is silver backed with what looks like dryer lint on the other side, about 1/2" thick. It included a can of 3M adhesive and silver duct tape (not the thick tape we all know, but the bright silver, thin tape, available at the big box stores in the metal ducting area).

The 3M and tape is easy to find, but the insulation is a little tougher. I found it recently at a Hot Rod parts store. Use to insulate car hoods.

I added an extar layer of insulation to the inside of the doghouse and then used the silver tape to seal the seams. The silver tape is very sticky and works well to hold the insulation together and make for a nice looking job.

I had excess insulation, so I reached under the floorboards, around the doghouse opening and added insulation. The tape worked well on the underside. I especially added some near the gas pedal. I was getting a hot foot. The added insulation kept everything cooler and cut the noise down substantially.

The whole job is pretty easy. A large pair of shears works best to cut the insualtion.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dutch Star Don,

Thank you so much for your help and information. Def something to put on DH's list of things for our rig the Desert Drifter.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
Old 09-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #4

if you want a low cost way

go to any you pull it junk yard and find a full size van or some thing with the seats all ready pulled out and pull the carpet up to see and get to the insulation / hush mat under it ... you can walk out with really big pieces of this stuff for under 20$ to free and this stuff giving what car or van its pulled form has a very high insulation / R rating and sound rating and get a can of 3M adhesive and go as nuts as you want under your own carpet and doghouses as long as your inside the RV that is
Old 09-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry735001,
Thank you for that information as well. Never thought of going to the junk yard....

Great info!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a post that the guy used Roxul (Rockwool) on his dog house, there's a picture it in post #17.
Sound insulating my doghouse

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #7

You can find this insulation you need with adhesive on it at West Marine up to 1 in thick. Great stuff. Made for boat engine cowlings.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Might want to check that the doghouse cover is fully seated forward and latched tightly. I didn't seat mine one time last year after doing some work on the engine and it moved back a bit on the next trip. Very loud. Reseated it & latched and back to normal.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #9

Most likely the loud noise your hearing is the fan with the extra weight your pulling the fan clutch is probably keeping the fan engaged more frequently and for longer periods. Insulation will help reduce the noise some but keeping that fan from coming on so often will also save some fuel. When you are driving in hills don't use cruise control try to get a little speed up coming into a hill and keep the rpms up. If you have a choice travel during a cooler part of the day if possible. I also carry a couple moving blankets they are handy to have for many uses I cover the engine cover when traveling for increased insulation.
Safe travels.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #10

Ditto on the extra sound proofing material. I have done this on our E350 and E450 cargo vans.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
Might want to check that the doghouse cover is fully seated forward and latched tightly. I didn't seat mine one time last year after doing some work on the engine and it moved back a bit on the next trip. Very loud. Reseated it & latched and back to normal.
Joemcgin,
I just checked the dog house and WOW, on the drivers side of it I can get 4 fingers under it so there is a BIG gap on that side which I am sure allowing a lot of noise to come out. The passenger side sits where it should.

Will definitely be fixing this once we're home.

I did not find any latches that would hold the doghouse down securely to the floor. I'm now wondering why there is nothing to secure the top to the floor.

Thank you and everyone for the information as to what to look at and what to do and use to fix it ad well.

Shaz
Old 09-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #12

Though I'm on a workhorse chassis, I have a large Allen wrench that tightens the doghouse in place. I found it in the bottom of my owners bag along with the owners manuals, etc.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshaz View Post
Joemcgin,
I just checked the dog house and WOW, on the drivers side of it I can get 4 fingers under it so there is a BIG gap on that side which I am sure allowing a lot of noise to come out. The passenger side sits where it should.

Will definitely be fixing this once we're home.

I did not find any latches that would hold the doghouse down securely to the floor. I'm now wondering why there is nothing to secure the top to the floor.

Thank you and everyone for the information as to what to look at and what to do and use to fix it ad well.

Shaz
In about the center of the rear of the cover (left to right ) about an inch or so off the floor there should be a socket head for the latch recessed in the carpeting. You should have a fairly large allen wrench in the information bag from Winnebago. That wrench will fit the socket head. It takes a little feeling around to find it, but shouldn't be too difficult.

Once you have the wrench in the socket I believe it turns counter clockwise to unlatch the dog house. Once it's unlocked you can lift it slightly on the rear and pull it straight back. There should be a couple tabs on the underside that slip inside the opening to locate the cover. It's possible the tabs have been bent or damaged when the cover was reinstalled.

To reinstall the cover make sure it's centered left to right before pushing it tight against the front surface. Once it's tight against the front the latch should lower into the locking slot. Then it can be locked it place. There is some flex to the cover so be sure the bottom edge is in the channel against the gasket before turning the latch to lock it.

Some models also have a screw in each lower front corner to ensure the cover stays in the channel after locking. The screws are usually chrome plated with large heads. They can be removed with a phillips head screw driver. If your cover doesn't want to stay securely in the channel you can always add the screws. Just be sure to remove them before trying to pull the cover off.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hiker dogs,

Thank you for the step by step help. DH is working on it now since I showed him the gap. When he looked at it the clip on the rear was not even latched correctly to hold it in place. DH, Bob is a wiz at fixing things and figuring things out. I don't know where I would be without him. Since getting our sightseer I have to be proactive to learn as much as I can instead of just being blind and sticking to my traditional role of cooking, cleaning and watching.