Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Loud Engine Noise/Insulation

We have a 2016 Thor Miramar with a Ford V10 in front. The engine noise is so loud we can't carry on a conversation while driving. I'm thinking about insulating the engine cover inside but not sure how to go about it. I've seen some B-Quiet sheets advertised but then I guess you need to cover that with a hood liner to protect it from the heat. It seems others have sprayed some type of high heat acoustic insulation onto the inside of the cover.

Does any of this make sense? Has anyone tried this?
dfchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used this on the dog house. I plan to do the underside of the drivers and passenger floors next. East to cut and install. Quieted things down considerably.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dyc-11905
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #3

Due to some stereo mod's I was making to three of our vehicles, I found a good deal and bought lots of Dynamat. I had enough left over, to do the inside of our Bounder's dog house. 98 Bounder, 99 F53 Chassis first year 2 valve 275HP V10. A bonus to noise drop, was lower heat transfer into the cab...

Dynamat is expensive, but worked well... Other less expensive and just as good materials are available too... Do some searches, and you'll find other posts on this subject!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Loud Engine Noise/Insulation

I used this on the underside of our doghouse. I think I had 2 of the pieces left over. It’s helped with both sound and heat a bit and didn’t break the bank. I think I was able to get it installed in less than an hour even with cleaning the underside of the cover. HushMat 10200 Ultra Black Foil Door Kit with Damping Pad - 10 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VKVBHY..._3tN4zbWPSBGPS
Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know the name of it, but there is a material similar to what some are posting, but has about a 3/8" thick material that looks like dryer lint with a silver skin. Camping World use to sell it as a kit with a can of 3M spray on glue. This material is available at auto parts stores.

I know the material posted by others is very good quality, but usually used to attach to metal on the underside of a car.

When I had my Fleetwood Terra, I used the material I described, attaching it with 3M spray on adhesive. I used the silver reflective tape used to wrap metal ducting to seal the joints. Not cloth duct tape, but the thin silver tape.

I insulated the entire doghouse and then reached under the edges of the engine cover opening and placed material as far as I could reach. The material did a pretty good job of sound deadening and reduced heat.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Can this be done by someone (such as me) who knows nothing about motors and would need direction on even how to open the "doghouse"? If not, where would you go to have it done?
russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:53 AM   #7

Here is a good thread to go by. I used the info on here when I insulated my dog house.

Sound deadening the Challenger - Let the project begin - Thor Forums

As far as removing the dog house, at least on my Thor ACE 30.1 it's just four bolts to remove and it lifts right off. The holes never seemed to line up straight, so when you bolt it back on, just see the direction the light shines thru from under the dog house to see the angle you need to put the bolts back in.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:13 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Air Conditioner Duct Board.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
On our old 2001 Mirada, I installed Dynamat on the doghouse cover. BIG difference.

I also found a couple gaping holes in the firewall area that were letting in noise and a lot of cold air.

Here is a short article I wrote about the Dynamat.

Sound deadening and heat shield – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by russue125 View Post
Can this be done by someone (such as me) who knows nothing about motors and would need direction on even how to open the "doghouse"? If not, where would you go to have it done?
Yes this is something that you can accomplish, the hardest part was getting the doghouse off. Mine had 2 screws and an allen key 1/4 turn lock holding it down. I just removed it, threw a towel over the hole, cleaned the back of the doghouse good, and stuck on the material. I started in the middle where I could use full sheets of the material then cut with scissors the edge pieces. Took maybe an hour.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #11

Go to Summit Racing or Jeggs Racing web sites... they both offer several different styles of sound insulation that can either be installed with screws, some have adhesive backing... others you use a contact cement... some are just sound, some are both heat and sound....
Old 10-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I'd like to do this also but I always worry about it coming off and falling on the engine as a fire hazard.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I'd like to do this also but I always worry about it coming off and falling on the engine as a fire hazard.
The stuff I used is likely never to come off. It was extremely sticky! I used a roller to make sure it's on well. I think adding the heat from the engine just helped to make the adhesive stick more not less.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Has anyone tried Soundown products? It is commonly used in boat engine rooms.
I have used it in the engine room on 2 boats.
Frankg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, noise