Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Loud Noise and Air Pressure Problem

I was sitting the back yard and heard a load noise, which sounded like a big balloon exploding. It came from the direction on the coach. I thought it was an air-bag, but I looked at them and they all look good, no physical signs of damage. All of the tires are good too. When I tried to raise the coach I could not build up any air pressure. I don't hear ant leaks, it just doesn't build up pressure. I have no idea how the noise and pressure problem are related, but it's too much of a coincidence was sitting the back yard and heard a load noise, which sounded like a big balloon exploding. It came from the direction on the coach. I thought it was an air-bag, but I looked at them and they all look good, no physical signs of damage. All of the tires are good too. When I tried to raise the coach I could not build up air pressure. I don't hear any leaks, it just doesn't build up pressure. I have no idea how the noise and pressure problem are related, but it's too much of a coincidence for them not to be connected. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler999 View Post
I was sitting the back yard and heard a load noise, which sounded like a big balloon exploding. It came from the direction on the coach. I thought it was an air-bag, but I looked at them and they all look good, no physical signs of damage. All of the tires are good too. When I tried to raise the coach I could not build up any air pressure. I don't hear ant leaks, it just doesn't build up pressure. I have no idea how the noise and pressure problem are related, but it's too much of a coincidence was sitting the back yard and heard a load noise, which sounded like a big balloon exploding. It came from the direction on the coach. I thought it was an air-bag, but I looked at them and they all look good, no physical signs of damage. All of the tires are good too. When I tried to raise the coach I could not build up air pressure. I don't hear any leaks, it just doesn't build up pressure. I have no idea how the noise and pressure problem are related, but it's too much of a coincidence for them not to be connected. Any ideas?

Since there was a noise involved, there mush have been a sudden release of air pressure. Since you can't build any pressure the problem must be at the air tanks or before.

Connectors at the tanks and the air dryer would be the first place I would check. You might open the tank drain valves to see if just one tank involved.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

There are lines and high pressure hoses that are under pressure, when the coach is sitting and by the sound of things one of them has popped.
Over the sounds the diesel makes running, the leak will be hard to track.
You need to trace the air system from the compressor to the air dryer, to the pressure tanks and beyond to track your leak.
A blow out parked , about all you can eliminate is the, lines from the air brake foot valve to the wheels, everything else is suspect.

EDIT: second thought, I always have second thoughts! The air system should build to 60 psi. before the air suspension starts to inflate. Called a brake saver , holds enough pressure to allow coach movement ( air brake operation) in the event of air suspension blow out.
Going to need all your coach info , for anyone to be more help. Year , chassis maker, engine etc.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

I forgot, I have a 38', 1999 Monaco Windsor.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #5

First thing would be to contact , Monaco , for an air system diagram.
It won't show actual component locations , but will give an idea of what has to be looked at; as far as air flow; to track your leak.
Note: If your going to have the rig towed to a repair facility , make sure you explain to the tow company , that your system won't hold any air, makes a difference how the M/H has to be prepared for moving.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #6

here is a thought. If you connect an air compressor to the air chuck on your MH it should be possible to hear the leak since the engine won't be making any noise.

Have a nice day - darrel
Old 07-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

That may not work...ours on gillig has check valve to insure non dried air cannot get in.

Try it anyway...

I suspect dryer and if spin on and long time sincd service it could have gave way.

What type of levelers?

With engine running will it lift or brakes work?

If nothing start at dryer

The air system has multiple tanks and pathways so suspension on seperate system form brakes so depending on system and location of blast it may do something.

Lines make high pitched bang with hiss...tanks or dryer due to size more like boom.

Good luck
Old 07-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Wink Hope you don't need towed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
That may not work...ours on gillig has check valve to insure non dried air cannot get in.

Try it anyway...

I suspect dryer and if spin on and long time sincd service it could have gave way.

What type of levelers?

With engine running will it lift or brakes work?

If nothing start at dryer

The air system has multiple tanks and pathways so suspension on seperate system form brakes so depending on system and location of blast it may do something.

Lines make high pitched bang with hiss...tanks or dryer due to size more like boom.

Good luck
How is a tow truck operator suppose to air up your system if you need towed?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
here is a thought. If you connect an air compressor to the air chuck on your MH it should be possible to hear the leak since the engine won't be making any noise.

Have a nice day - darrel
Great idea........
Old 07-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #10

Me too!

The chassis is "school buss" and built in ca so it is safe to assume safety in design.

In the manual there is a set of instructions for towing relating to using a device to lick out the spring brakes.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #11
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
How is a tow truck operator suppose to air up your system if you need towed?
The tow truck operator should know how to "cage" the parking brakes. It uses a special T bolt that attaches to the inner plunger in the spring brake and disengages it when tightened.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post

Have a nice day - darrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Me too!

The chassis is "school buss" and built in ca so it is safe to assume safety in design.

In the manual there is a set of instructions for towing relating to using a device to lick out the spring brakes.
OH MY..........I hope you don't hurt your tongue doing this............
Old 07-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #13

Darn phone keyboard...

Would need some adult beverage to try that...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #14

I finally isolated the problem to the supply line between the front tank and the rear tank. It goes through the frame and it blew somewhere in the middle. It would be impossible to fish a line through the cable way, so I ran a piece of PVC through it and then ran the new air line through the PVC. I tried to pull the old line out but I guess it has some cable ties holding it so I couldn't see the the damage., but the problem has been fixed.