Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #1

Loud Sound from ELECTRIC HEATING

We have a Class A motorhome. When we are connected to electric heat, there is a rotating humming sound that goes from soft to loud. Also, when the system shuts down, it makes a small klunk. Is this a normal system?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #2

Wish I had an answer for you. All I can tell you is I had the same thing for almost a year. When I took it to the shop to be checked out the guys took all the covers off, cleaned everything, and found nothing wrong. The noise has never come back. I've decided it was the furnace complaining about dog hair. Once the dog hair was gone, no more complaints.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like your "electric" heat is a heat pump. You need t open up the unit and see what is loose...check the 4 anchor bolts that hold the unit to the roof, check for loose items in the upper unit.

Normally, when a heat pump shuts down you may head a clunk...least wise on the Coleman units.

Ken
Old 10-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianewhite View Post
We have a Class A motorhome. When we are connected to electric heat, there is a rotating humming sound that goes from soft to loud. Also, when the system shuts down, it makes a small klunk. Is this a normal system?
Please allow the forum to be of greater service to you by providing us with more information about your RV. If you will note, most of us provide details about our RVing equipment. When questions are asked we have a good idea how to answer because of this knowledge.

Thank you and welcome to irv2, a great place to learn and teach about RVing.

Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
More information would be helpful. Please fill in your signature
Old 10-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #6

This is my first time on here.; I'm not sure what the signature section is to have in it. Thanks. I'll search some more to find out.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

This is my first time using this site. A little rough I know. We have a 2003 Winnebago Journey. The heat system is a heat pump system located under the bed.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Diane, for your signature, look at the second tool bar on the left end. You need to be logged in.

Click User CP then scroll down and click Edit Signature. Follow the instruction from there. Scroll to the bottom and click to save your changes.

Ken
Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
This is my first time using this site. A little rough I know. We have a 2003 Winnebago Journey. The heat system is a heat pump system located under the bed.
I think you have basement air. Under the bed could be loud.

How long have you been in this coach?

Diane, you are safe here. We are here to help you with RV problems and not to prey or pry. Please give us as much information as you can about your problem. Is this new or has it always sounded this way? Do you get sufficient cooling and heating?

Many blessings and happy trails,
Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #10

I assume you have a heat pump and are hearing the compressor kick in and run. It should sound the same as when your a/c is running.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since the unit is running in heat pump mode, the reversing valve has the two coils switched. The inside coil is acting as the condenser. It is possible that the noise is coming from the reversing valve on shut down.

Ken
Old 10-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
OK, now maybe this might help since I know more about your unit. The noise you hear may be the squirrel cage in the gas heater. My previous unit would do that when it shut down. The bearings are most likely going bad. Mine did this until I had them fix it.

Tags
heating