Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
Low Air Alarm - False Alarm???

We recently purchased a 2007 National Tropical LX and took it out for the first time this weekend. Loved it and everything worked very well until driving home when the low air alarm and light came on. I immediately looked at my gauges and both were at normal pressure just above 100psi. As I slowed to find a safe spot on the side of the freeway, both alarm and light went out. This happened about 5 or 6 more times. I figured out this only happens when we are climbing a grade that requires us to downshift. When traveling on flat or downhill, this has not happened. Any ideas on why the alarm is activated while the gauges still show normal pressure and why it would only happen while climbing a grade? I have a 45 day complete warranty but will have to drive 300 miles back to the dealer. Don't want to do this if it is something easy to fix or a false alarm.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Wingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
I have a 2007 Crosscountry built on a Freightliner chassis built in 2006. I had a similar problem, alarm would sound, gauges would bounce. After fighting the problem for a year or two I contacted Freightliner with my serial number, they replace wiring harness in the dash, I paid for installation. It solved my problem. I suggest you call Freightliner with you serial number and ask for recommendations.

Darwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
I hate intermittent problems. If somethings going to break, THEN BREAK! But, trying to find the cause of an issue like you're having, that only happens under certain driving conditions, is or, can be, a tough one. About 99.99% of the time an issue like yours is caused by a bad or, defective ground in some part of the system. Not always, but many times. I also have a small and, most likely completely off base theory. If you're climbing a grade, then some wires, maybe under or, behind the dash, might be moving, even slightly. And, if they or, even one of them either causes a bad ground or, bad connection, or, possibly shorts to ground, then maybe that's your problem.

It's a long shot, but, might be something worth thinking about. I look at all potential possible remedies in a situation like this. Many times it's an easier fix than what I think it's going to be. I always think the hard way. But, good luck on your remedy.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

Agree with Fire Up,
When I first bought my coach, I had the same issue with false low air alarms. I knew it was not low air but try to find the cause of the alarm.

So I took a day and pulled every plug on the firewall, sprayed both sides with Dielectric Cleaner and blew dry with can of compressed air I use for my computer. Put a bit of Dielectric Grease on the pins and reassembled. Did the same for every plug I could find on the air system.
Bottom Line, No More Alarms in five years. Took me all day (with a few beers ) but it worked.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Low Air Alarm - False Alarm???

Wings fan, I had similar occurrences about a year-year and a half ago. If you have a Freightliner chassis it may be the same. I determined that it was not an air problem, but actually a known failure problem in the VDC (Vehicle Data Computer) that feeds air, electrical, and other data to dashboard gauges. I silenced the warning buzzer, and had the VDC replaced when I went to Gaffney for annual service.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It not just on Freightliner chassis. I have a Spartan Mountain Master chassis that has the same problem. It affects the fuel gauge and air gauges. If I turn on the lights or run the dash air even hitting the brake peddle it makes the gauges drop. Sometimes setting off the low air alarm. Going to really get into it this winter. I think it'd a bad ground also. Any other Ideas, suggestions?

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote