Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

Low Air Alarm/Pressure gauge swingin

I have a 2001 Landau on freightliner. The rear air gauge will swing to 0 then max out at 130, then the low air alarm comes on. The alarm will sound/light on dash on and after a several minutes the gauge resets and the alarm turns off. Anyone else having this problem and how can I fix it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #2

Sounds like the classic symptoms of bad solder joints on the freightliner VDC (vehicle data computer). The VDC in the era of your your coach assembly time has a history of bad solder joints. You can probably repair this if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Go to the files section on the IRV2 main menu, then select the VDU/VDC Repair item. It will give extensive instructions on how to repair.

Fred

Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Yes...what Fred Cooper said. Had the same problem on my FL chassis. Went months driving me crazy. After some research and help from this forum... It was a loose ground on the VDC that FL uses. Good luck.

Happy Wife = Happy Life! ... and that brings "Miles of Smiles"
TruDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Wow. Yes, my 2000 Dutch Star / Freightliner chassis has the same problem with the front air system. Seems it only happens when driving in the rain though. Sometimes the warning light comes on, then the gauge goes crazy and sometimes the gauge goes crazy then the warning light starts going off afterwords. Thought it might be a faulty pressure sender. I'll look into the circuit board deal. Does Freightliner have a service bulletin on this situation by chance?? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer68 View Post
Does Freightliner have a service bulletin on this situation by chance?? Thanks.
The only service bulletin that I'm aware of describes the operation of the guages and provides some troubleshooting info. It DOES NOT provide repair of the VDC instructions.

To see the service bulletin, click the link below:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/go...44_sbu5412.pdf

It is very helpful in understanding how it all works.

Fred
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

Interesting info! Thanks Fred.

Craig
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

seevans.
I see that Fred has you up to speed on all things related to your problem.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Have had the same problem with both gauges on FL chassis. . Once or twice a trip and only when coach hits really rough, jarring road surface. Gauges go crazy and alarm sounds and just as sudden, all returns to normal. Will look at suggestions.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeyaarv View Post
Have had the same problem with both gauges on FL chassis. . Once or twice a trip and only when coach hits really rough, jarring road surface. Gauges go crazy and alarm sounds and just as sudden, all returns to normal. Will look at suggestions.
Just got off phone with the "really" good guys in Gaffney. His answer won't really help seevans,
but may help others with a post 2004 FL chassis with this problem. After 2004, FL no longer used a VDU (VDC). They now use something called a 1939 Device. The system has 8 thin wires (depending on number of gauges) that run from the Light Bar to the individual gauges. Instead of the bad solder connections in the VDU, these wires are very thin and too long. The short is coming from one of these wires. Fix is to open Light Bar and better secure wires.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #10

I had a simular problem, called Freightliner, and went to a dealer, what both told me was that if the gauges were swinging the problem is electrical and probably caused by water in the system and that I should bleed the water daily. I did change the filter and and as long as I bleed the water off daily I don't have a problem.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #11

I had the same problem with intermittent low air light and alarm (2000 Itasca Horizon). It took me a couple of years of frustration asking everybody i could think of how to fix the problem. Finally i asked a tech guy at the Freightliner both at an FMCA ralley. He knew exactly what the problem was, where to locate the VCU in my rig and how to replace it! He didn't offer suggestions in how to fix the original unit, but for a few hundred bucks and shipping time. .. problem solved. I wish i had known how to fix the unit myself. Notwithstanding, it's been fine since i replaced it seven or eight years ago. Good luck with yours.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
First: Welcome to IRV2 seevans-
All the gauge information goes through the VDC and then to dash gauges.

In my case, the speedometer was erratic, dropped to zero, with no other indications. It would return to normal each time after shutting down for several minutes, at a rest stop or refuel. The problem would then reappear after a few months. On the Landau the VDC is located in the rear passenger side compartment, behind the panel. I removed the multipin connectors, cleaned them with electronic cleaner, applied dielectric paste and have not had a problem for over 5 years......Use caution, if you bend the pins or break the connectors they are not easy to replace..
I Did not remove the air lines or connectors.If you work on the air lines at all, be sure to release all the air pressure first. (Lanyards on the air tanks) I did not have to open the unit or resolder internally..Hope this helps.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
.......caused by water in the system and that I should bleed the water daily. I did change the filter and and as long as I bleed the water off daily I don't have a problem.
Freightliner air tanks have a heated automatic moisture ejector on the air tanks (wet tank) as well as the Air Dryer (filter). You should not get any noticeable moisture from your tanks if those systems are working. (More than a short mist).

From Freightliner "Know your RV chassis" :
http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...4504000000.pdf
Freightliner chassis are equipped, as standard equipment, with a
heated automatic moisture ejector on the wet tank in addition to one
built into the air dryer. This eliminates the need to climb under the
coach to drain air and water from the tanks daily.You still must pull all
three drain lanyards for 10 to 15 seconds every 6 Months to drain
moisture. A fine mist is normal due condensation. If a large amount of
moisture is present it should be completely drained, and the air dryer
serviced. Moisture in the braking system can cause brake system
failure and is not covered by the manufacturers warranty.

FWIW, I have never seen water anytime I have drained air from the tanks...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #14

Speaking of draining the air tanks in order to remove / repair the VDC, I assume the rig won't drop enough to smash me while I'm under there pulling the lanyards? Also, I noticed last night up front next to the generator there is a pull handle that looks like it goes to the tank area, is this for draining the tanks without having to crawl under there?? Its a black handle similar to a hood latch release.