Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Low air flow from dash vents

2004 Itasca Meridian 34H freightliner chasis. Very little air comes out of dash vents. Blower motor, recently replaced works fine. Sounds like doors are closing/opening from vacuum. No change in airflow if AC setting is on reg or recirc. Any suggestions?
DENNISIBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

Are there any filters or ? that might cause a restriction in air intake? Where does the fresh air come in from. I can't really tell exactly where the air flow comes from. There are some foam strips on bottom and top of housing, but they seem to be more for moisture control. If I shine a flashlight thru the bottom of foam, I cannot see any light thru the top. Help!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Are you saying that you used to have better air flow, and this is a change? If so, this might not help, but for what it's worth:

Years ago, when we first bought our current coach, we noticed that one or two of our dashboard vents had little or no air flow. Having read complaints on some forum or other about sloppy ductwork, we had the factory service center check it out while doing some other work. Long story short, they found at least one vent disconnected entirely, and lots of extraneous flexible ducting folded over itself. They cleaned it all up, and air flow was dramatically improved.

If you can take your dashboard cover off, you might get a much better idea what's going on (or not) back there. Our has little leatherette "buttons" that snap off (use a flat screwdriver to pry them off), revealing Phillips head screws that hold the cover on. It's worth a look.

Beware, you also could have a rodent nest blocking the flow ...
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
The default (no vacuum) position for the vents is the windshield defrost slots. If you have little or no air to the dash but good flow to the windshield the vent doors are not fully closing. No or low vacuum, or an obstruction to the doors or the airflow....Or one of the ducts has fallen off that new blower...

Good luck
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I pulled the blower housing off and can look down into the manifold where the distribution door is and it seems to be moving/closing ok, I think. My question is when I replaced the blower motor, myself and a few friends are looking at it now and kinda think the motor is turning the wrong way. Is this possible? i.e. the motor is turning clockwise (looking at it if is assembled in the coach, from the inside cabin. Any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

I think the airflow problem is after I installed the new blower motor, but can't be for sure.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
The motor is probably turning the wrong way . Reverse the wires and see what happens I had this happen to me recently in an Acura .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #8

Problem solved, the motor was turning the wrong way! I built a jumper to reverse the wires, tried it out and way more air flow. So I cut the wires to reverse the input and put everything back together. Now just need to finish cleaning up the coach and put it up for sale. Downsizing to a trailer. we feel a trailer will be more usable and dollar wise. Just need to find a nice unit to pull with my 2011 Tahoe, 4WD, 5.3L motor. Would like a toy hauler style if I can find one that's not too heavy. Just need to haul 2 dirt bikes, 250lbs each.

Tags
dash