Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #1

Low Air Pressure, 2003 Excursion

recently purchased 2003 fleetwood excursion. Continuous low air pressure alarm, however airbag and brakes work fine. Initially thought it was a gauge problem, replaced both gauges~both read "0" . Appears to be a problem with whatever sends info to the gauges. As I said everything work fine but the gauges both read "0" and the low air alarm is continuously activated.

First MH purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Randy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
KIX

There is a VDC (Vehicle Data Computer) attached to your chassis that sends data to the dash instruments. I don't know where it's located on your chassis. On mine its attached to a frame crossmember behind gen. It's a box maybe 8" x 6" x 2" that houses a pcb. Some of those boards in your vintage had cold solder joints that can be re-soldered. The box will have electrical wiring attached as well as a green and a red air line. Maybe you can do a search here to find old posts about the cold solder joints. Sorry I can't be of more help.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #3

Look at this link (files section of IRV2) for VDC repair instructions:

iRV2 Forums - Files - VDU/ VDC Repair

Fred
Old 02-15-2014, 01:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
greeleytime, I'm having a similar problem in my DutchStar, except it is intermittent and only applies to my rear air gauge. Other than that, my symptoms are like yours. My VDC is also located behind the generator, as Kix mentioned. I just had it pointed out to me by a tech a few days ago, and I've now downloaded the document referenced by Fred Cooper. Thanks to both Fred and Kix for the help.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #5

The VDC is part of the Freightliner chassis, but is located by the coach builder. Mine is in a rear storage bay behind the rear wheels - passenger side. It is mounted up high in the storage bay with the transmission computer, and covered with a plastic cover. If you didn't know what to look for, it would be easy to miss. I've also heard of them being mounted in the engine bay, and under the bed.
Fred
Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #6

fred, kix, kfxg...thanks so much guys, can't tell you how helpful your threads are. I found the VDC in my MH in the first compartment behind passenger rear wheels. Will order new one tomorrow. If that doesn't cure the problem, I will pursue with you further. Again, thank you!

Randy~~'03 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION
Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
KIX

Randy,
If you're not going to try to repair the existing VDC and if in fact a new one gets you going, it's suggested that you hold on to the old one. Get it repaired using the instructions Fred sent you. Keep it onboard as a spare after repair.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #8

I am going to try to repair but wlll use for spare. Not to handy with solder, have printed your instructions, going to give it a try.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
" NOt too handy with solder " Uh oh. First if all of your problem is only the air gauge try to resolder where the air transducer connects to the board. Go to radio shack or somewhere and get a low power or even temp controlled soldering IRON do not use a gun. Take a magnifying glass and look at the soldered joints. Any you see that look different are probably cold solder joints. Reheat the joint then let cool. Use a low temp on your iron. Ic chips, transistors, diodes etc are not big fans of high heat. You only need to touch a few seconds.

A better idea might be to take the board to someone that works on TV's or cell phone and see what they would charge to check for cold solder joints.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #10

Finding someone in your area to solder it is a good idea.

Why pay $400 to $600 for a replacement VDC when a local tv repairman or cell phone repair center can probably resolder it for you for under $50.

Yea....my "cheap gene" is showing.

Fred
Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
There is a VDC (Vehicle Data Computer) attached to your chassis that sends data to the dash instruments. I don't know where it's located on your chassis. On mine its attached to a frame crossmember behind gen. It's a box maybe 8" x 6" x 2" that houses a pcb. Some of those boards in your vintage had cold solder joints that can be re-soldered. The box will have electrical wiring attached as well as a green and a red air line. Maybe you can do a search here to find old posts about the cold solder joints. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Pardon my ignorance, what is a pcb?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
i have owned a 2003 fleetwood excursion for eight years and really love it did you make sure the air pressure switch is in on before you trevel
Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 AM   #13

2003 excursion

Actually, the low pressure alarm quit and both gauges started functioning perfictly before I started working on the VDC . Well "false alarm" yesterday back to alarming and one gauge showing "0" . What pressure switch?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for all your input... It was perfect.. I got the VDC in and everything works great! Thank you all Fred, Kix, kfxg, again. Saved me alot of time and money!!

Randy