Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jimdel41,
The problem you experienced is easy to determine the cause. Based on the information in the OP, you were having problems during the peak electric usage for the day. When everyone is drawing close to the maximum then there is bound to be low VAC. I know of no CG that has enough electric for peak demand. VAC will always drop, how much is the question.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver

What part? The calculations are the same, just change the draw amp number to what you're actually using. The short answer is, if the VC-50 is doing 12% boost, then you're actually pulling 12% more amps than your inside EMS is showing.
The 105 - but yep calculation would be the same.

For Reference - The Voltage Boosting on the PM VC50 is
Input voltage
128VAC 0% boost
128 to 116 +/- 1.5 VAC 2.5%
112 or < +/- 1.5 VAC 10%

With 3,580 joules SP.

I think the OP has probably more questions now than I do and when he started. Needless to say - my VC in front of my PI 50PC are staying put. As wired - I plug from the post directly to either.

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
To those who claim the voltage regulators take power from others in the CG, by golly you are correct. The spec sheet on my Surge Guard 50 AMP voltage regulator says at full boost, the unit draws 1 AMP. My way of thinking is if I rented a 50 AMP site (total 100 AMPS) it is my choice to use a maximum of 1 of those AMPs to run my voltage regulator.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD
To those who claim the voltage regulators take power from others in the CG, by golly you are correct. The spec sheet on my Surge Guard 50 AMP voltage regulator says at full boost, the unit draws 1 AMP. My way of thinking is if I rented a 50 AMP site (total 100 AMPS) it is my choice to use a maximum of 1 AMP to run my voltage regulator.
I wasn't aware Surge Guard made a Voltage Regulator. My PowerMaster looks like this
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3620601131.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	557.2 KB
ID:	39453
And
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-458988548.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	39456

Still now sure how the 50 amp breaker at the post works if i can get 56 amps out of it. Text books.

On edit - Gary I went back to the long thread where you explained all and I now remember the Surge Guard regulator you mentioned and have. My bad.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexabbot View Post
You were running close to 30 amps with just the to A/Cs.
As soon as the frig or water pump or battery charger or whatever kicked in you would blow the breaker.

You can't run to A/C plus other stuff at the same time.
He has the Intellitec Shed system. it will not let him pull over 30 amps.If he st.arted his microwave while both airs were on. the shed system would turn off the rear compressor. You can not exceed 30 amps with this system
Old 05-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #20

There are numerous types of circuit breakers and the ones used on a pedestal are essentially the same as those used in a residential panel. These operate on a thermal and magnetic basis. There is a bimetallic strip and when it heats up enough from current flowing through it, it "flips" and trips the breaker. This portion is designed so small overloads for a long enough time period will trip the breaker. The magnetic portion is a small coil and when the current is high enough, it trips the breaker. The magnetic portion is almost instantaneous and is designed to trip on high currents and short circuits.

So.... In the case of an autotransformer even though there may be say 56 amps being drawn on the input side, because the voltage is lower than normal, the bimetallic strip doesn't get enough watts (heat) to cause the bimetallic strip to trip the breaker. Also, circuit breakers are calibrated to operate within spec. at a specified temp.

Breakers work on an inverse time-current basis like in this link: http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/stp...M_TC_Curve.pdf
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Hughes Autoformer, worth its weight in gold at most older parks!!!!!!

I was getting as low as 100 volts (read inside the rig with a load) at some campgrounds, same places, same site even never dips below/above 120
Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #22

Did you manage to fix the issue?