Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
Crop Duster-- If your talking about the bridge over the Sabine River on Texas state road 63 between Jasper, tx and Louisiana state road 8 to Leesville, La. Then this bridge is posted at 12' . There are 3 or 4 signs warning 12 foot clearance for miles before the bridge. In reality, it is only 12 foot clearance along the upper corners of the bridge due to corner gussets on the metal frame. My Motorhome is 12'2" to the top of the Satellite dome and I have used this bridge 4 times now. I have seen 13' Logging trucks use this bridge. Just stay in the middle and go slow so you don,t bounce to much and your 12' foot rig will clear.
Here are a couple of pics, one eastbound and one westbound both marked at 12' 3"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd 63 Sabine River Bridge EB.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	52733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd 63 Sabine River Bridge WB.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	52734  

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Try the AllStays RV app. It is great. Has bridge heights and everything else. $9.99 on Google play. Well worth it.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
You may have built them but I am surveyed them and they DO settle and more than an inch or two!
I too am a surveyor, included in bridge building, And did over 2 years of nothing but bridge inspections for the Feds to get a handle on our failing infrastructure,over 2200 bridges, large and small and NEVER encountered a settlement problem. If it settles it will fall.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #18

The Toughest Bridge In The World - YouTube
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1233 View Post
Try the AllStays RV app. It is great. Has bridge heights and everything else. $9.99 on Google play. Well worth it.
Rusty, can you use the app as a gps?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #20

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
THats CRAZY
Old 12-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rand McNally RV GPS has clearance tables built in to it. I have not traveled under a low bridge in my Motor home after I bought it. I did use it in a rental car at an airport one time. When I was driving the car back to the parking lot the GPS showed a low clearance warning. I looked for what it could be and there was a pedestrian bridge going across the road and it was showing it was a low clearance for an RV. I thought that if it had pedestrian bridges at air ports in the Data Table then I am not going to worry about highway bridges being in there. I realize that bridges that were incorrectly posted will be incorrect in the data table but I will cross under that bridge when I come to it.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post

I too am a surveyor, included in bridge building, And did over 2 years of nothing but bridge inspections for the Feds to get a handle on our failing infrastructure,over 2200 bridges, large and small and NEVER encountered a settlement problem. If it settles it will fall.
By the look of the bridge in the earlier post, I think it must be one you missed. I would be worried about pieces of the over head coming loose or falling off.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #23

Yes, It has all kinds of parameters you can check off to include. Such as dump station, Walmart, one way streets, independent campgrounds, state parks, beaches etc. It will give you campground web sites all within your search map. IMO it is very well worth the money.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #24

Crop duster,
Let me try to clarify. If you search for a campground you can put in all sorts of parameters such as Elks Lodge, or military or Walmart overnight. And also add height: limits such as bridges 7 to 8 feet 8 to 10 feet or more . Once you find a campground you keep checking off parameters that you would like to include in your search. It will help you find a campground and keep you on the best route possible.
Does that make any sense?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #25

Ok, Don't want to give any bad information. Answer is No it does not have GPS, but whatever you enter, it will tell you where it is such as every low bridge 7-8 feet in whatever state you are searching. Guess I'm not real good at explaining, but try it. You'll like it.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
BobGed--I stand corrected, it is posted 12'3" not 12'. I know my rig is 12'2" and I have been across that bridge 4 times over the past 3 years. I stay in the middle so I don,t have to worry about the gussets. One time a car waited for me to pass before he started across the bridge. DW hates this bridge.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The American Independent Truckers Association, Inc., used to have a web site with all the states low clearances......
The AITA restructured their website a while back, but all the info is still there. Go to America's Independent Truckers' Association: Information select your state of interest, then select "Low Clearance/Bridge Heights/Restricted Rules". Any clearance they're aware of lower than 13' 6" is listed. The site also lists truck stops and rest areas, by state.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Rand McNally RV GPS has clearance tables built in to it. I have not traveled under a low bridge in my Motor home after I bought it. I did use it in a rental car at an airport one time. When I was driving the car back to the parking lot the GPS showed a low clearance warning. I looked for what it could be and there was a pedestrian bridge going across the road and it was showing it was a low clearance for an RV. I thought that if it had pedestrian bridges at air ports in the Data Table then I am not going to worry about highway bridges being in there. I realize that bridges that were incorrectly posted will be incorrect in the data table but I will cross under that bridge when I come to it.
I bought a Rand McNally GPS in July, 2012. In Oct, 2012 it tried to run me under an 11ft bridge in NJ-- an old, old stone arch RR bridge that had been there for a hundred years. Haven't trusted it since.

Now I check planned routes in the AITA website, and visually scan it in Google Maps, Sat view. As soon as I see an 18-wheeler, I know I'm good.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote