Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #29

X 2 on the all stays app.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Rand McNally RV GPS has clearance tables built in to it. I have not traveled under a low bridge in my Motor home after I bought it. I did use it in a rental car at an airport one time. When I was driving the car back to the parking lot the GPS showed a low clearance warning. I looked for what it could be and there was a pedestrian bridge going across the road and it was showing it was a low clearance for an RV. I thought that if it had pedestrian bridges at air ports in the Data Table then I am not going to worry about highway bridges being in there. I realize that bridges that were incorrectly posted will be incorrect in the data table but I will cross under that bridge when I come to it.

Rand McNally has a SERIOUS problem with low-clearance warnings on their GPS's. I have a RVND7710 and discovered this problem very soon after purchase.

It WILL try to route you around a low-clearance IF you are following a programmed route, BUT if you don't take their rerouting suggestion and continue toward the low-clearance you will not get a warning until you are LESS THAN 500' FROM DISASTER! At that point you may or may not be able to stop or turn around! There is no option on my GPS to set the distance you wish to be warned ahead of the low-clearance!

Also, if you are driving with the GPS on, but NOT on a programmed route, again you will not get the low-clearance warning until you are about to lose the top of your RV!

I have discussed this with RM and they say they are working on this problem and it will be corrected in a future update. That has been about a year now and nothing yet!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did start a new thread about information on the AllStays app. So not to get off the original subject of this thread.
Anyone who wants to add information is most certainly welcome to do so.
Thanks, Rusty
Old 12-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
BobGed--I stand corrected, it is posted 12'3" not 12'. I know my rig is 12'2" and I have been across that bridge 4 times over the past 3 years. I stay in the middle so I don,t have to worry about the gussets. One time a car waited for me to pass before he started across the bridge. DW hates this bridge.
I wasn't trying to point out the discrepancy, but was curious if it was in the Low Clearance.com database, which it wasn't so I sent the coordinates and pics to them to have it added to their database.

From the looks of the bridge I would imagine you still would say a little prayer every time you have to cross it.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 5510 with lifetime maps and it missed a low bridge on a fairly busy road. Fortunately we had stopped at a lighthouse and getting back in the rig and ready to go we noticed that it was telling us to take a right out of the lot. About 200' ahead were large signs saying 10' 6" clearance. We had our height set at 12'. We did not turn right.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Rand McNally has a SERIOUS problem with low-clearance warnings on their GPS's. I have a RVND7710 and discovered this problem very soon after purchase.

It WILL try to route you around a low-clearance IF you are following a programmed route, BUT if you don't take their rerouting suggestion and continue toward the low-clearance you will not get a warning until you are LESS THAN 500' FROM DISASTER! At that point you may or may not be able to stop or turn around! There is no option on my GPS to set the distance you wish to be warned ahead of the low-clearance!

Also, if you are driving with the GPS on, but NOT on a programmed route, again you will not get the low-clearance warning until you are about to lose the top of your RV!

I have discussed this with RM and they say they are working on this problem and it will be corrected in a future update. That has been about a year now and nothing yet!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
sorry you had a problem with a low bridge. One of your comments was what I liked about the 7710 which is what I have. When it is programming your route it routes you around low bridges. I have been on some roads where if you find a low bridge it is a long ways to back up in order to get to a spot to turn around. I like having it take that into consideration when programming the route. Like I said in my original post. I have not been on any roads with low bridges with my RV since the purchase of the unit. I travel a lot and fly into various cities then get a rental car for a one day business trip. Rather than pay the 10.00 per day gps fee I carry my RM 7710 with me. On the way back to the rental parking lot is the only time I have ever had the low hazard warning come up on the unit. That was for a pedestrian walkway at the airport not something you would normally be seeing an RV driving through. I was impressed that it had that deep a level of data base. I cannot imagine that it has all of the low bridges in the nation on it and I keep an eye peeled when I go under a bridge that is not over an interstate. I do not know if you still have your 7710 but when I downloaded software updates last week it showed a new feature. You can now go to the Good Sams website plan a trip and then download that to your GPS unit. Once again I have not tried this feature out yet but if that works it should be a very good feature to have. I think the good sams trip planner software works very well for my needs.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #35

35 years as Bridge Engineer, stuff happens, bridges can settle, roads get repaved, frost heave and signs are stollen . So keep your eyes open. Also any info on a computer system is only good the day it was inputted and bridges typically are only inspected every 2 years.

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #36

Downloaded allstays app to my iPhone and iPad. It does not have any warning or mention of this bridge. I like the app but that scares me. What else is missing? :(
barryb
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
Recently, on a trip from Louisiana to Texas we had to detour around a bridge with 12'3" clearance. I remembered well in advance that this old bridge was placarded but was not sure the actual height. My wife found the height info on the web so we went a different route. We were in our Safari Sahara 30 and we're not sure of the actual height of it. My question is what is your clearance limits while traveling and is there a web sight that you use that is for RVers reference? Thanks
barryb
Either get a GPS that's made for RVs. You can program your rigs height and it will lead you the right way . Also I think good sam club has a link to help map out your trip.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #38

Near as I can tell, I am usually on roads that trucks travel. Seldom freeways, but old 2-lane stuff. More to see. Not boring.
If I see a truck, I'm cool. If it is a road to a campground, also cool.
Had to turn around only once in 25 years and 48 states, but there was a sign, and it was due to being on a road where a MH did not belong.
Having a toad keeps my MH out of downtown areas. That helps!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Barry,
If it or something else is missing you can edit or add information via email to AllStays. I did it for a RV repair shop that closed out here in Ca.
I think that is how they get a lot of their information.