Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #1

Low chassis an issue?

Hi,
I am looking to purchase my first coach and specifically looking at a 2013 THOR Palazzo 33.1. Noticed the low ground clearance, is this an issue I should be concerned about?
Thanks for your insights.
Jac
JacRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Ride height of a class A chassis should only be a concern if you have a steep driveway or are considering taking the RV off road for boon-docking.
If you're always on good roads the height should not be a real problem.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not an issue. If you are looking under it at a dealer or owners lot it wont be aired up. Air springs bring the coach up plenty high enough. My wife complains the step is to high when stopping during a travel day.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

I guess I should have asked because , I'm not sure about the model you've asked about.

Is the unit equipped with air suspension?
If so was the system aired up when you saw it?
Air suspension will raise the coach approx 4" for travel.
EDIT: I see that t55watson , said the same thing while I was away typing.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not be worried, I worry more about the overhang behind the rear wheels. Unless you are going off road, were it is bad no worries just pay attention. My family rarely "pays" to camp but boon dock in the wood all the time, 3-10 miles of forest service road and then 150-300 meters off that with no issues. If you are worried about something get a ground guide or walk it your self. Oh and watch your height and enjoy!
Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #6

The Palazo is a Freightliner chassis most likely the XCS same as our Winnebago 34T. They do sit lower than the Ford F53/59 gas chassis even when aired up for travel. Have them dump the air and inflate again and you'll see the difference.

99% sure it has the Schwintek/LCI slides. Read up on them before you go back. With the engine running run them in and out 3 or 4 times while wife/whomever watches from outside. Looking for smooth operation, front and rear extend/retract evenly and no abnormal noises or binding. Inspect the wormgear tracks attached to the side of the slides when extended, checking for abnormal wear.

During roadtest while creaks are normal listen for any loud creeking/snapping/popping from slide area. This in addition to a full body and chassis checkout. Review maintenance records and make sure the owners manuals are present for ALL components.

There are many owners here better versed to advise you. Check NADA price guide and web search for comparison pricing.

John
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #7

Here is some good reading, I would pass just because of the slides.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Thor Palazzo The Good Bad And Ugly Please
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Winnebago, Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out system - Problems ??
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #8

Many thanks for the advise. We will be sure to read up on the slides and will go over the coach with a fine tooth comb. 😎
JacRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #9

45k miles and never an issue, and we love the single step on this XCS lower chassis

by the way, per someone else's note about slides, the engine cannot be on when trying to run the slides in/out
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
Community Moderator

generally no concerns, but i have seen in one occasion that an rv was trying to turn to a grocery parking lot where was higher than street; its hitch plowed the street and stuck. a cop came over and blocked the road, calling a tow truck to do the job...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis