Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Low hanging branches - what do you do?

I was wondering what you guys do when you come upon a street with low hanging branches. Do you just drive through it slowly and hope it doesn't tear up your roof/AC or scratch up the paint?

I noticed that in my neighborhood there are plenty of overhanging branches. I see the delivery truck's roofs hitting (brushing under) these branches from time to time. With a roof height of 12'11" on some of these MHs, it seems that there would be a lot of rural streets where this could be an issue.

I thought about carrying a pole-saw (pruner) to deal with a bad branch or two, but it would not be practical to prune the entire street.

How many times have this happened to you? What do you do?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I was wondering what you guys do when you come upon a street with low hanging branches. Do you just drive through it slowly and hope it doesn't tear up your roof/AC or scratch up the paint?

I noticed that in my neighborhood there are plenty of overhanging branches. I see the delivery truck's roofs hitting (brushing under) these branches from time to time. With a roof height of 12'11" on some of these MHs, it seems that there would be a lot of rural streets where this could be an issue.

I thought about carrying a pole-saw (pruner) to deal with a bad branch or two, but it would not be practical to prune the entire street.

I typically drive slow and hope they don't hit too hard as long as its just little branches and stuff hanging down. If its a big branch I have the wife check it as we drive through to make sure we don't hit. I try to stay away from the smaller back roads for this reason. I once hit a set of telephone/cable wires that were too low with the antenna and since then i've been extra careful.
Knoxie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #3

Cut them out of your way, go around or find someplace to go, they will scratch your coach up and possibly knock some things off of it.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

Carry a saw with a pole for parks. Used it a few times [emoji106]
Woody57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #5

or swing into the oncoming traffic lane if possible. not many alternatives.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

In some cities/towns there are requirements as to how far branches may extend into the public right of way. That may also include how high limbs must be trimmed to allow safe passage. In my area the limbs are not suppose to extend more than three feet over the sidewalk or street. Further, they must be trimmed so that there is 10 feet of free space under the limbs.

That said we all know not everyone does what they should, either thru negligence or neglect. I believed my trees were not a problem until I obtained a 40' DP with a height of 12'7" and discovered even following the rules presented a problem.

I would not recommend pruning someone's trees as who knows what that might result in. Driving around limbs, if it can be done safely, seems the best course of action.

I volunteer in a National Conservation Park as the head of the Native Plant Team, teach pruning techniques for Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and will prune trees/bushes at RV parks if necessary. I usually introduce myself and ask to trim whatever I think is needed. Typically they are happy to have me do "their" work especially when they find I'm "well trained". A park in Arizona offered me a job after I cleaned up my site but that is too much like work.

Drive around the low branches ..........

MrB1LL
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Contact the City or County Public Works Department where you live. I believe the standard is 15' minimum over most public roadways. Trees on private property are the responsibility of the property owner but they can be ordered to prune the trees if they hinder the public way.

That is the way it is in the City I live in.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

I carry a pole saw, ladder and pruners. I keep all my RV's waxed and spotless clean. There's no way I'm scuffing one up. We have one main campground we use for the summer and before our first trip I go up in the truck and trim. Do the same on the single lane road we live on twice a year.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #9

Squint, duck and drive on.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Okay - drive around the branches whenever possible (that would be my first choice, and the most obvious solution) and carry a pole saw for when you can't drive around it.

Sounds good. I have a gas powered Echo ("Pro Attachment Series") that includes a chainsaw attachment on a 6 ft extension. That would make quick work of it.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately I know another answer to this. Find (as we did) a good local detailer that can get most of these out with a wax job and buffing. Every time I go a little crazy and start cussing under my breath my wife will ask "what did you say?". I tell her "there went another $300!".

I work at NOT finding these streets.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #12

Most muncipalities, towns, counties, states have a minimum clearance law. That's why trees near streets often have funny shapes--they've been pruned. Still, low hanging "fruit" can be a problem. And can cause expensive repairs to equipment on the roof of a MH or RV. I try to drive around such "fruit" whenever possible. I will even slow down and wait for oncoming traffic to pass and then go into the other lane--though this doesn't happen often. Been lucky so far.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #13

Like others I carry a pole saw if I need to trim a site but that doesn't do much good driving down a street. I do have scratches on the top of the front cap only visible from the roof so yes I have hit a few of them so far. I can't imagine a way around never finding one with a 13' tall coach.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #14

Had a lot of low branches on about 5 blocks between my house and a main street that I had to just drive around. I trimmed a lot of the branches over a number of months and even got a visit from the local police, compliments of one of the property owners. After explaining and showing him the branches I cut that day, he just said that it looked like I was doing the city a favor and left.
After that I went to the street dept. with my problem, they suggested I go to the code enforcement office. After some time there I insisted they come have a look and then decide.
In about two days one morning when we were getting up, there was a lot of noise out in the street and the street dept. had an end loader, dump trucks, chain saws, brush cutter and they were getting after it.
I talked to one of the guys and explained all my problem areas and he said it wouldn't be a problem when they get done, the boss said to cut it. Cut it they did, I can drive anywhere on the 5 blocks now and not come close to branches. My 5 blocks is all they trimmed up. I know they can't always keep the entire city trimmed up so I just avoid lesser used streets as much as possible. I'm happy and thank you Rogers St. Dept.