Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would never trim trees in the public right of way, nor those on someone else's property. That's asking for legal trouble. Driving around them is the first option. If that's not possible, using a broom or something to hold them up out of the way as I drive past is the next option.

As for trimming, leave that to the city, county, or property owner, and even then only if it's a route that I will be taking more than once. You have no legal right to do it yourself, and surely lack the liability insurance that would be required. Sorry, but that's the world we currently live in.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I just recently got on my city's website and submitted a work request with a friendly note. They will be cutting the trees on my street soon.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #17

We trimmed ours, the neighbors all encroach the road by 30 feet and it's only one lane. The pines did a number on my fiberglass roof.

We have street signs but until everyone got together and hired a contractor to pave the road it was dirt. There are no snow plows and no garbage service. My son had to walk a mile to get to the bus stop. There is no way the county cares. The neighbors didn't seem to care. It sucked, a mile of arm muscle burning hell. Lol next time I'm hiring the guys that do the trees for the city. Lol
Old 09-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am lucky. The City arborist is my son-in-law so all I do is tell him what trees are hitting the top of the RV.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #19

This is what I use the CB radio antenna on the spring mount for, it is a feeler to check the clearance when things are questionable. Unfortunately I only have one on the drivers side, though I am thinking of adding a second "decorative" one on the passenger side just for the feeler aspect.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #20

Where I live I take note of the location of the low hanging limbs and call the county - they make a work order and within a couple weeks the trees are trimmed.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I was wondering what you guys do when you come upon a street with low hanging branches. Do you just drive through it slowly and hope it doesn't tear up your roof/AC or scratch up the paint?

I noticed that in my neighborhood there are plenty of overhanging branches. I see the delivery truck's roofs hitting (brushing under) these branches from time to time. With a roof height of 12'11" on some of these MHs, it seems that there would be a lot of rural streets where this could be an issue.

I thought about carrying a pole-saw (pruner) to deal with a bad branch or two, but it would not be practical to prune the entire street.

How many times have this happened to you? What do you do?

If they are in your local area call your county road maintance and have them remove them.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Was going to a specific site at a COE park. Asked park attendent to cut low branches in that site before we got there. They did it but wasn't high enough. Second cutting got it done mostly right. I finished job once I pulled in, with my pruning saw.
Watch out, in many park it's against rule for you to cut.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #23

I have not run into any problems on city/state roads.... If there are any low limbs, trucks take care of them.

Camp sites are a different story. I often find a nice camp site, except for limbs too low to get my 13' tall MH under.

I carry a saw. I don't cut huge limbs, just those up to about 3" or 4" diameter and then burn the evidence
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I call the City and ask them to cut the branches. When they don't I get the RV out go the branches and park in the middle of the street blocking both lanes, crawl up and start cutting in about 15 minutes the Police show up followed by the Street Department Truck with some trimming gear. Works Great. Richard
Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
When I posted this question - I was thinking of those locations away from home when you make "that turn onto a rural street or into campground/boondock site" and you see a row of low branches.

Calling the city or municipality to come out and trim in that situation is not going to work.

You either turn around, drive through the brush, have significant other move branches, or cut them.

Sounds like many here "take matters into their own hands" (and use saw).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
When I posted this question - I was thinking of those locations away from home when you make "that turn onto a rural street or into campground/boondock site" and you see a row of low branches.

Calling the city or municipality to come out and trim in that situation is not going to work.

You either turn around, drive through the brush, have significant other move branches, or cut them.

Sounds like many here "take matters into their own hands" (and use saw).
Thats what we planned to do with our new pole saw. Keep it on the rig and trim as needed. Although maintained campgrounds are usually clear and would probably clear them for you. Pole saws aren't real effective on soft branches so a pole pruner is a good idea too.

A side note. I have come across campgrounds where there is a rough entrance/route and a maintained entrance/route. Ive been checking reviews/maps etc to avoid the wrong way in.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If the low hanging branches are in our route to our destination, & it's too late or not feasible to turn around, we do our best to go slow so any damage is minimized.

A couple years ago, all residents in our housing development received letters from the township instructing to trim all trees overhanging the roadways to 14ft & all overhanging the sidewalks to 8ft. Since we park in front of our home to load/unload, ours were already trimmed to well within specs. However, the letter didn't state what consequences would be forthcoming if non-compliant, so many of our neighbors did no trimming. To this day, to get out of our development, we have to carefully drive through overhanging branches. I should probably contact the township to find out what they intend to do with those folks who disregarded the letter.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have no problem with trees branches on county or state roads. Most places that have regular trash trucks traveling their roads have no problems either. Recently, I called my cousin before getting to his back road area. Since my MH is taller than his I asked that he check for low branches.

He did and trimmed many trees on the road leading to his home. They don't have garbage trucks in that area. He used a small generator and pole saw to clear any branches for me. He did not worry about arborists, neighbors or cops. He just cut the suckers for me.