Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #29

While I understand the cost my only point is that if you look around you might find a 1 or 2 year old Baystar in your price range. That gives you the High end gasser in the price range you can deal with. That is assuming you want top end unit amenities. It somewhat depends on how big a hurry you are in to replace your existing unit and what you can find when you are here. That takes into account the large drop in value in the first year or two.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 12:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
I purchased my Kountry Star for a 1\4 of the orginal price. Put 15k into refurbishing and I'm still at wholesale value. So yes it can be done. The other problem with purchasing a new gas coach is (don't kill me here die hard Ford guys) your chassis choices are Ford, Ford or Ford and I hate being boxed in.
I didn't really care for Ford either until I bought mine. We wanted a gas MH and when buying new you are correct Ford is the only Chassis out there. All I can say is since I've had this MH and seeing the performance and the quality of the drive, I am sold on the Ford Chassis. Don't judge them or rule them out until you've actually driven the newer Ford chassis models as they have come a long way and are a quality product. And of course how they handle and ride has a lot to do with the way the manufacturer engineers the MH to the chassis.

I would say when Ford ran away with the MH chassis business that they put more effort into the quality on those chassis then they do their Car lines. Just my opinion after a year of ownership, over 10,000 miles driven, we love ours and it sure changed my opinion of Ford.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
I hear GM is going to start producing a new WH chassis with an 8.8 gasser. Sweet!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Believe it when I see it. Spartan was going to do the same and it never materialized.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodie View Post
I hear GM is going to start producing a new WH chassis with an 8.8 gasser. Sweet!

Government Motors isn't involved. Work Horse was sold to a private equity firm when Navistar got on financial trouble. GM sold the rights to the 8.1 when they dropped production to help their CAFE mpg average. Power Solutions International took the 8.1 and engineered it into this new 8.8.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:21 AM   #34

I read NaviStar is going to start building a gas chassis with the GM 6.0 litre engine for 16,000 and 18,000 lb chassis and yes, use an 8.8 litre engine for larger platforms. I read this was going to materialize by the end of this year.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodie View Post
Workhorse has nothing to do with General Motors, although it very well could be that the 8.8 liter Power Solutions International engine that they plan on using, is a remake of the GM 8.1 that they could have purchased the rights to and the 6.0, as well.
To clarify some of this....

Workhorse to Re-enter RV Chassis Market
With RV demand growing stronger, the company plans to begin production of Class A Motorhome RV chassis at the Workhorse Union City plant: Plans call for delivery of RV chassis in 2015. The Workhorse nationwide network of over 400 dealerships will support and service the Motorhome vehicles.

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail a friend

The steady growth back to strong current RV volumes, coupled with industry demand and interest, has resulted in the Workhorse brand re-entering the RV Chassis Market.

CINCINNATI, OH (PRWEB) May 20, 2015

Workhorse Group Inc. (OTCQB: WKHS) announced today plans to re-enter production of RV chassis at the Workhorse Union City, IN plant.

Workhorse has been recognized as a leader in RV Chassis throughout the strong RV marketplace of the mid-2000s. The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association estimates RV volume was nearly 33,000 units per year in 2007, dropping to 5,900 units in 2009, and has been on a steady incline, with Class A Motorhome 2014 volume of over 21,800 units per year.

The steady growth back to strong current RV volumes, coupled with industry demand and interest, has resulted in the Workhorse brand re-entering the RV Chassis Market.

“Our RV manufacturing customers have always relied on the dependability and performance of the Workhorse RV chassis,” said Stoney Steenekamp, President of AMP Trucks Inc., a subsidiary of Workhorse Group Inc. “Today, we believe the RV market is strong once again. With the growing demand we have recently seen, it just made sense for us to begin entering back into production.”

Over the years, the Workhorse brand established itself as a leader in building RV chassis, with dependable product solutions and strong support through a network of more than 400 dealerships and service centers across the country.

Workhorse intends to ramp up production of the Class A Motorhome chassis at the Workhorse Union City, IN plant, which is currently in limited production of the Workhorse E-GEN™ vehicle, an EPA-approved electric truck chassis with onboard generator for the medium-duty truck segment. The E-GEN vehicle allows fleet operators to choose gasoline, electric, propane, or CNG fuel options.

The Workhorse RV Chassis line will be an improved design, offering both 6.0L and powerful 8.8 liter gasoline engines, coupled with an Allison transmission. The 8.8L engine is designed to match diesel towing ability and mileage.

“It gives us great delight to once again take our place in the RV Chassis market,” continued Steenekamp. “We believe the demand is there, we will be building an improved RV chassis line, and we fully expect our Workhorse W-16 and W-22 Class A Motorhome chassis to quickly be recognized as leaders in the category.”

About Workhorse Group Inc.
Previously a division of Navistar, the Workhorse brand along with the Workhorse Union City, IN assembly plant, and network of over 400 dealerships was sold to Workhorse Group Inc. (OTQBB: WKHS) in 2013.

Workhorse Group Inc. manufactures electric drive systems for medium-duty, class 3-6 commercial truck platforms, and can equip its Workhorse chassis with electric, gasoline, propane, or CNG engines. The company is re-entering the RV Chassis market, and will also be building Class A Motorhome chassis at the Workhorse Union City, IN plant. For additional information visit Workhorse Advanced Vehicles | Innovation built on a tradition of excellence.

Workhorse Custom Chassis
Caimin Flannery, COO
630-418-0287
Caimin(at)workhorse(dot)com

Public Relations:
Mike Dektas
Creativestorm.com.
mike(at)creativestorm(dot)com
513-266-3590
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #36

OP - I'll mention two coaches not often included in threads like this.

Tripple E - Makes a good well insulated coach. Above average wood craftsmanship.

Rexhall - Makes some of the safest coaches on the road. They build a steel frame safety cage around the front cab. They also may have some of the UFO chassis coaches available(?). This is a rear engine gas 8.1 engine. Rexhall also builds two sided full wall slides. When I walked thru the factory, we went into a coach with both slides out, and two or three couples could have square danced in the space it made! They also has a full one piece fiberglass roof.

I'd also suggest that if you take your time shopping, with a list of what is important to the two of you, that you should not eliminate 2, 4, or even older coaches. As long as they're well cared for, and lower mileage. (Gas is what you were asking about, strike the mileage concern about DP's.).

This would open up Mountain Aire, National (Dolphin I think was their top gasser. And they had the 8.1 available in some of these. But they also made other models that are well though of by their owners.)

I personally would be targeting any of the F53 chassis with at least the 5spd auto. But would not walk away from a Workhorse with the 8.1 and 5 or 6spd - if that RV was well taken care of.

One other benefit about possibly going a bit older but gently used and well cared for, is the budget of the cost will be lower. And that should leave a nice bucket of funds to use to customize the interior to what you two may specifically like.

Best of luck to you on your search,
Smitty
Old 05-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #37

Triple E Owners Club
Triple E is a great coach but they are not building A class any more. I think 2010 was the last year for them.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
The first thing I would consider is Floor Plan. Determine the floor plan that will give you the best comfort and convenience during your stays or year long full time.

You will be running into inclement weather during your tours so having adequate space to relax, entertain and live is important. We like the washer/dryer as well as the bath and a half.

Determining your requirements may reduce the short list of contenders. The chassis across most manufacturers in your price range is common to all of them. All that is left is the quality and workmanship. If you stay above entry level coaches you will get slightly better quality.

There is nothing wrong with entry level. They are generally produced on the same assembly lines as the top end coaches. The only difference is in the quality and quantity of features and appliances. They may use particle board instead of real wood but can last as long as more expensive coaches if you take care of them.

IMO all manufacturers can/will produce a coach from hell. All you have to do is read the threads on this forum. No manufacturer has 100% satisfaction.

You will have to balance your need for features with your available budget to find the coach that best serves you needs. The few bits of warranty work will be minor compared to using a coach that does not fit your needs.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've owned a Tiffin Allegro, a Winnebago Brave & a Newmar Canyon Star. Here is my list, in order of preference: 1) Newmar Canyon Star (by far & for many reasons); 2) Tiffin Allegro & 3) Winnebago.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #40

Thanks all.
We did our research and choose floorplan we like.
Because we did not win the jackpot and our max is 75k we have to do some consessions.
We found a 2011 Newmar Country Star.
We are negotiating about the price.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hope it works for you. Newmar makes fine products.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
CONGRATULATIONS
Enjoy the FUN lifestyle!

austx is offline   Reply With Quote